• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

heater ?

TonkaBass

Lots of trouble with the big buddy heaters.

Pretty broad statement there, Mike#1... any examples confused?

Myself & most of the guys up here all use them, in some pretty harsh conditions, too... -50C plus windchill, etc eek without any problems. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one, TonkaBass. Get the bulk hose with regulator, too 2c .

Hawg... you might wanna' check to see if there's any air in your shelter. That's usually the first sign that the O2 sensor is trying to give you a fairly important message whistle.

I've had my fair share of issues with the buddy heaters not functioning properly in colder temps. The first one wouldn't stay lit for more than an hour and the 2nd one spit fireballs. I've been through 2 the past 2 seasons and just decided to buy a heater/cooker instead.

A lot of guys swear by the buddy heaters but I've just had too many issues in the past for me to purchase a 3rd one. I think a heater cooker would work nicely otherwise a big buddy would work as well.

Quote:
I think a heater cooker would work nicely otherwise a big buddy would work as well.

It's the Big Buddy that I was talking about, just to clarify. Low oxygen sensor will hopefully stop you from waking up dead, tip-over shutoff can be handy, too whistle.

As for the heater/cooker option...it does give you decent heat, but I have an expensive set of Gore-Tex bibs that got a bit too close to one, and I've got a few friends with big melted holes in their portables to ever come within roasting range of one ever again wink.

I too hear many issues w/ the Buddy Heater, however I have never had any issues with my Big Buddy. I always run on 1#'rs. However, if I was doing an overnighter, I'd run it on a 5# or larger. I use it to heat my Clam 6x12 Command Post pop-up.

Those that have had or heard of issues most likely they were using a 5lb or larger tank. If you use a buddy heater with a hose rather than the 1lb tanks you must use a filter.

The early units had some troubles, but I know several people who have the new ones and have no issues at all.

I am with Magnum...I like my Mr. Heater/Cooker. It does not have a fan, but it heats nice and is portable and light to get in the deer stand. Plus it doubles as a stove for cooking some grub in the shack.

If you need a fan, go with the light/fan combo and that will do everything you need.

You can use the 1 lb. greenie's or get yourself a hose extension and run a hose to a tank inside or outside.

It has always kept my Clam 6800 plenty warm when they sides were banked properly.

I do run a tent fan on the ceiling works great, I also modified my heater to adjust from about 2500 to over 20.000 btu. Been a geat $19 investment and served me well these 25 years, luckily havent burnt anything up yet but a known risk I take for the reliability. The buddys just take up to much room and didn't care for their ability to keep an even heat and carrying 4 extra batterys for the fan.

I saw that you modified your mr heater/cooker. I was going to buy one, but didn't like the 3 settings. I wanted to be able to reduce to a lower setting. What did you do to modify your heater? did you remove and replace the valve?