• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help me Lazer pro or Strikelite

jnwb

I would like to here from guys how have ran both. I thought I wanted the strikelite2 but have now heard very good things anout the solo. If you have a solo have you tried amsoil saber at 100 to 1? If so how is the smoke and smell level. Is the strikelite worth the extra 50 bucks? Which do you think is the most reliable? I will be buying in 2 days and want to make the wright choice. I fish both in a perm redrilling holes and in a portable. Probably drill 15 holes a day and fish 3 days a week.

Thank You

Since you will be redriling partially frozen holes in a perm, I would recomend the Mag, not the Lazer shaver. You will go through too many sets of blades with the shavers.

One session of reopening old holes will pretty much takes 50% out of the Lazer blades.

The Mag chipper system will do both, very well.

The solo is going to be a lot more durable for you compared to the strike lite. But both are great engines. I went through this process last season and went with the solo. It is an awesome engine. If I only drilled about 15 holes per day I would go with the electric.

Jason Erlandson

The solo is going to be a lot more durable for you compared to the strike lite. But both are great engines. I went through this process last season and went with the solo. It is an awesome engine. If I only drilled about 15 holes per day I would go with the electric.

Jason Erlandson

Not sure I agree with this one here. I have the original strike lite and my only complaint was the auger freezing. That Robin powerhead is awesome and light. I also like the 4 stroke for not having to mix the gas and dealing with the smoke. That 2 stroke smell makes me feel sick.

I'm sure the Solo is awesome, but the Robin 4 stroke will be just as dependable. You can't really go wrong, but those lazer blades are not made to re-open holes. get the chipper blade if you will be doing any of that.

Thank you for the input. I do not want an electric. I think in the long run it will cost more to own. At least with my experince with small batteries is they only last about 2 years before they need to be replaced. They are not cheap to replace. There are also some days where I drill 30 plus holes. I was just putting an average week to start with. Chode does your strikelite start well when it has been in 0 degrees for a few hours? I was thinking the 4 stroke would last longer than the 2 stroke. Now that they have a metal auger I would think they are good. But, with my experience the 2 stoke starts better in the cold.

Again Thank you all for the input this is a hard choice for me being I will have it for a long time and want to choose the right one.

I always here people saying that you can't reopen holes with laser blades. I do it all the time. It may not be quite as forgiving as the chipper for reopening but isn't really difficult at all. If the holes are shrunk in diameter but not froze over it is difficult but if they have froze over at all I have no problem. I've had a chipper for over 10 years and would I would never ever go back to one after getting a laser.

What I meant by durable is that with the Solo you can lay it down any way you would like without the worry of the carbs getting messed up or gas leaking somewhere it shouldn't. Both are great engines. I have some buddies that have drilled over 5000 holes with the Strike Lite. No problems at all. After using the Solo I am glad I chose the one I did.

Jason Erlandson

I never have a problem with the cold. It starts up right away and then I usually set it down for a couple minutes while I am getting prepared, by that time it is warm enough to get going.

I am very impressed with the powerhead, its the old composite flighting trapping snow and freezing is my only disappointment. I love that quiet little Robin engine.

And yes, you do need to be mindful which way you set your auger down, but I have never had a problem with it. Oh you do have to change the oil too, half a $1 jar every year.

I purchased a Strike-Lite last season and I've heard people complain about the composite auger freezing. I was told by a member of the Strikemaster pro-staff that you need to keep the auger spinning the entire way out of the hole. When I'm done drilling a hole in very cold weather I throttle it and the water flies off the auger. Never had one problem with freezing and I fish at least three days per week during the ice season.

The powerhead is very nice. One benefit that nobody really mentions is that one tank of gas lasts a long time. I fill mine up before a weekend trip and can drill a ton of holes without worrying about needing more gas. Great when you're a few miles out on Red or Mille Lacs.