• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Biting question...

My in-laws and I went for a ride not to long ago and it wasn't all that fun for me. My father-in-law was in front on a horse who puts his head down and just gos, and won't go if another horse is in front of him. The next horse in line was dead broke with a 16 year old girl riding him and they were great (especially since this horse used to not like girls..) then there was me in last place just in case the 16 year old had a problem, got behind, etc. My problem is the horse I was ridding was biting the horse in front of him on the butt almost the WHOLE time! I think the problem was that he thinks he "needs" to be in front. I tried turning him around and keeping him back and nothing worked! He is also to skiddish for other people to ride and being almost 16 hands, its a long way down. Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions?

My guess is that the horse you were riding was just being a brat. Holding him back or making him move his feet in another direction may have helped.However, not knowing your skill of riding and not knowing the level of training of the horse you were riding...it's difficult to know the exact right answer to give you.

I'm an experienced rider, I've been riding as long as I can remember. And the horse I was riding is trained. He is an 8 year old quarter horse. We have brought him out west elk hunting and he did really well. We were hoping to use him to pack out elk (we brought three horses that year) but never needed them. The only bummer is schedules are full and we don't get out as much as we'd like, so the horses don't get ridden as much as needed. We have one thats about 17, but shes the "kid" horse and I think she gets used the most when we get visitors smile