• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hard Water Wear

tsande00

OK so we have Vexilar, StrikeMaster, Ice Armor, Arctic Armor, etc.

What is the best suit out there? It's time to buy one and I've heard good things about all of them but want to make an informed purchase and not listen solely to salesmen. The Vexilar suit looks like a good deal for the money but I hate to take anything away from my Marcum flasher, lol. Arctic Armor seems spendy, but is the extra cost worth it? Does it do anything that the other suits don't do besides float? etc. etc. etc.

Would be nice to discuss this all in one thread rather than spread out.

i see that frabill has a suit now too. but its $600. i cant justify paying that much. i bought the vexilar suit at fleet farm on black friday. good deal and it seems very nice but im hopeing to get a good deal on the artic armor at the ice fishing show this weekend. i like that it floats good for late season open water as well as ice fishing

Ice Armor(blue) and Ice Armor X (grey)- Both like and proven, and the price is pretty good

Vexilar- Lots of fans of the Cold Snap bibs, and the price is great

Arctic Armor- Great stuff, it floats, bibs need better pockets, priced mid-high, What moe do you want out of a set?

Frabil Ice Suit- Mid priced and looks good on paper, but haven't seena set

Frabil Sno Suit- the macdaddy of suits, and priced to reflect it.

Original Sno suit- same as above?

There is just so many options out there. Like most things I"m probably better off going and getting hands on with the different brands before buying but it's still such a toss up.

Anybody try the Strikemaster gear? Haven't read anything on them yet.

I have the strike master suit and it is great. to test how good it was I put it on over just my boxers and stepped out side for a few minutes and never got cold. also remember the bikini ice fishing team uses strike master suits. strikemaster sold the complete suit at the ice show last year for only $160.00 (normally $280 at the shop when full price) they also had a online special after the show for $175.00 for the suit. that is when I got mine. my next suit thou will be a arctic armor suit for the floating ability even thou I have the SM suit. the only negative thing is the parka is on the heavy side but that is why it is so warm.

It depends on the temp but BEST out this year might be the Under Armor 3.0 base layer paired with the Snosuit brand top and bottom.

Last year I rocked the UA cold gear base layer with UA blade top and bottom with Guide Series Tech2O duck coat, Tech2O 150mg thimsulate gloves, and a pair of Blizzard Tracker Rocky's and @ sub-zero temps with a UA facemask this was a walk in the park and i'm lean.

If Santa was taking notes i'll rock UA 3.0 and Blade set this year.

Its Arctic Armor for me because of the floatation. Get them 1 size bigger than you normally wear.

I competely disagree with this, as I typically wear a Large in most clothing, but was swimming in the Large AA suit I tried on. I ended up with Medium bibs and a Large coat, but regret not getting a Medium coat as well as the Large seems too bulky on me. By stating that one should upsize one size is going to make it even worse! I couldn't even imagine wearing an XL suit, you'd have to search inside for me!

Has anyone had issues with their ice armor gear falling apart? I bought the gloves and returned them after 1 day of use. A friend of mine had the same thing happen with his gloves. The knuckles immediately start to shred followed by loose threading. Maybe it's only their gloves but I was'nt overly harsh on them like I am with all the GS Tech2O.

I used my Ice Armor for the first time tonight. Love it! Padded knees and behind were awesome for hole hopping. Nice and warm with jeans and a sweatshirt underneath.

Got it for $200 at the Cabela's event, so all in all I'm happy with the purchase.

When i look at which one to buy I spent about 2 hours with each one. i was torn between the strikemaster hard water wear and the IA grey. I spent 1 hr at sm and 1 hr at gander with the IA. i went with the strikemaster one and am very happy i did. The IA is very thick but the sm one does the smae thing with only 75% of the bulkyness. Keeps me very warm and i get cold very fast. It keeps me warm and dry and does have padded knees. The deal is just crazy at the ice show on these. My vote goes to the strikemaster hard water wear.

Wow, $160 for the whole suit? That is intriguing. Hope I stumble across that deal at the show this year.

Does AA every have any great sales? Anybody get any steal deals at the ice show last year on AA?

I don't know if they will be $160.00 this year or not. last year when I talked to them at the show they basically were selling them at cost and not making a profit on them. it was like advertising for them in a way. one person buys one and spreads the word the next thing you know they are making a profit based on the volume increase alone. plus one thing nice about them is that they will let you mix and match sizes. I am going to the show friday afternoon and can check it out and see what they are getting this year for them and report back here tommorow night .

Has anyone had issues with their ice armor gear falling apart? I bought the gloves and returned them after 1 day of use. A friend of mine had the same thing happen with his gloves. The knuckles immediately start to shred followed by loose threading. Maybe it's only their gloves but I was'nt overly harsh on them like I am with all the GS Tech2O.

Dont know about the gloves but the mitts have been excellent. I have 2 pair and after a full day on the ice when one pair gets wet i swap to the other pair. couldn't be happier....but wait! just spent the money for their belt strapped muff they sell. I see this being very useful and when i get too cold i still have the great mitts.

I have the blue suit as well. dressing smart with layers i have never been cold. that is not to say i wouldn't rather have another brand suit, howver, if i had a little more scratch to throw down on one. namely AA or maybe the new frabbill suit.

If one is just shopping for the cheapest priced suit, then do not look at the best ones out there as you typically get what you pay for. So many state I got it for this. The items with all the added features do run more. Kinda like buying a truck, add a option here and there and it costs more.

One thing you do have to remember is that if you purchase quality, it will cost more. I have worn most every brand suit out there except for the Arctic Shield.

The AA suit will float you if you fall in the water or go through the ice. That may not be a big deal to you, but I am sure it will be to your wife, kids and or family as they will not have to attend your funeral.

The AA suit is as warm as any and as I stated, it will float you. If a pocket is not in the exact locastion that you would like, really does not make that much difference.

My first suit was an Ice Armour and from there I ended up with the suit I personally feel has the most options and thats the AA suit.

Why are there no big sales out there? AA does not have to reduce the pricing due to the fact that so many want this suit. At the Ice show a few years ago, I worked the AA booth and the Ice Armour booth was directly across from us. Many people would start to try on the Ice Armour and they were at the same time watching the TV at the booth about how it will float you if you were to fall in. They ended up hanging up the Ice Armour and purchasing the AA. By Sunday, other companies had thier suits reduced by almost $100 to just sell them as noone was going that route. AA also states wht the suit will retailk for and a company cannot change that pricing. Normal industry standard for many companies.

Now, the Sno Suit by Frabil. What can one say, by far the warmest of them all for the ultimate in cold. The suit is a bit bulkier than the others but very, very warm. Yes, it runs a bit more but you do get what you pay for.

So, in the ned, in my eyes, the suit of choice for me is the AA suit and in the ultimate of cold, then we talk Sno Suit as the others do not even compare.

I believe the Sno Suits were on the big online store for less than $300.00. NOw that's a deal.

If I am looking for the best suit out there, AA and the Sno Suit will be with me and if I am looking for a cheaper suit, then I guess not.

If you are at the ice show and see a huge discount on the other suits, stop and ask yourself why, it is not that they want to make less in a sale, they just cannot move thier product.

Many say they have another suit but if they were to get another, it would be the AA. There is a reason for that.

It depends on the temp but BEST out this year might be the Under Armor 3.0 base layer paired with the Snosuit brand top and bottom.

Last year I rocked the UA cold gear base layer with UA blade top and bottom with Guide Series Tech2O duck coat, Tech2O 150mg thimsulate gloves, and a pair of Blizzard Tracker Rocky's and @ sub-zero temps with a UA facemask this was a walk in the park and i'm lean.

If Santa was taking notes i'll rock UA 3.0 and Blade set this year.

If you purchase a Sno Suit, you will not need any Under Arnour 3.0 baselayer on underneath, the suit is that warm.

This is one additional ice suit coming to the market this year. I have not seen it in person yet. It is not listed on their HSOforum (that I could find) however they have it on their FaceBook site. It was in the new Infisherman.

HT Enterprises has introduced a suit of their own for the 2010-2011 ice fishing season, Polar Fire will be available to ice anglers in late 2010. Warmth up to -60 and featuring a reflective strip visible for up to a mile away for safety.

I am very happy with my AA Suit. Great product. Like Ben_Fish_Catchin said my Ice Armor gloves are falling apart after a years and few outing this year of use. I would not buy those again.

Got the AA suit last year, after we sunk our boat duck hunting, I bought it to use for duck hunting, Ice fishing, and snowmobiling, and it works great for all three, I cant say Ive compared it to many other suits, but I do know that the fact that it floats is what sold it to me. The jacket is very comfy, the bibs were a little big for me, but do work out alright. I will be keeping it until a significantly better once comes out, or else this one wears out, which I don't think will happen too soon.