• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smelt

matthothand

If you plan on using smelt in MN for bait make sure you get it from a registered smelt processor and each package has a lot number and reciept. The regulations on using smelt for bait have changed and the smelt must be preserved atleast one of three ways by an approved person or business. I just got word that Fish Lake Bait in Harris was certified and they have smelt ready to go. With tightening smelt regs every year I figured somebody would have a hard time getting some so I thought I'd share. I'm going to pick up a bunch this week so I have it for a few trout trips later.

I just came back from the shop in Harris and he has a decent supply but cannot sell them until December 7. He charged me $7 a dozen and $3 to ship them to me after that date. very nice guy. They were about7 inches long and were drying with a mixture of borax and salt.

you are correct. they did have them when i called last. apperently they did know of the new regs so they had to toss what they have. they are now in the proccess of figuring out how to sell them within the law. they will try as soon as possible to be able to sell them. in my opinion they are one of the better bait shops around. good luck.

The guy at the Harris Bait shop showed me the boxes of smelt that he had packed and ready to go and then he found out about the new regs. He was in the process of opening all the packages and processing them within the new regs. He had one batch that was going to be ready on dec 7. They were sitting on cardboard 'drying'?? after being coated with what he said was borax and salt. They had been gutted before as well when he had them in the other packaging.

The guy at the Harris Bait shop showed me the boxes of smelt that he had packed and ready to go and then he found out about the new regs. He was in the process of opening all the packages and processing them within the new regs. He had one batch that was going to be ready on dec 7. They were sitting on cardboard 'drying'?? after being coated with what he said was borax and salt. They had been gutted before as well when he had them in the other packaging.

Just as an FYI, gutted smelt/cisco tend not to be as successful for bait as the whole smelt/cisco. I'd use the gutted ones only if I couldn't find whole ones. Not saying they won't work, just that they won't work as well.