• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Target Separation on Flashers?

STORE500

I have a question. What is the differenct between target separation and target I.D.? Reading the specs on the ICE-55 the target separation is 2 1/2", and on the Fl-20 the target I.D. is 1/2". Does this mean that the ICE-55 will not pick up a small crappie jig in 20'-30' of water? Will one of these units pick up a small jig better? Thank you for your replies.

I have no issues with picking up fish or jigs in 20fow with my Ice 55.

+1, no problem with mine either. I think its more marketing speak than anything. I fish next to a Vex and a Marcum all the time, and we can't tell any difference in "target separation" between any of them. Maybe there is some difference, but in real world applications - I am not convinced.

Regardless of specs; Target separation is the minimum distance two objects can be apart underwater and the locator is able to detect and display them as two separate objects.

So... in theory, with a ICE-55 you may not be able to see your jig if it's within 2 1/2" of another object underwater.

marine_man

Not exactly, your gain setting and the orientation of your jig to the center of the beam of the cone has a lot to do with it.

The separation should be half, while in the zoom mode.

True separation test procedure: Start by setting 3 split shots 2.5" apart in a string.

Then lower to a set depth and set your gain to read all 3 shots well. Then re set the shots, and tighten up the span 1/4" at a time at the same depth and same gain setting.

Do this tell they wish to merge, and then back off 1/4 and you know the true separation capability of that particular sonar unit.

You will find the true separation for that unit as you narrow the shots up.

Do not alter the gain once you begin the test, set your base line gain first thing, and proceed from there.

The X inch target separation means the unit can distinguish between two different target that are X inches away.

If you are looking at your jig and a fish comes within 1" of it, you will be able to see this with a 1/2" target separation unit. If the unit says 2" target separation, you will only see one blob on your screen that is actually 2 separate targets.

However, can back up HL's statement. Have a buddy with a Bird 55, he can see as much as my FL-18 can. Honestly, I don't think there is a whole lot of difference between manufacturers for the majority of people.

I guess I will toss a wrench in here. With my older flasher I could not see my jig once it was down close to the bottom, like within a inch. Now with my new flasher,LX-5, I can see just about any jig as soon as I lift off the bottom. Im not so much worried about that as I am being able to look at bottom and tel if there is a bottom laying walleye causing a flicker/flutter on the bottom reading. This is also very handy fishing eelpout but who really fishes for them. wink

Target ID = Marketing.

Now a Marcum LX-5 will distinguish to targets that are ¾” apart when zoomed in. Basically it can write and process the digital signal fine enough that ¾ of an inch will show up as a void on your screen where as units that have less target separation “blur” them together making them appear as one or part of the bottom. Now this makes a huge difference when it comes to light biting pannies, or bottom type fish that are negative and hugging the bottom pretty tight. It gives you a solid indication of what’s going on where as others cannot get this to work.

Now from what I understand and the answer I got from a rep was Target ID has much more to do with the screen and how many or few segments can be displayed or what percentage of them are displayed or not displayed pertaining to the analog signal the head is receiving. The unit can still only truly separate roughly 2” but the screen resolution itself will display the 2” target separation as ½” “Target ID” on a smaller depth scale or zoomed in. Now what does that do for you? Marcum uses a true optical zoom where information is processed and written to match the zoom requirements where as other companies are simply blowing up a picture, just as if you take a 4”x6” photo and zoom into it on your computer screen. What happens is that picture becomes fuzzy or pixilated correct? Now with slightly higher resolution screens some companies claim this pixilation or fuzziness is less making for better Target ID…still not true separation. To be honest its makes about as much sense to me as trying to ice skate uphill but it is a way to put a claim of fractional “Target ID” on the box that is easily confused with true target separation.

All I know is I LOVE my LX5, but have been schooled to the point of embarrasment a couple of times by a guy with an FL8. It's more about understanding what it going on and how the fish are reacting than target separation.

I can tell you this though, I figured out a way to even the score during those times. I would just reach down and turn on my wide beam and aim the ducer his way a bit. Problem solved. wink

Guess who has an LX5 now? grin

Now from what I understand and the answer I got from a rep was Target ID has much more to do with the screen and how many or few segments can be displayed or what percentage of them are displayed or not displayed pertaining to the analog signal the head is receiving.

That sounds right.

20'x12"=240inches

240inches/525 (# of led segments in the screen) = .457 inches/led segment.

I truely see no real difference in seeing fish and jigs from my LX5 to my Ice 55. They both pick up jigs and fish very close to the bottom.

With both I see a fish, my jig and then catch one. Thats all I need. I catch fish with both units so that works for me. They can throw around all the numbers and mumbo jumbo but they both catch fish. I do not catch more fish with one over the other. I could go fishing with either unit and be just fine with it, they are both good units.

All of the units today have newer technology and as a fisherman, the majority simply want to see the mark and jig and then catch the fish.

In regards to the sinker test for target seperation, I am not fishing for fish that small. If I can see the fish and the jig, then again, thats all I need.

As long as we are comparing newer technology units, they are all fish catching machines and one should purchase the one that fits thier needs the best in regards to what zoom they want and the transducer beam.

I really believe it's all marketing.

Just being honest.

I have been using an FL18 since the year they appeared on the market. I have heard so many good things about the LX5 that I bought one yesterday. Now I will be able to compare them myself. I wish I could afford an FL22 also as long as I'm comparing flashers.