• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nocturnal Deer

I would totally take up bow hunting, extend your season and hunt some no to low pressured deer.

Your stands might be in bedding cover but is it the right bedding cover? You might have to go in deeper or get into the nasty stuff you had talked about earlier. Or setup many different stands in one location to keep them guessing. Those deer might have your old stands patterned, or they could hear you walking in the morning and know you are there. Maybe try to come in super early or sneak in late one morning and see if that works.

You might also have an area that is great bedding cover but has little to no trees to hunt out of. You could try hunting the ground or cutting a few small shooting lanes into this cover.

One other thing I do is avoid hunting that perfect wind, if you think about it, when you are hunting an area you expect the deer to come from and the wind is in your face those deer are going to move away from you with the wind in their face a lot of the time. I have seen countless times on the web where someone posts a photo of a nice buck right under their stand during daylight, they chose to hunt a different stand because the wind was wrong. Well was the wind really wrong when the deer showed up? I try and setup a cross or angled wind so the deer can move into the wind and feel somewhat safe but I still might be able to get a shot at them.

It sounds like you have some great land to hunt but maybe it's time to change up the tactics a little and try something new. That can be hard to do when you have had great success in the past but hey, what do you have to lose.

All great ideas if and a big IF you have 300 acres to hunt. Unfortunately for us in 3B you are lucky to have 30 acres to yourself. I'd love to move my stand to the sanctuaries, but they are on the wrong side of the line and the deer know it. So you are stuck in the same stand you usually hunt and hope for the best. On a side note, I don't like just looking at harvest numbers to determine the success of a season. Most hunters we talked shot a deer, but only saw 3 the whole week, vs shooting a deer while seeing 30. Purely based on harvest it was the same year, but not to the hunter.

If you don't have a ton of land to hunt don't be afraid to find some public land. Sure you will run into the crazies/crowds but if you do your homework/scouting you can find plenty of land to hunt by yourself and that is usually where the deer like to hang out. You can burn out 30-40 acres pretty fast but if you also have some public land locations you can rotate through and go into those sanctuaries and keep the pressure down. This might not be advised for rifle season but it works great bow season.

I have permission to hunt on two different pieces of private land but I often pass them up for better locations I found on public land.

Here too Bear55. I'm hunting 80 acres of public land with private land on 3 sides.

MuskyBuck, I'm confused. You say you're hunting private land, with numerous stands, but the periphery of the land is getting disturbed by numerous vehicles every night. Is the adjacent land with all the vehicle traffic someone else's land? Pretty hard to get around that if this is indeed the situation. Deer will no doubt stick to the middle of the woods till it's real quiet and dark.

Probably gotta look for another place to hunt.

Right on my property lines are like race tracks and since the deer cross other properties, I'm screwed, most of these people don't realize what they are doing is affecting daylight deer travel, then they ask me tracks everywhere but where are the deer, well you've scared them for days on end and mature deer in my area fill up all night long and I'm nearly convinced the first truck down the gravel each morning is there signal to clear out of the fields and get to the hideout to conserve energy, I mean now with snow and knowing what fields they are using by 5:00AM those fields are vacant, they are back in the bedding grounds just listening for trouble, then they select a spot to bed and do the same the next day, this cold weather though may help out and that clown that claimed they feed every 3 hours or whatever is such a crock, they might gurgle up a stomach chamber or 2 in bed but they are not feeding every 3 hours. If I stumble across a bed it's melted to the dirt from a lack of any movement. But, even leaving 1 property alone for 3 weeks they still have a real nocturnal bit about em, can't be pressure, 1 hunt in 35 days is that pressure by 1 guy on 100 acres of swamp and 240 of field with sloughs, but man those proerty lines are hounded very frequently, anyway the MB isn't done yet, got 5 muzzy days dilemma is do I forfeit those days to pound guaranteed geese ?

There are a couple big hosses in our swamp still. At least I think so. Haven't heard they have been shot. I say go for it. Sounds like the next snow may hit Mills Friday. Maybe an early Friday or late Saturday sit will be the magic one.

Canopy I am actually from the same general area as you, you are seeing them back in the big timber. I sat in a different field tonight with the same results. Going to have to change tactics to larger cover and try to get back in there a little bit. The only problem with big timber around here is that you can't shoot very far typically, generally small thick popple.

It's cool to see some solutions for what to do when the deer in your area go nocturnal due to hunting pressure.

My solution two years ago was to set up stand in funnels and fencelines and wait for people to drive deer to me, and to stalk small patches of cover, or as I call it "kicking brushpiles".

These may not be options for everyone, but in the past both methods have produced for me. Two years ago nothing seemed to go right, though.

Quite a bit different terrain in the northern 2/3's of MN eyehunter.

SW 1/3 of the state and IA where you are from that might work.

But on top of that, you have a lot different hunter pressure down in IA, as well as season structure. (if that partly what you are referring to for strategy)

Quite a bit different terrain in the northern 2/3's of MN eyehunter.

SW 1/3 of the state and IA where you are from that might work.

But on top of that, you have a lot different hunter pressure down in IA, as well as season structure. (if that partly what you are referring to for strategy)

I hunt in area 347, Fillmore County, MN, which is in the southeast, not southwest, part of the state. Iowa's deer management philosophy has nothing to do with me, as I have never hunted in Iowa.

But yes, my strategies for dealing with nocturnal deer may not work for everyone. That is why I said "these [hunting funnels and stalking deer] may not be options for everyone" in my earlier post.

Right on my property lines are like race tracks and since the deer cross other properties, I'm screwed, most of these people don't realize what they are doing is affecting daylight deer travel, then they ask me tracks everywhere but where are the deer, well you've scared them for days on end and mature deer in my area fill up all night long and I'm nearly convinced the first truck down the gravel each morning is there signal to clear out of the fields and get to the hideout to conserve energy, I mean now with snow and knowing what fields they are using by 5:00AM those fields are vacant, they are back in the bedding grounds just listening for trouble, then they select a spot to bed and do the same the next day, this cold weather though may help out and that clown that claimed they feed every 3 hours or whatever is such a crock, they might gurgle up a stomach chamber or 2 in bed but they are not feeding every 3 hours. If I stumble across a bed it's melted to the dirt from a lack of any movement. But, even leaving 1 property alone for 3 weeks they still have a real nocturnal bit about em, can't be pressure, 1 hunt in 35 days is that pressure by 1 guy on 100 acres of swamp and 240 of field with sloughs, but man those proerty lines are hounded very frequently, anyway the MB isn't done yet, got 5 muzzy days dilemma is do I forfeit those days to pound guaranteed geese ?

Musky it sounds like you are doing everything you can to keep the pressure low but the pressure around you is intense and causing all of your problems. I also agree that the deer feeding every 4 hours is more than likely on low or no pressured deer, however I think pressured deer might getup for a stretch some time during the day and do a little feeding but they are probably feeding right in their bedroom and may not travel more then 20-30 yards to get a snack and then bed down again.

I am thinking to hunt these deer you have to get right on top of them, you might have a great hunting area but you have to be in the spot within spot if you catch my drift. If you have 100 acres of swamp, maybe the daytime movement is only on 10 or 20 acres of your swamp. When I hunt the public swamps there are areas where I see bucks moving without fear but other parts of the swamp they start getting nervous. The key is getting in there slow and quiet, if you have 4 hours to hunt you might spend half that time slowly walking into your stand, pretty much still hunt to your stand and then climb in as quietly as possible.

Thanks again Bear, the things you mentioned I've tried for many years, it used to pay off, but what I'll take from your words are possibly to locate a few ladder stands that I'll rarely hunt, once deer sightings go to nill, so the stand(s) are in place and can only get hunted with proper wind direction and taking that extra time to get to it, chances are the deer will be there so I'm figuring mainly evening hunts, trouble with ladder stands are you get halfway up and they can see or hear your movement and peg you as they've been on high alert for a month. Just got to hope that doesn't happen. Yo frosty, definitely monster bucks are in our area as none of us got any of them or saw any of them, but my gut feeling and 30 years experience in that swamp tells me some of them for sure especially with the peak of the rut past, are living across the road behind my uncles barn where there's about 240 acres that hasn't been touched all season meaning no one went into that chunk of bedding cover, if people have then look to the NW, west of the lagoon, currently the best food sources are to our west and NW, but either way, they likely are nearly nocturnal anyway. I'm going tomorrow to check behind my uncles barn after the morning hunt, but this weather again, might be easier to check it Sunday. Saw 0 last weekend counting Monday, I can't do any worse than that.:) I'm going Sat.,Sun,Mon.

Musky it sounds like you have been decades ahead of the rest of us with your hunting tactics so I am sure you will find them. Once you pick up a bow I have a feeling you will start seeing the deer like you use to.

If those deer are going to bust you in a ladder stand, maybe take a section out and hunt lower. Some of the swamps I hunt I am only 6 or 8 feet off the ground, can't get much higher because the trees are pretty small and the deer would see me anyway.

Geez Bear55, we need to have or at least I'll drink several beers,after posting, I thought maybe I should pull a section from those ladder stands that I cringe as I climb, those are in mainly willow type areas where trees are slim pickings. The bow theory is going to happen, I blew it this year as we had about a 150 inch buck, 8pointer, large rack frequently right where I wanted him, to close the deal opens another can of worms but I won't make that mistake again. Never saw him again after October 1st, I kinda worry about poaching in our neighborhood, I'm so familiar with almost every truck in the area and property owners, a few have been busted in the very immediate area, man a trophy buck or 2 would really change the landscape, not that that's happening but neighbors report getting their land shined quite often, etc. I did bust 1 guy shining, I didn't notice a gun or anything but he wasn't very forthcoming with why he was doing what he was doing and all alone and not a local dude, maybe adding some to the nocturnalism, told him I got your plate # and never saw him again.

You know what Bear, dad gave me a there's been a few deer out before dark, went there Sunday night and had a snowmobile gang come flying by on posted land about in that deer time, rodding around the alfalfa field racing each other jumping the ditch into it etc., 40 acres only, walked home, finally leave them alone for about a month trying to let them gain confidence in coming out b4 darkness, they want to as it's been cold but then another voodoo happens, don't think they care for snowmobiles much adding the final pin in my voodoo doll, 0-6 well 0-12 on muzzy hunts for deer sightings, got this Saturday and Sunday, the geese finally left, so 26 sits and deer seen on 3 of them thus far, pretty icky year.

We had the same bad luck last weekend.

Get set up for the evening hunt over my beans. A chainsaw fires up. The guy next to us was cutting wood till dark and right in line with where we set up to ambush where the deer "should" have come from.

I still cant believe it.

Not your year Musky. Any decent public land near you worth looking at? Late season once things cool down the public can get good again. I got a pic of a really nice buck at high noon about a week ago. This obviously depends on the area you hunt but I've noticed sometimes the private land gets far less but steady pressure all season, while some public land is kind of like a roller coaster and the deer have the woods to themselves late season and can often get pushed into these areas by late season private land hunters. Might give you a few options.

hockeybc69

I used to hunt some private land and the owner would regularly chain saw and I would often see deer within 100 to 200 yards of him. Now maybe these deer were use to him sawing but I don't think it's as threatening as a snowmobile on the move. I would guess any chance at a mature buck would be blown by just about any noise.

I do not know if noise like that effects deer all that much, especially in farm country. They hear noises constantly and if they waited to not hear noise they would all starve to death. I don't know if any of you have ever done any field work, but it is not rare to see deer and nice ones at that while doing farm work. Also, many times while doing soil sampling on a four wheeler I have seen deer in the fields and I don't think I could chase them out of the field if I tried. The deer get used to the noise of tractors, four wheelers, chainsaws, etc. I don't think all that noise helps but I do not think it is a reason to end your hunt early.

Well I did abandon the areas that were yielding no daytime activity and moved on to other lands. I have noticed that this week the deer have been making the winter time shift and are grouping up and moving early. I think it is a safety in numbers thing because when an area gets really loaded up it seems that they move any time of the day. I have been getting close to deer but it just seems that they have been able to keep just enough cover between us and no shots offered. Still the hunt is so much funner when you are at least seeing deer. Might be a tough winter if it keeps up at this rate. Good luck guys

I'll take a snowmobile, ATV, car or whatever that goes by any day of the week, over a guy standing there chainsawing in the same spot for the evening. I havent heard a chainsaw anywhere all fall, so this was a nice new surprise.

And just to make this note. Yes, I could have moved, but I held out hope he was gonna finish up and move on..... Bad decision on my part.

I do not know if noise like that effects deer all that much, especially in farm country. They hear noises constantly and if they waited to not hear noise they would all starve to death. I don't know if any of you have ever done any field work, but it is not rare to see deer and nice ones at that while doing farm work. Also, many times while doing soil sampling on a four wheeler I have seen deer in the fields and I don't think I could chase them out of the field if I tried. The deer get used to the noise of tractors, four wheelers, chainsaws, etc. I don't think all that noise helps but I do not think it is a reason to end your hunt early.

I agree, deer do get used to regular noises and regular farm activity, I've always thought that I should carry binoculars in my tractor cab. But when you're on stand the noise tends to ruin the 'ambiance', the peace and quiet. My neighbor to the west must have a new dog, all the bastard does is sit and bark and bark, hate it when I'm on stand. I have a spot where its good ice fishing but I won't go there anymore because of the highway noise and trucks roaring by, not for me.

I'll take a snowmobile, ATV, car or whatever that goes by any day of the week, over a guy standing there chainsawing in the same spot for the evening. I havent heard a chainsaw anywhere all fall, so this was a nice new surprise.

And just to make this note. Yes, I could have moved, but I held out hope he was gonna finish up and move on..... Bad decision on my part.

No doubt any noise sucks but think of it this way, deer are very good at determining how far away a sound is. A stationary chainsaw may be considered less of a threat then a moving sound like a wheeler or snowmobile. It also depends on the area, if there is a snowmobile trail near by or a guy who rides his wheeler on a trail consistently then they are probably not much of a threat to a deer but someone randomly traveling around could be considered more of a threat.

The snowmobiles just didn't drive off they spent about 20 minutes at prime time rodding around, some areas are touchier then others, these were the first sled tracks of the year and it's just 1 thing after another this season, don't doubt the deer came out but likely after 6 so it does a guy no good.