• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheres the blackpowder pics

I have been waiting for your storys and pics but nothing yet.

I got to the stand a few minutes late tonight fresh track threw the snow only a few minutes old. My dad took a doe tonight made a 90 yard shot and dropped her in her tracks only to find out the neighbors friend had allready stuck a arrow threw her his shot was only a inch to low from being a heart shot just caught the nuckel of the leg and went through the brisket and grazed the leg going out great guy and very helpfull with gutting draging and help load her into the back of the tahoe> he was happy my dad had shot her because he had allready tracked her for 300 yrds before she crossed the road into the property we hunt.

Wanted to say thank you to Nick for the help and we would have given you the deer if you had not insisted we take you did get first blood.

Here is a pic of my little one helping drag grandpas deer into the shed you can see his arrows entry hole a inch higher and she wouldn't have made it across the road.

full-28877-3847-muzzleloader.jpg

I wasn't going to muzzleloader hunt, but decided to because my step sons could use a deer.

I went out today around noon on some private property I've never hunted before. I just got permission late this fall.

Anyways, I park the truck and get about 60 yds from the truck and see a deer in front of me at 100 yds. on the edge of a small field. I sneak up to about 60-70 yds and it disappears into the woods to my left. I look to where the deer had been and there's a fawn trying to kick a hole in the ice to get a drink out of the ditch. I got down on one knee and cocked my gun. Here comes the doe out of the brush, near the fawn. The gun misfired 2x. I took the primer cap off and put it back on. I got a good rest and settled the sights on the doe and KABOOM!

I saw them run off to the left, looking no worse for the wear. I went up to the where they had been standing and didn't see any signs of a hit. I followed their tracks another 50 yds just to make sure and then continued on with my hunt. I saw alot of deer tracks on this property so there is definitely potential.

Maybe tomorrow...

Brian

OK since you asked:

Here's my first muzzy deer, taken Sunday morning, Stearns county, with a Remington Genesis(240 gr w/ 90 grains Triple 7 loose). I had been looking north at a sunny hillside, looked east and this guy was walking right at me. He was walking across a snow covered, plowed field right straight at me, just like in the TV deer hunting shows, it even turned slightly to give a better shot. 40 yd shot, saw him "scrunch", he ran 75 yds like nothing was wrong and leaped a wire fence into the woods. Found him where the photo was taken. While I reloaded I thought I may have missed him. Evidence on the snow proved I did not miss. No bullet exit hole. 26 years of hunting I don't recall having a shot right out in the open like that.

full-8834-3891-muzzybuck1.jpg

No pics, but I hung a decent 2 1/2 yr. old 6-pt. two nights ago. Passed up opportunities on several deer every night I've hunted. Lots of deer movement in our area.

Interesting story, and something to keep in mind. Every deer I've shot with muzzy to date has dropped in it's tracks. The buck I took two nights ago presented a 25 yd. broadside shot. When I squeezed off the shot this buck scampered off like it was only frightened. I scratched my head, reloaded, and waited till shooting hours were done, got down out of stand and walked to where I'd shot the deer. No blood. None. Followed his tracks in the snow for 20-30 yards. No blood. None. Kept following his tracks for about 60 yds and found him piled up in a heap. Absolutely no blood what-so-ever, even where he lay. He was hit right in the vitals with no exit wound.

If I'd given up on his trail he'd still be laying there.

Now to fill a bonus tag with a nice fat doe and I'll hang up the muzzy for another season. I absolutely love hunting with a muzzy at this time of year! I've been surrounded by deer every night. The challenge has not been to find, or get into range of deer, it's been not to get busted by all the animals around while waiting for the one I want! smile

Still looking for a nicer sized deer. I have passed on 4 does and 1 buck that was approx 150 yards away and a nicer one at that.

Hopefully this afternoon they will go out feeding a bit earlier as the snow is coming. If I do not see a good buck, a doe may drop given the opportunity.

Interesting story, and something to keep in mind. Every deer I've shot with muzzy to date has dropped in it's tracks. The buck I took two nights ago presented a 25 yd. broadside shot. When I squeezed off the shot this buck scampered off like it was only frightened. I scratched my head, reloaded, and waited till shooting hours were done, got down out of stand and walked to where I'd shot the deer. No blood. None. Followed his tracks in the snow for 20-30 yards. No blood. None. Kept following his tracks for about 60 yds and found him piled up in a heap. Absolutely no blood what-so-ever, even where he lay. He was hit right in the vitals with no exit wound.

Sounds like you hit the heart. I think if you hit the heart, there's no muscle to pump the blood out anymore. wink

That's the interesting part. I just missed the heart, took out some vital arterial connections, and both lungs, but no passthru. I've hit others in the heart that left blood everywhere from the point of impact, and throughout a very short trail.

This deer left not one drop of blood. In the fresh snow it would've been easy to see. I had three pyrex pellets and a 245 gr. powerbelt loaded. Should've easily gone straight thru at 20-25 yds. Just glad I followed those footprints for a ways.

No blood. None. Followed his tracks in the snow for 20-30 yards. No blood. None. Kept following his tracks for about 60 yds and found him piled up in a heap. Absolutely no blood what-so-ever, even where he lay. He was hit right in the vitals with no exit wound.

smile

Our theory with Muzzy hunting is: 1) Slower bullets holes plug easier. 2) Latter in season thicker hair to absorb blood. 3) Colder temps blood freezes on animal quickly.

If you've got tracks you should always follow.

Haven't made it out with my muzzy yet. I have a license & she's charged & ready to go. Buddy shot a nice buck fawn Saturday night. Cousin shot a small 6 pointer Monday night. I agree if you can find a place they are, they've been moving. I probably won't get out until Sunday night. Probably shouldn't have bought a tag, no time after putting off fall projects to bow hunt & gun hunt...

I have shot several deer that were lung shots without a drop of external blood. All were with rifle not a muzzleloader but I would think same principal. All had massive internal bleeding and none ran more than 100 yards. I think that adrenaline and muscle contraction keeps them from bleeding externally.

No pics, but I hung a decent 2 1/2 yr. old 6-pt. two nights ago. Passed up opportunities on several deer every night I've hunted. Lots of deer movement in our area.

Now to fill a bonus tag with a nice fat doe and I'll hang up the muzzy for another season. I absolutely love hunting with a muzzy at this time of year! I've been surrounded by deer every night. The challenge has not been to find, or get into range of deer, it's been not to get busted by all the animals around while waiting for the one I want! smile

I have heard alot of the same problems with the powerbelts not penatrating

I cannot photograph my deer as it is still walking somewhere in the woods. I have not hunted Mn for approx 23 years and now I remember why I stopped. I have seen next to no deer in the spots I hunted years ago.

I guess the deer population is down so bad in my area that they did not even have a doe lottery this season.

Maybe the DNR needs to close the season for a years or two.

If anyone has too many deer on thier property, I have a gun and will travel.

Went out tonight and hunted a standing corn field loaded with deer tracks the first one came out at 3:30 and five more came out at 4:00 all does watched them waiting for a buck to come out till 4:40 when I decided too take the biggest one took her at about 140 yards and dropped her in her tracks.

I shot at a buck I have trail cameras of. 5x2 his beam is broken just outside his ears on one side. Thought it was a sure shot. Steady rest on a tree branch. Pulled the trigger CLICK. Load never went off! Sank down into where I was sitting pulled out a second primer put it back in look up still standing there. I got re positioned pulled up and got ready pulled trigger this time it went off. He spun around and its tail down and the three does he came out with ran back into the woods with their tails up. Checked for blood nothing...don't know what happened only can think I shot over his back. Sad day but then why didn't he run off with his tail up?

Well Four years ago I gave up deer hunting for I can duck hunt. Well on the day before Thanksgivin I was duck hunting and I said to myself I sure do miss deer hunting, so I said I will try muzzleloader hunting. Never shot a muzzleloader or did not know anything about them. Went to gander on Thanksgivin day and the guy set me up the the CVA Wolf. Took the gun home and shot it 5 times and felt comfortable with it. Shot my first deer with a muzzleloader on Saturday November 28. Man I am Hooked now!full-20552-3992-001.jpg

I was doing a little still hunting yesterday afternoon when I spot a nice deer feeding along a field edge about 300 yards away. I crept through the woods and got to about 120 yards before she heard me and looked my direction. I had a good broadside shot so I took it. The deer ran off like nothing was wrong. I followed her tracks about 80 yards before the first spot of blood. 30 yards later the nice doe is pile up. Complete pass through/double lungs. Probably one of the best shots I have ever made with open sights!

Code-Man-I have heard several stories of deer not bleeding at all for over 100 yards when hit with ML bullets this year-That tail down part of the story would have me searching for him... Congrats to those who have been successful-Love the pics- Stratosman-Where are the pics of the buck you shot earlier this year?