• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MarCum lx5 owners

skillet

Vex has that low power setting as a fix for there units lacking the ability to do what they should be able to do. When you turn the gain all the way down on a marcum the output is 0. When you turn the gain all the way down on a vex the output is not 0. Thus the LP mode to cut more power down because the unit cant do it with out it.

That noise is normal and every ducer will do it when out of water. have fun with the lx-5. It will help you catch more fish.

Actually gain has nothing to do with output. Output with either unit is constant. Rather, gain adjusts the sensitivity of the receiver part of the transducer. Turning the gain up increases sensitivity, or causes the unit to "hear" more, and turning it down does exactly the opposite.

-Munchy

<edit> Sorry....looks like several others beat me to the punch.

Chris, from what I gather, adjusting the "Gain" knob has nothing to do with power output. It's all about receiving the return signal. You still put out the same power no matter the setting.

However I would like to see some data showing that fish are affected negatively by any amount of "power" transmitted from a transducer.

Yes you are right. What i am saying is that with a marcum you can filter out enough of the weeds to still see your jig using the gain. On a vex you still need to cut the power to filter out enough of the weeds because you cant get the same result with just using the gain.