• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How was your season???

Musky Buck I agree with you 100%. We talk about this every year. Times have changed, habitat is almost gone. Your exactly right it is what it is, Im sure some people across the state did great for a change. All I know is that in the area I hunt things continue to be below average, and I hunt in an area with very popular duck hunting lakes. The Minnesota Waterfowlers Associtation was formed here in my county. Many of the lakes here would hold lots of mallards, and the refuge here was always good for 7,000-10,000 mallards. Now like I have said in my other report Im not being negative or being argumentive, Im just giving an honest report of how it is down here. The lakes here that were notorious for holding large numbers of waterfowl just dont see those numbers anymore. I will say that this year was better than last year atleast.

I had a good season. Only went out 3 times when I dident shoot a bird, and 2 of those times I was in the city. I shot more mallards this year then all other duck species combined...the first time thats ever happened. I dident shoot a single mallard field hunting either. Only shot 5 geese this year compared to 24 last year. Thats only because i found the mallards and there werent any geese that were flying in that area. I would rather shoot mallards anyday over geese. I finally saw the massive push this year. First time in 5-6 years. Found a 5 square mile area that was holding 5-10 thousand geese and 5-10 thousand mallards. Couldent get on a field though, guys had gotten permission before me earlier in the day. Oh well, it was still fun to watch clouds of birds like that. You could look in any direstion and see thousands of birds. I thought I was in North Dakota for 2 days. laugh

I had a great season in SW Minnesota. The only regret I have is not being able to hunt more. Time is hard to balance when you enjoy bow hunting, rifle hunting, duck hunting,goose hunting, and pheasant hunting. I wish the season was 5 months instead but I digress.

Got out a lot for ducks from opener until Halloween and on two occassions by myself, I was fortunate enough to pick out 4 drake mallards each time along with a hen pintail, woody, and teal making up the other 4 of the ducks on those two hunts getting a limit both times. Another hunt with friends provided less ducks but an absolutely beautiful drake pintail that shouldve been mounted. On the final water hunt of the year Halloween morning, my dad and I saw very few ducks but the one we got was a full colored bull canvasback that made my dads day. I even let him have the first shot and that was all it took. In 35 years of duck hunting, he had never taken a can and I could tell he was like a little kid after our dog Jazzy brought it back to the boat. Opener with 8 total people produced a limit Saturday and 43 Sunday with teal making up the majority but quite a few mallards that early in the year.

From the first of November until the 23rd, didnt get to hunt much waterfowl, but over Thanksgiving break at my college, I got to goose hunt. 3 days in a row I picked up a goose. Then just this last Friday, I got a limit of three honkers. One weighed 4 lbs 2 oz(richardsons i believe), second weighed 7 lbs 14 oz, and the last weighed 12lbs 4 oz, the biggest I had ever shot.

Probably the most memorable event of the season happened Saturday night(12/4). The geese werent flying in my direction so I decided to try and get underneath them. While moving, I saw a bald eagle. I watched where it was going(I don't know why) and saw it land out in a field. Some other hunters had crippled a goose and hadn't come to get it. Three eagles were on the ground with it. While deciding what to do, I saw an eagle approach it. The goose bowed its neck and charged the eagle scaring it away. I thought it was remarkable to witness this, however, it gets better. I decided to retrieve the goose and brought my gun because it was apparent the goose had a lot of life. After getting within 50 yds, the goose had not budged and just watched me coming. When I got within 20yds, the goose got up, honked at me, and started to flap towards me getting slightly airborne. It was going to try and hit ME! I used the butt of the gun to hit the goose's neck just as it was within a foot of me! I then grabbed the honker and rung its neck. I guess it had decided this was his last stand and if he had run off the eagles, he could run me off too! When I got to my lake lot I weighed the goose and he was only 6lbs 9oz, talk about a pint sized fire-cracker!

Finally, the goose season is about over in my part of the state with the temps getting to low to keep a spot open on the lake. I'm hoping over x-mas break I can spend a lot of time at Lac Qui Parle which is about a hour and a half away. I'm interested in the first come first serve blinds there and hope it isn't too crazy. My dad and his old buddy spent November 28th in blind 47, but the geese flew way too high to even crack at. I just hope the geese can keep it open until then.

Until Christmas break, I look forward to getting some time in the deer stand to fill my tag with my bow, as well as some time in the pheasant field with my yellow lab of 8yrs.

I hope this post isn't too long for anyone and wish good luck to all you other hunters so long as you aren't in my spot haha.

Stay safe everybody!

Finally, the goose season is about over in my part of the state with the temps getting to low to keep a spot open on the lake. I'm hoping over x-mas break I can spend a lot of time at Lac Qui Parle which is about a hour and a half away. I'm interested in the first come first serve blinds there and hope it isn't too crazy. My dad and his old buddy spent November 28th in blind 47, but the geese flew way too high to even crack at. I just hope the geese can keep it open until then.

Unless you time your arrival at the refuge with some good nasty weather, you better be loading up with hevishot. The birds are coming off high all around the refuge. Lots of shooting from the blinds, not much killing. The birds that will stick it out through the winter are getting smarter and smarter. Late season hunting will be very interesting.

Thanks for the the update even though it doesn't exactly sound encouraging. Are you pretty familiar with Lac Qui Parle? I was wondering how the state blinds work with muzzleloader season. I know that certain blinds like 41, 42, and like all the 50's get pulled during regular season but because it is first come first serve now, can we sit there again even though it is still muzzleloader season?

Thanks for the the update even though it doesn't exactly sound encouraging. Are you pretty familiar with Lac Qui Parle? I was wondering how the state blinds work with muzzleloader season. I know that certain blinds like 41, 42, and like all the 50's get pulled during regular season but because it is first come first serve now, can we sit there again even though it is still muzzleloader season?

I grew up 20 miles from the refuge. spent a lot of time hunting around there. No clue how the state blinds work, I would give the Refuge manager Dave Trauba a call and ask. Phone (320) 734-4451