• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pulling shack with ATV

MN Angler

I recently purchased an ATV and am planning on using it ice fishing this winter. I'm planning on pulling my Clam Youkon behind it and was wondering the regulations that need to be followed when doing this? I have seen guys with tow bars and have also seen guys just using rope to tow their shacks. I was unable to locate anything in the 2010 fishing regulations or the OHV regulations. I'm sure it's in there somewhere however, I know someone on this site has the answer. Thanks

MN Angler

As far as I know there is no regulation on how you can pull a fish house but don't give em any ideas.

You will find that a tow bar is a very very good idea. I have done both and the rope will allow the sled to run into you when slowing down. Then the rope gets caught in the tire and it's a pain in the neck. With the bar it is like pulling a trailer. It slows with you but if your not careful it can come around on you. It's worth the 50 bucks or if you have a welder weld one up in few minutes like I did.

You can pull it however you want, I use a tow bar that way when you stop it wont keep going or swing when you turn. As far as the ATV it needs to be licensed, the big thing is if you are born after 1987 (not forsure on that date) you need to take a ATV test. Look on the DNR web site and they will have all the info.

i took some ideas form other guys on the site and came up with one that i made myself. only cost about 15 bucks. i don't know how to make a link to it, i can't figure it out, but search for homemade tow bar done and you can see what i did. it may give you some ideas.

Mn Angler, you are correct, there is a law somewhere that you need a tow bar. I think pertains more to pulling people in sleds, cutters, etc.

But at any rate it's a good idea keeps your equipment from tangling with your sled or ATV.

Just think when we were kids a tow bar would saved Jay a few stitches from his braces through his lip and bumps + bruises on the rest of us, but what fun would have that been, No stories to tell now that were grown up and smarter. laugh

Damaged shelters/gear is one thing.Using a rope to tow gear is very dangerous to the operator as well.Gear (auger blades)can kick up and get u from sudden stops, snow banks, ice heaves.If using a rope make sure u take it easy.Good luck be safe!c63