• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Chuck-B

Does bore butter on your bullet ruin your powder?

I am new to the black powder game. I have been shooting 300 gr. Hornady sabots with 2 white hot pellets. My question is if I lube up the bottom of the wad with bore butter and ram it down to the powder does the moisture of the bore butter ruin you powder load? Also I snapped my ram rod at the range, looking for a stronger rod than what came with my traditions pursuit, any help would be appreciated

If your bullets are loading that hard then you may want to try a thinner sabot cup. You wanty a good seal but if you are needing bore butter to load the round and are still breaking rods then you're probably a bit tight.

Does the powder you use leave alot of residual powder in the barrel? That could cause the sabot in not going down the barrel very easy.

How often do you clean your barrel as this also could be an issue. I know I clean mine about every 3-5 shots and have no problems at all.

Just a thought.

Many use different combinations for powder and sabot's. I use the Hodgdon Triple 7 preformed pellets with Thompson Center SHOCKWAVE sabots and they slide down the barrel with ease. No need for even pressing hard except for the first few inches.

Is your muzzy a TC model? They have slightly more narrow bores. I had a bugger of a time with my Omega until I found some sabots that were just a hair smaller, and went down much easier.

Yes it's a TC. If I have shot a couple times, yes, it gets harder but it is not that hard. I can push the rod down the barrel with the palm of my hand.

I have a traditions prusuit .50 cal. The white hots clean out nice but its still tough to push in. At the range I clean it every 2 shots. I will have to try some new sabots maybe. The hornady got me a doe on sunday night but after the first shot goes through and i reload it tough getting it all the way down. Thanks for all the comments

Are you useing the red hornady sabots the older black hornadays used to be a real pain to load my wallet still has the round circle inprint when I shot a buck a few years ago and the doe just stood there had to use the wallet to push the rod it was too hard and hurt my hand.