• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hub-Style Mods?

hoggs222

I was thinking about making a plywood floor for my Summit but thought the disadvantages outweighed the advantages. Ice would have to be almost perfectly flat to avoid spilling of beverages or tipping of heaters every time you moved. Then as many have already stated, the problem of water soaking in. I entertained the idea of rubber garage mats, which seem to be the most logical answer. I found an old moving blanket that I fold in half and it seems to hold the heat well. Roll it up and stick it in a 5 gal bucket then in the dryer in the garage.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about making a plywood floor for my Summit but thought the disadvantages outweighed the advantages. Ice would have to be almost perfectly flat to avoid spilling of beverages or tipping of heaters every time you moved. Then as many have already stated, the problem of water soaking in. I entertained the idea of rubber garage mats, which seem to be the most logical answer. I found an old moving blanket that I fold in half and it seems to hold the heat well. Roll it up and stick it in a 5 gal bucket then in the dryer in the garage.

Menards sells "boot-like" rubber rectangular thingies that I picked up for this year.

Think it would be feasible using plastic hooks that you could securely hang the reflectix and collapse with just the hooks? I'm thinking to install mine this way with an LED fan at each peak hub to force all that captured warm air back down.

1 tip to share is if you are not using a floor do not shovel the snow out, as a matter of fact, dont even press it down on purpose. leave the snow as is to prevent pooling water inside the shack. This limits evaporation and promotes insulation with all the trapped air. Cant wait to get my rollable rubber floor.

I think those figure 9s look cool too, and not just for ice fishing! i could use those camping, and when i tie things to my trailer, car, etc...

the small ones seem to be big enough for most jobs I would think, wouldn't you guys?

Also like these Ice Angel ice anchors i saw on a HSOforum. A little spendy, but would be nice to have.

Time today between dr a ppt and PT, so I tucked into REI and bought 4small figure nine and two big figure nine rope tie thingys. 4 bucks a piece for the small ones the big ones were 5.50 ea. The small ones will stay attached to my summit. The big ones will stay in my truck...

One thing I did is tie a 5 or 6 ft piece of rope to each loop on the sides and then tied a carabiner to the end of each rope. That way when its windy I can put a couple of ice screws in first just snap the caribiners on with the corner facing the wind. I just leave all of the ropes (and carabiners) attached all the time.

3 pages talking about floor material...BOOTS are the best invenstment any icefisherman can buy! Good pair of boots, and you won't think about the ice floor in a hub house ever again!

I thought about adding reflectix to my QF3, but i just turn up the heater instead.

Rope lights might be a possibility to add in the future, but right now i'm getting by with the led battery pack sold here on HSO. Looks like a string of christmas lights. When i'm set up in my hub i just string the lights around a pole or two and am done.

I like to keep my portable house portable!