• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hub-Style Mods?

hoggs222

Serpa, looking forward to your future posts on the Clam shelf and reflectix mod. I'll have to look at the QF4 to see how the adapted the thermal insert - I like the idea of it being removable.

I'm looking to add adapt this to my Quickfish6.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it worth spending the extra money on the thermal hub-style house?

My vote would be a yes.

As in the end you save weight and gain more comfort with smaller heaters needed and less fuel required to tote along to heat it.

Other than thermal, the higher the denier count of the canvas.the better. Along with good ventilation options, and reinforced corners, these all factor in to a good quality hub unit.

We will see more new "High Tec Hubs" in the near future. wink

If you want a fishhouse with a floor why not get a suitcase style house?

I have both a hub and a suitcase style. I have never understood why anyone would

want to take a nice light weight highly portable house and try and make it as unportable

as possible?

Ed,

Not to get off topic, but I had to laugh. Your avatar, from the corner of my eye looked like a Jeep pulling a huge walleye across the ice (a guy can dream, right)

Chad Austin

lol. It really does look like that. Better up the resolution of that avy Ed. ;-)

My motivation for building a decent floor system is because I have a 6x12 calm hub (thinking of getting the new 7x14)and I want to use it to do weekends on the ice. With the big hub houses you have enough room for a couple of cots to spend the night but I'd like to have a dry floor to make it a little more comfortable to stay on the ice in a big hub house. I'm thinking of making a floor that I can lay out in sections....like maybe 3 - 6'x4' sections for my 6'x12' hub house. I'm thinking I would basically use maybe 1/4 or 3/8 ply and then glue 1/2 or 1" pink sheet insulation - which will not adsorb water I believe - to the bottom of the ply - maybe even use ply on bottom and make a sandwich kind of panel - then cut some holes in the panels so we can drill holes in ice and call it good. In this scenario I would always be driving onto the ice with my truck so having to haul the panels is no big deal. Anyone done anything like this?

If you want a fishhouse with a floor why not get a suitcase style house?

I have both a hub and a suitcase style. I have never understood why anyone would

want to take a nice light weight highly portable house and try and make it as unportable

as possible?

I have looked into the suitcase style house but most I have seen have plastic floors which I don't think i want, they also are more expensive then the hub style shelters.

When I go out fishing I usually put my house down in one spot, crack a beer and relax. I would like some type of floor just to keep things off the ice and to keep my feet warm when I am wearing regular boots. I would only use the floor later in the season when i can drive my truck right up next to where i plan on fishing that day.

I have looked into the suitcase style house but most I have seen have plastic floors which I don't think i want, they also are more expensive then the hub style shelters.

You couldn't pay me to use one with a plastic floor. There's a place in Rogers that makes a really nice suitcase style house. Once you spend all the time and money into a "floor system" for a hub style it will cost you more. Plus they fold down nicely.

I love my hub style house I just can't figure out why I'd try to turn it into something it's not.

I have used chunks of rubber that I found that are about 2'x4', they help insulate your feet and keep it a little warmer. I have tried to come up with some kind of floor for my shack but have not decided on anything yet so I'm interested in this thread. Someone was talking about a floor reducing the condensation in a shack, I know this is important to keep your zipper from freezing up. Once your zipper freezes up on a really cold night you can end up ripping it or busting out teeth, I know first hand from a friends shack. So what is the best way to keep the condensation from building up in your shack. I have lots of 1/16" plywood at work that's scrap and I have some tough plastic sheets that have a side that is not as smooth as the other. Do you think it would work if I put the plastic on the bottom of the plywood and cut it into smaller chunks for transport? Would this help eliminate the condensation that forms in the shack and help insulate the floor some? Would hooking up a 12v fan help eliminate the condensation?

What works pretty well for me, as long as there is no water coming up the holes, is a piece of cheap indoor/outdoor carpet. The kind they use to use in boats. It is all rubber on the bottom and black/red plastic on top. I have a piece that is about 30 years old and I think you can get the same thing at Maynards or other lumber stores. It needs to be rubber to be flexable. A 6x6 piece is not that heavy either and fits in the bottom of my otter sled very nicely. The only downside is if there is a lot of snow and the water covers the ice in the house. Oh, yeah, you can cut it easily to accomodate your typical hole placement.

Here is a pic of those 2x2 Subfloor panels I was talking about. Wood top, rubber bottom...made for concrete basement floors. Stack a few down, lay my rugs on top...mabye more of a pain than what it is worth, but think I may try. to make a 6x6 w/ them for half of my Clam 6x12 Command Post.

IMG01032.jpg

This year i'm going to try 3/4" rubber sized a foot short of my 6 lengthwise holes in the quickfish 6. I cant mention yet where i'll be picking this up as I still want it to be there when I get it. Being waterproof, low-temp transfer, and moisture reducing, and capible of being rolled and bunji-tied it for me is a no brainer for a floor. I'll take pictures of it's first use.

As for other mods. You just cant go wrong with the flexi-strip 12v LED's. Mounted correctly; they can be folded up in the shack wires and all. Just make sure your connection point is indicated to eliminate guess work when trying to energize. I'd like to drill and fish the wires through the poles however this may come later. As for insulation - I dont think it will be necessary with a floor however adding a couple coats of campdry to the exterior of the QF6 is a must to keep it from absorbing water on the exterior. Using bar soap on the zippers is a great way to prevent freezing. I may try a couple new-age techniques this year to see if they work better.

As for new this year besides the floor, I've got some 1/4" lexan material and am thinking of cutting new anti-fog windows which could stow along with the stakes,

I've tinkered with these hub models for 3 years now and look forward to getting new ideas from everyone else.

After getting a really good deal on a 6X12 at the Big C, I stopped at Maynards and bought 3 3x4 entry mats. Rubber on the bottom fabric on the top. The fabric is pretty thin as are the mats overall. They will fit nicely in the bottom of my sled and should provide a slip proof surface the full length of the hub with plenty of room around the sides of the house for multiple holes. Hoping for the maiden voyage next week.

After the rebate the mats were only $3 a piece.

Well I finally got a chance to put in some Reflectix in my Clam Expedition. I went with an easily removable setup. It took two pieces cut to the length of the roof (the long way) to cover the whole roof.

I cut two slits next to eachother in three different spots on each piece of Reflectix to be able to run a strip of Velcro up and over the bars. I used duct tape on both sides to strengthen the mounting locations. Here is a pic of one of the Velcro mounts.

eb07cd06.jpg

Here is the roof with both pieces mounted.

fad57a2e.jpg

It droops a little on the ends but I'm sure I can find a solution for that.

5f46cc64.jpg

Here is the Clam shelf hanging in the corner.

6463dc5c.jpg

I like the shelf but you do have to choose between it taking up shoulder room or hanging it over one of the holes. I would worry about things falling down the hole. If you are alone shoulder room is definitely not an issue. With 2 or 3 I can see it being in the way if it's not over your hole.

I have not decided what to do for a floor yet but I saw a rubber bottomed mat at the big hardware store today that might be the ticket.

Well that's what I have so far. I'm curious to see what others come up with. I'm also open to ideas on how to improve my mods as they are. Good luck to those trying get theirs set up. I think I'm going to try it all out tomorrow. I'll report back with any issues/improvements that come up.

Here is a pic of those 2x2 Subfloor panels I was talking about. Wood top, rubber bottom...made for concrete basement floors. Stack a few down, lay my rugs on top...mabye more of a pain than what it is worth, but think I may try. to make a 6x6 w/ them for half of my Clam 6x12 Command Post.

IMG01032.jpg

Where do you find something like this?

Maverick, which did you end up getting?

I ended up with the Big C brand which is made by Clam, just a different color. I also own an Ice Cube brand 6x6 and the material on the new one seems alot thicker. I can hardly wait to see if the thicker material translates into holding the heat better especially in the wind. The shelter was on sale, I had a ton of points and a $70 certificate if I spent $300. Told the wife that I got it for free. She thought free was pretty good.

I made and installed my own LED light bars for my Quickfish3. I hooked them up to a post style 12v lantern battery. I will be setting it up for the first time this year tomorrow so I will take some pics and post them.

I am planning on getting some sort of rubber that I can roll out/up that would be about 3' wide. Just enough to put our chairs on then cut another hunk off for the heater between the holes.

I'm thinking of going with clam new thermal command 6x12 shelter. The reflex looks like it would also work on these to hold in even more heat.

I was thinking of using 1/4 or 3/8 plywood, with 2" pink foam on top of that, then carpet over the foam. but the flooring would be places over a set of 2x4" to hold the flooring off the ice. A few sheet rock screws to hold a few this together.

I not thinking so must as portable but as a sleeper. I have a portable if I'm looking to be really mobile. This system may also work for the fall hunting trips. A lot cheaper then a wheel house.

Just picked up a 6X6 hub style house. I am thinking of making a 4X8 sled that would also double as a floor. I am planning on anchoring two sides to the sled instead of the ice to make the house more mobile.

Just a question, to all the guys putting floors in their hubs. What are the advantages of putting in a heavy plywood floor. Don't the guys using flip over style fish houses have an ice floor? I can see a rubber mat or two, just wondering is the advantages out weigh hauling a 4x8 sled around. I am asking because I'm looking at getting a Clam Summit.