• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mr. River Otter

Ken and I hit the road today. Spent all morning in the Sax-Zim Bog and got lots of eagles, a rough-legged hawk and a raven in flight, but otherwise not much going on.

Hit Tomahawk Road for the afternoon and, lo and behold, who should we see at the Island River bridge but Mr. Otter? We spent about 15 minutes of quality time within spitting distance of him as he found and ate about 10 crayfish.

We love these guys!

ice-head.jpg

eye-contact.jpg

back-in.jpg

chawing-down.jpg

look-back.jpg

on-back.jpg

surfacing-ice.jpg

with-crayfish.jpg

water-shake.jpg

Anyone who craves the opportunity to capture river otters with a camera, (myself definitely included), is drooling at this series.

Awesome!

There is an obvious difference in focal lengths being used....300 vs 500 ?

There is an obvious difference in focal lengths being used....300 vs 500 ?

Correct, and Ken was about 10 feet farther from the otter than I was most of the time. I used the 2x TC with the 300 f2.8L IS for all the rest of the photos, but took it off just before we happened upon Mr. Otter because it was overcast and toward the last hour of shooting light.