• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

permament house

Ol' Lund

Hey Guys!

Few quick questions for you guys with wheelhouses, or whoever has some input!

1. Can you keep a lcd tv out in the house, or will the cold weather really screw that up? Can you just let your house warm up before turning it on and it will be fine? Also, can the older TVs that aren’t flat screen be left out without any problems?

2. I have read about putting like 12 volt computer fans in the house to circulate the air. Sounds like a good idea, where would i locate these fans in relationship to the heater or wherever they go?

3. Been reading a lot about rubber roofs, just get a rubber roof kit from menards or such and it doesn’t seem to expensive. When framing the roof, can you make it flat when going to use a rubber roof? Or does it need a pitch, or an angled roof? Then just sheet it with plywood, and put the rubber roof on following directions I’m assuming?

Thanks for the help guys! All the questions I got for now, sure I’ll come up with more!

I have an LCD tv in my house but I never turn it on until is is completly warm and dry - no condensation on it. Have two computer fans use like ceiling fans. A friend of mine told me to put a fan on an end of PVC pipe and use it like foced air to blow warm air all the way to the floor. I haven't tried it yet buy might fabricate something up after muzzleloader season. As far as the roof is concerned you will need it sloped.

2. I have read about putting like 12 volt computer fans in the house to circulate the air. Sounds like a good idea, where would i locate these fans in relationship to the heater or wherever they go?

I put 1 fan in each corner pointing down about 30 degrees and to the Right (so they were all pushing clockwise). Kept everything moving nicely without creating a noticeable breeze.

I've built 3 houses with flat rubber roofs, and never had an issue. The only way you'd get consistent ice build up would be if you didn't have very good insulation in the roof. The majority of the time your roof will be snow and ice free, since it is black and there is nowhere for water to build up.

If you want to do it right put down your osb or plywood then 1/2 inch 4x8 sheets of a product I can't recall the name of right now. It's like Builtrite but it's totaly different made specificaly for glue down rubber roofs. Cost is about $12 a sheet. You will want to use screws with metal caps to fasten it down. 60 mill for a fish house may be overkill but it don't cost much more than 45 mill.

The reason for the 1/2 inch board under the rubber roof is so you can replace the rubber roof.

On my LOW house have a flat roof 11X17 with a 3 ply torch down and it works well. Once we drag it out on the lake we clear snow off it then the wind takes care of it the rest of the Winter.

I just use a cheap house fan from menards I think I spent 40 bucks and it has a light on it. I have a sloped roof with wood shakes for a roof and I have no issues.

And if you value your flat screen I would not leave it in my house. My house was broke into few years back and all they really took was my spude bar and my tip ups left everything else. now if I had left a tv garranty to be gone for sure.

+1 for not leaving anything in the house ever. i was 1/2 mile away at a buddies shack helping him set up for 2 hours and came back to everything gone. followed tracks to where the portable next to me was. expensive lesson learned. pay attention to who is around you. i have 4 computer fans in my 8x18. 1 pointing back and 3 pointing down. circulates pretty good but i kinda like the pvc pipe idea. think im gonna have to try that.

Hey Guys!

Thought of another question! I am looking at heaters, was looking on fish house supply at a few different styles. I noticed the Empire Wall Mount Heaters and the Atwood and Suburban Forced Air Furnaces. How do you guys like the Forced Air Furnaces? They seem very compact, and im liking that! Do they put out a lot of heat? Thinking about mounting it on the front of the house underneath the stove or cabinet drawers

Thanks!

I have a suburban forced air furnace. I left a 8" strip of flooring out of the center of the floor. Then I made a heat duct that basically replaces the missing flooring. Spray foamed the bottom of the house so I wouldn't be heating the ice under the house. I used a plasma torce too put holes along the edge of the heat duct. It basically acts like floor heat. The metal in the duct gets warm and keeps giving off heat after the furnace shuts off. The temp at the floor is as warm or warmer than the upper part of the fish house. Last year I had a guy from a portable next to me come in for a visit next thing I know he's standing in his socks on my heat vent. (He did ask first.)