• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
STORE500

Likes/Dislikes ICE-55 vs. FL-20

I am in the market for a new flasher and have narrowed it down to the Vex FL-20 or the Bird ICE-55. I want the flat screen along with a zoom feature. I am not including Marcum because I had an LX-3tc and had to send it in 3 different times to have the thing fixed, so I sold it. I would like some honest opinions, please no bashing of either unit. Thank you in advance.

I have a FL20 and like it. The flat screen is really nice in the house since you can see at any angle. The only thing I don't like is that there is no 30Ft range. I had a FL8 and used the 30 ft range the most. Using the split zoom makes it basically just as good or better but I like the 30 ft range. I really want the fl22 for this reason and much more.

I can't remark on the bird as I have not used one yet.

You might be missin out by eliminating the LX-5, but I do hear ya I'd be mad too if I had to send a unit in 3 times no matter what brand.

You have to decide which features are best for you and where your gonna be fishing, they will all do the job and catch fish but they all have a little different features.

The thing that sucks (for me) about the Vexilars is they don't have adjustable zoom and the new units only read to 60ft.

I started being really loyal to Vex because they make great products and have good customer service, I still own a FL-18 I've had it for like 6 years without a single issue. I just had to switch because they didn't have the features I was looking for.

I fish with an LX-5, and my main fishing buddies have FL-20's and Ice- 55's, honestly I'd rather fish with the Bird then the Vex's, they are also flat screen and you can easily see whats going on, and they have adjustable zoom. LX-5 for the win though.

If i had the money to spend on a fl-20 i would spend the extra $$ and get the new fl-22. I don't think ive ever fished water more then 40' and mainly fish in 20' or under. If you don't fish deep water i would check that unit out. my 2cents

Very happy with my FL-20. I had an ICE-55 for 2 weeks last year and sold it. Had a hard time picking up my small jigs and the screen was sloppy, very little definition.

In the end you will get a different story from everyone as usual. Best thing to do is try the different flashers and stick with the one you are most comfortable with. smile

In the end you will get a different story from everyone as usual. Best thing to do is try the different flashers and stick with the one you are most comfortable with. smile

What are you asking for your fl-20, if you don't mind me asking? I am in the market for one.

You're comparing Humminbirds best with Vexilar's second best. I have used the FL-22 HD for a number of trips this winter and its an amazing unit. The Unit is super sharp, very tight seperation and costs the same as a HB. The display is well thought out with the flat face, and its very easy to dial in. Definetly something to consider. I'll also say Vex customer service is top notch. I had a damaged transducer, not sure where it got damaged along the shipping route but none the less Vex had a new one to me in a week and Im up in Canada.

Cheers!!

Love my Ice 55. Best screen, great zoom feature and easiest to use IMHO. The auto zoom is awesome for hole hopping. Have used mine for two seasons (since they came out) and haven't had a problem yet.

There were a ton of discussions on this last year, do a search and you will find them. Both are good, its more about the features you want.

Good Luck!

asking 485 obo. Dual beam transducer. ext. Warr. Ultra pack. It was only used the one day for about 2hrs and then ice went out. you can email me if you have any questions.

I picked up an ICE 55 this year... I fished with an LX-5 last year, and started out with a FL-8.

I don't have any time on the ice yet with the -55, so it's too early to form any judgement, but I would tell you is that it's going to be hard to get a ton of feedback on Humminbirds because of how new they are to the ice fishing scene. The same thing was the case with Marcum, and look where the feedback is on Marcum's now... plenty of users and plenty of Vexilar vs Marcum discussions.

Humminbird (and the show down for that matter) don't have anywhere near the same numbers of users as Vexilar and Marcum.

I can tell you I'm pretty happy with what I've seen so far on the Humminbird, but you can only evaluate so much on the simulator. One big thing (which is probably a little thing, but one of my pet peeves) is that there's no need to disconnect the battery on the Humminbird when it's off. Since the battery status is built into the head unit (and only functions when on), when the power switch is off, there is no amperage draw from the battery. Not a huge deal, but one less thing to remember when coming off the ice for an extended period.

marine_man

I am in the same situation as marine_man, however I was using an FL-18. I loved the vexilar and never had an issue with it, just wanted a larger screen and try something else. My father and father in-law also just picked up 55s. I do know that I will be buying a vexilar flex-light to throw on the bird, just have to figure out where the best spot to drill a hole. If you don't like what what you end end up with, sell it (not hard) and try a different flavor.

agreed...the bird needs to work out the quirks before I would buy one. They are very flashy?? lots of blinks when moving a jig. However the instant digital read out is nice. Buddy uses one right next to me and my Vex FL-20 and I love how smooth the vex is. Buy a vex, as they are the ones that created the flasher. Everyone else is just hopping on board. The only thing I dont like about the Marcums is the definition in the lines of the jig/fish(dont know how to explain it). Buddy of mine used to rep them and I still didnt want it. What do I know??