• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Replacing Drive Belt on Sportsman

eyehunter

Have any of you ever replaced the drive belt on a polaris sportsman on your own? I am thinking that mine is going to need to be replaced soon and was wondering if this is a job that I could take on myself or if I should just buck up the cash and take it to the dealer. I have heard that they are not the easiest to replace, but would rather do it myself rather than pay the outrageous labor prices at the dealership. Any suggestions from you experts on this?

its really easy, really no different changing the chain on a bicycle.

it will take you longer to remove the cover to the CVT then it will to install the belt. Just put the belt over the primary clutch (the smaller front one), then slide the belt over the top of the secondary clutch (the larger one in the rear) and then spin it by hand after you have it started and it will seat in the the clutch.

while your in there I would blow everything out with a air compressor and check the exaust vents of the housing for any debris etc

Like Rundave said it is a pretty straightforward process to change one. If you want to get a visual idea of how it goes there are some pretty good how-to videos on you tube if you just search polaris drive belt replacement.