• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How Many deer are really registered????

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Past years you look at data and when roadside checks or other actual DNR checks of the deer versus some form of hunter self registration the DNR wildlife checks of the actual kill would have about 5-7 percent higher female fawn registered than what a hunter would say by self registration, hunters are registrating many female fawns as adult does. Doing this on purpose or can't they tell the differance? Now buck fawns would register about 2% higher count if the DNR did the check. With the phone registration it would be interesting what results you would get?

Todd, love the way you throw out some [PoorWordUsage] about the DNR and get people riled up without any evidence to back it up.

If you (or anybody else) know people that aren't registering, call TIP. People that might not be registering deer are doing it because they want to shoot more deer, once word gets out on the penalties for not registering (losing hunting privileges for three years??) they'll think twice about not registering next year.

funny how ppl say poachers will be poachers just let them be nothing you can do right? wrong. that kind of thinking is why they are still poaching.

lets say im a unethical hunter, yea i dont register so what not like it matters i just say im registering online at home plus i can reuse the tag. Not like anybody ever pulls me over and checks to see my deer. who cares, that guy didnt even check my BUCK when i registered it as a DOE they never look! there too LAZY.

I think we've become too lazy, for my group we drive to the nearest archery shop that has registration and register there and we never lie about what we harvested plus the dnr has there check station witch is really kool because you are helping with the research by letting them examine and take body parts for lab analysis.

so when you think ppl will always just not register just let them be nothing we can do about it, that does not help the cause start inforcing registration and making ppl do it at stores and places were they have registration and start making the registering ppl actually look at the deer you have no choice but to register and tell the truth about what you harvest.

like this if one was to get caught not registering and trying to reuse tags and try to lie about harvesting a doe so they can shoot another buck they have no escape boat like saying they are registering thru the internet or they cant lie about it when registering because your deer will actually be looked at.

JUST my oppinion like this we can try to better the future besides letting the poaching repeat itself every year and having ppl think they can get away with their sneaky plans

This year I shot a nice doe Sat. evening in late season zone 3. By the time I got it out and heading to town nothing was open for registration stations within 32 miles. Cant call it in being zone 3. Had to work 12 hour sunday. So I stuck her in the trunk and attemptd to register it after work. Again atfter 6pm Sunday everything is closed for station. Sunday night the season is closed and I have an the deer still in my trunk. Monday told the boss im taking an extended lunch , since I only get a 20 min. lunch in a 12hr day, to register this deer before its too late. Got it done. They should just talk Walmart who stays open 24hrs and have them to register deer in their auto\tire area. Atleast somewhere thats stays open 24hrs. Most people probally would go through all that hassle to register that deer. I thought the dnr HSOforum had a list of the stations, but I didn't see it on there. They made a big step with on line or the call in, but it could be better for the walk in area.

Make people start to register again at a shop or store.

Make the people working come out and apply a metal clip.I know things can get re-used but don't make it so easy for people to get around registering their deer.

I used the call in for two deer I shot with my bow.That was great but I sure would rather have to bring the deer in and make the people who are not honest to have a harder time getting away with poaching.

Make sure to have tip in your cell when you hear these hunters talking all cool and thinking they will get away with poaching.Need more hunters to speak up.

I have no problem bringing in my deer.If the place is closed,there will be another day to get done.This is part of the hunt not the fun part but still part of it.I will never complain about having to bring deer in or turkey's.I enjoy the hunt and this is just a small part of it.

Well I actually think that it is quite common for people not to register their deer. I think that being able to buy over the counter licenses, for multiple seasons makes it much worse. Say someone shoots a small buck with a bow, then say they will wait for a big one for rifle or muzzleloader. I know that happens, most people are honest but there is also alot that aren't.

funny how ppl say poachers will be poachers just let them be nothing you can do right? wrong. that kind of thinking is why they are still poaching.

lets say im a unethical hunter, yea i dont register so what not like it matters i just say im registering online at home plus i can reuse the tag. Not like anybody ever pulls me over and checks to see my deer. who cares, that guy didnt even check my BUCK when i registered it as a DOE they never look! there too LAZY.

I think we've become too lazy, for my group we drive to the nearest archery shop that has registration and register there and we never lie about what we harvested plus the dnr has there check station witch is really kool because you are helping with the research by letting them examine and take body parts for lab analysis.

so when you think ppl will always just not register just let them be nothing we can do about it, that does not help the cause start inforcing registration and making ppl do it at stores and places were they have registration and start making the registering ppl actually look at the deer you have no choice but to register and tell the truth about what you harvest.

like this if one was to get caught not registering and trying to reuse tags and try to lie about harvesting a doe so they can shoot another buck they have no escape boat like saying they are registering thru the internet or they cant lie about it when registering because your deer will actually be looked at.

JUST my oppinion like this we can try to better the future besides letting the poaching repeat itself every year and having ppl think they can get away with their sneaky plans

thats a nice thought but those folks who don't register deer are not going to magically go and register them because the system changes. that's the real issure - all the deer that don't get reported at all - the type of registration system has nothing to do with those folks not registering deer

people who poach deer are lawbreakers, they WILL break the law no matter if it is a phone registration or an in-person registration

We can wish, but I really don't think alot of registration stations would go along with having someone go out and look at a dead deer. Many of them are convience stores. Store clerks are not law-enforcement people. If I ran a store there is no way I would want my employees leaving the store, (particularly female employees)to look at some dead deer. I did not get to use it this year, but I like the new options.

Remember, there is a two step process. First the deer must be tagged. That includes cutting or your tag with date and time (am/pm) of the kill. If you do that, it would be hard to tag another deer. Registration is a second step and how or if you do has not bearing on tagging additonal deer with the same license.

That was my thought. If someone is going to take a deer illegally, why even bother to buy the license in the first place? I suppose with the license he/she can justify being out with the firearm during the season but if you get caught with a deer and haven't validated your tag,....well I guess we have had that happen and only received a warning. In which case, had we got it all the way home we could have still had an unvalidated tag to fill. Just better not get caught with two deer worth of meat. You still must register to have legal possession of the meat in your freezer.

The DNR might as well hire people to go along with every hunter as well, just to babysit and make sure no one is taking a deer illegally.

This whole in person registration talk is non sense. The registration system has no effect on the registration numbers, or perhaps I was the only one that read the thread that Lou Cornicelli (DNR big game manager) posted. Numbers did not change. Also, if someone wants to illegally take a deer they will. With in person registration and checking every deer they will simply not register the deer. Not real hard to figure that out. It is better to know a deer was killed (even if registered incorrectly) than to not register at all.

I agree but with being able to muzzleload, there's a reason now to save your tag and or not register it. There must be like DNR interns, I see them doing aqautic things most summers, but that isn't the cure all either, 1/2 million deer hunters, of course a % of them skirt the laws. Hypothetical, but if I drop a buck lets say, fill out my tag etc., but forgo registering, the DNR has no way of knowing I shot him so I can go buy a muzzy tag if I wish and I'm so to speak legal to take buck # 2 correct ? The biggest issue must be home processors correct ? If you take it to a butcher, they must have the registration info correct ? Why did the CO's report so many deer being dumped in their weekly reports, I thought times were tough. These dumpers know no 1 who would take the deer, cmon clowns please quit hunting if you read this please.

I'm curious about something HandGunner said. How does online registering make it easier to illegally take extra deer vs. registering in person?

i heard some people would tag and not register and go get a duplicat tag from were they got it all they have to say is they lost the previous one.

Musky said,

"Hypothetical, but if I drop a buck lets say, fill out my tag etc., but forgo registering, the DNR has no way of knowing I shot him so I can go buy a muzzy tag if I wish and I'm so to speak legal to take buck # 2 correct ?"

No, it's even close to legal. Remember, you can tag one buck. Ok, I guess if you don't tag them you can shoot as many as you want. Just don't get caught.

He didn't word it quite right maybe, but he's exactly right. He means legally from the stand point no one would know he tagged the first buck if it isn't registered & no one told them. It's not like you have to produce an unused firearm tag when you walk in with a muzzy buck. In theory he could tag the muzzy buck, not register it, & shoot a third with a bow. None of it would be legal, but the DNR wouldn't know he shot the first two, so they wouldn't come looking for him. Clearly it's very illegal & unethical, but what he's saying the guys willing to do it, would have a decent chance of getting away with it.

It's like someone else said the crooks will be crooks...

With Musky's hypothetical situation how does online registration make that any different? You can not register whether you don't do it online or don't do it in person and the result is the same, isn't it?

Back to HandGunner, couldn't the same thing be done if you don't register in person too?

I guess I'm still not quite seeing how the online registering can make what you decribe any different. In both cases we are required to register. In both cases failure to register results in illegally obtained and poessessed venison. I must not be quite understanding where you're coming from. I liked the online registration. Simplified the whole process and saved us some miles on the highway, helped keep our deer meat cleaner, and allowed us to skin it sooner for better quality.

Lot's of hypotheticals in this discussion taking the turn for the worse...I just can't imagine shooting a doe or a buck and not legally registering as such. To me, it would make the whole deer hunting experience feel "dirty"...and that's not the way I want to remember my deer season.

Everyone knows what's right and wrong...and I hope those who choose to take the law in their own hands pay a steep, steep price when caught!

heres what i have heard about ppl who do this stuff. they shoot a deer lets say buck, tags it notches the tag, ranger comes to camp checks deer everything is all going LEGAL, except for the part were he has the escape route of bring the deer home without registering at certified shops because he can "do" online registering. instead he does not register at all, go to gander say he lost his tag and get a duplicat to go shoot another deer, so he can shoot another buck if he wanted.

plus i have heard a grown up would use a youths tag to do the tagging and notching so its more believeable when they say there kid lost there tag

i still don't see how in person registration fixes that scenario, since the guy can just NOT register it anyways

what it comes down to is people will always find a way around the law if they want to, the type of registration isn't going to change that fact

Whether I fail to register in person or online if I can get a duplicate tag just for the asking why bother buying a bonus tag? I didn't know you could get duplicate tags at all much less as easily as asking for it.