• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help! Stuck spider in Polaris P85 clutch.

leech~~

Spent all day at my cousins house trying to get the spider in my P85 Polaris clutch loose so we could put a rebuild kit in it! frown Tried lubes, heat, 2 different impact wrenches, breaker bar, breaker bar with extention. Any other help ideas out there? cry

I think you were on the right track, if that is anything like the Cat's spider that is threaed on, whenever I had to have a kit put in it was always the ' BIG DUDE ' at the shop that got the job to break that spider loose ( with a extra bar on the breaker bar ), if I'm not mistaken I believe they said those buggers are torqued to 3 - 400 ft lbs PLUS Loctite. They would hit it with some heat first, let it set a minute or 2 and put that grunt tool and have have at it.

Gonna have to eat your Wheaties tomorrow laugh

Good luck!

Mike

Thanks Mn Mike, Yep after some Wheaties and Ibuprofen we will be at it again after work tonight! Ice fishing is coming and it has to be ready to roll! One thing we may try is to freeze it then hit the ring with some heat and breaker bar right away! Man it Su%2's when a 1 1/2 hr job take this long! cry

I would bet it's the same deal as the Cat clutch. It is glued on with green Loctite (the "permanent" stuff) then torqued to some big number. The Cat manual says to get it nice and hot to break down the Loctite and then try the breakerbar/extension trick. Good luck!

I would bet it's the same deal as the Cat clutch. It is glued on with green Loctite (the "permanent" stuff) then torqued to some big number. The Cat manual says to get it nice and hot to break down the Loctite and then try the breakerbar/extension trick. Good luck!

Anyone with a Polaris shop manual see anything about Loctite on it? That could be a big deal if so. Thanks hydro.

I have a 97 cat and ran into the same problem last year. I tried all of your listed tricks and none of them worked. I had to take it into a shop. They had to cut it off with a hand grinder.

Oh boy toughguy, thanks for making me feel better! frown I may have to pick up a used one and rebuild it? But what the heck all the ice is melting anyway! Aaaaah! grin

Just to be sure you have the clutch off right?

How are you holding the clutch and are you using a spider socket?

If your impact driver can't deliver 1000 ft.-lbs. of torque your just tickling it.

If the clutch isn't held down tight the full torque of impact is wasted.

They make a mount just for that plus it won't damage the clutch.

With the clutch held down good you can put a lot torque to it with the spider socket, breaker bar and extension. Enough to pull over your work table.

In the end bring it into a Polaris shop and they'll get it apart.

ST, yes it is off the sled and in a vise holding in the grove on the bottom side. We have used a good size breaker bar with an extention along with the torque wrenches. He was going to bring it to his work and see if their large torque wrenches can do it. And we do have the spider socket. He has about 9 Polaris sleds and works on them all the time. It's just kind of stinks when he is trying to help out a Cuz, he runs in to a bad one! frown Thanks for the ideas. smile

Ohh I was confused too. I thought you were having issues getting the clutch off the sled. Lots of heat (glowing red), a spider socket and big bar to extend it if needed should do it.
Kind of hard to get the alm, spider to glow red without melting! smile But if I need to buy a different one I may just do that to it! laugh

Ohh I was confused too. I thought you were having issues getting the clutch off the sled. Lots of heat (glowing red), a spider socket and big bar to extend it if needed should do it.

Yahoo, back on the snow! laugh toughguy you weren't to far off about the heat needed. wink Went into one of the dealers close to home and he actually brought me out in the shop and showed me their clutch rebuilding setup! Heavy metal bench to bolt the clutch down with. 4-5 foot breaker bar! But the real trick was heating up the metal clutch shaft and not on the aluminum spider yoke it's self to melt the lock-tight. So, thanks to all for the ideas or we would still be breaking bars and backs! Now, lets go riding and fishing! grin