• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Coon

JM Meatstick

Are these rod tips sensitive enough for gills and such without a spring bobber?

I purchased my 1st JM meat stick last year and it was a Cadilac compared to what I was using. Like anything, there is a learning curve to the rod I felt. I feel the flimsy tip and strong backbone makes for excellent hookups with panfish. That's my $.02

Its a great panfish rod! Best used in the ice house because of the small guides or outside on warmer days. The new colored tips will make bites even easier to see.

What about for walters and jigging spoons? Is the tip too flimsy for that? I have been thinking about picking one up for a Walter/Crappie/Perch rod.

What about for walters and jigging spoons? Is the tip too flimsy for that? I have been thinking about picking one up for a Walter/Crappie/Perch rod.

They work great for that. When I'm at LOTW I always run a deadstick with a JM meatstick - I use some kind of jigging spoon or gem-n-eye or hawger or something like that - clip a minnow on it, drop down so it's 6-12 inches above the bottom, wait until the tip is bending down, pick up the rod and it's almost always 'Fish On!' Works for perrch too if you fish live minnows for them.

The new colored tips will make bites even easier to see.

When I checked the new tips out I wasnt a fan. It kinds reminded me of the red and wite barber shop twirly thingy. lol grin

2 other options that are a little outside the box but do the job well are , St. Croix's Legend with thier interchangeable spring bobbers, or JR's tackle perch stick. I have 4 of the JR's and i love them for all panfish and eater wallys. They are a bit lacking in blank if you are going to be dealing with large fish. It would definitly make it a sporting contest when you are talking about slot fish or larger.

But the tip is very easy to see Dark Cloud. I had an older JM Meatstick with no color on the tip and I painted it Flou orange and its great.

No biggie Harv, I always prefered the contrast of darker rod tips. Im usually consentraiting on the weight/change in weight of the jig not the colors anyways...

The MS is a nice rod at a nice price. I just never cared for the bend/action personaly.

I used to have to hand sand solid blanks to get what I wanted out of a rod. Now we have a ton of options on the market. Competition is a good thing...

Hey dark cloud I put a post up asking about rods page er 2 back titled 'frabil gussy' check it out and give me a thought idea or clue maybe? !

The new Candy Cain tips are very high contrast. I feel they are more easily seen against snow and ice, against the various colored materials of ice shacks, just plain easier to see day and night.

JM28MS_new2.jpg

I seldom use a float, so this is ideal for my needs in such situations I would otherwise be forced to dig out the float.

The new Long JM 2-piece Meat Stick is Very Sweet. It is a good candidate for a lot of perch and walleye situations and a host of others. The rod is tough, and had a lot of power once under load. The glass is tough so it can take the stress.

I yesterday in dirty water spent a few hours falling in love with the 20" meatstick. I have the 28 and it is so so for what I fish, but the smaller versions with the new colored tip are incredible. I in fact did not need to use a spring in a spring bobber situation, the tip was wonderful and I ran both a spring bobber rod and the small meatstick and had equal success. I landed perch, gills and crappie with ease. Crappies even topped the 12 inch mark on a few occasions. The backbone was fabulous and the tip was the factor that showed the bite! Love it and just called Jason personally to share my thoughts, and happened to order another!!!

Hey dark cloud I put a post up asking about rods page er 2 back titled 'frabil gussy' check it out and give me a thought idea or clue maybe? !

Fisky - I have not checked out the "gussy". Our Ice Show out here is in two weeks, i'll check it out and compair it to others.

Sounds kinda like a walleye sweetheart would fit the bill though. It will handle a heafty jig...

Have 2 meatsticks and really like them. They are nice for smaller pimps and have landed small perch and nice eyes with it. Nice rod to have.