• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Ice Equipment

Greg Clusiau

Put it this way. I knew a guy once that carried an inner tube with him because he knew the ice was questionable. In other words he knew there was a greater chance of walking onto thin ice so he made it a point to carry the inner tube along. My opinion is that if you are that concerned that the ice is that questionable, then you probably don't belong venturing out.

Sounds like a smart guy to me. He was able to enjoy his favorite past time for a couple of extra weeks at nobody's expense but his own. Who is anybody else to ridicule him?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His family for the pain and suffering he put them through after his death. Thinking only of himself.

No fish is worth drowning for I thought!!!

His death? So we assume that because he is taking extra safety precautions that he is more likely to die than the other 10K guys venturing out on early ice?

Are we assuming further that if he does go through the ice that the innertube is not going to float or keep his upper-body above water?

You guys are making brash judgments against somebody and you don't even know how thick the ice was he is walking on. SO easy to sit back and point the finger isnt' it? Just seems ridiculous to do so when you don't know all the facts or entire situation. Just assume that because he has a PFD he is an [PoorWordUsage] for venturing out on the ice.

Now... continuing to walk out after already falling through near shore...that I can't help with, lol. That is just crazy, but again, I'm not going to put him down. It's his business, his life, his risk. Guy posts some information and questions and gets slammed and insulted for it. Give the guy a break - if he wanted your opinion of him walking out early he would have asked for it. I assure you he is well aware the risk.

There is a reason they call that breed "die-hard".

I remember last year on the news the DNR telling people that no ice in MN is safe, yet I just got off 6" of solid clear ice landing a delicious meal of fine bass (OK it wasn't bass grin) . I then get 12 phone calls from friends and family telling me that the ice isn't safe because they saw it on the news. It's ridiculous is what it is and then I have to hear about it from everyone I know, and furthermore my family gets worried. Many of the same guys that sit back and scold how the ice isn't safe are the same ones that wait until they see a bunch of guys on the ice before venturing out...the guys on the ice probably being the same guys they ridiculed behind their backs the days leading up. If you haven't been out and checking on the ice than you really don't know how safe it is.

Now I'm certainly not going to blame the guy who waits until the end of cautious, but there is little reason to call others out for doing something you were too afraid to do, or because you are sure that you "know better".

Please step off the soapboxes!

Seems that you are getting your buns in a pretty big bunch, tsande00. It's obvious that no ice is 100% safe but it is equally obvious that there is no justification for someone venturing out on what is obviously questionable ice. Have you ever seen ice from the bottom? It's not a flat slate. It can vary by many inches. I went out on Osakis one year off of Battle Point and drilled a hole. I found the ice to be about 12" thick. I checked depth and it wasn't the depth I was seeking so I walked a little further onto the ice and drilled another test hole. What I found surprised the whatever out of me. Had I been driving my truck, which I feel confident is a relatively safe thing to do on 12" of ice, I would have been sitting on the bottom in about 40 feet of water because when I drilled that second hole I discovered only 5" of ice. This was only a few yards from the 12" of ice I measured in the first hole. Now if ice can vary by as much as 60% in just a few yards, imagine what 2" of ice could be just a few feet away.

In a nutshell, if you are ever out on dangerously thin ice like 2" and fall through, I pray that it is not me that happens to be there to witness it because I'm not likely to help someone that is being irresponsible simply to flex his chest.

To me it seems like the ones ripping these people are the people with their buns in a bunch...I mean name calling? Really? I thought that stopped in elementary school.

I agree it's not a good idea to go out on 2" of ice but I don't agree with slamming somebody when you don't know all the facts. Unless of course your absolutely perfect and never do anything wrong...people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

People trying to come off as smart and sensible on a web forum are often times the ones lacking both.

I don't mean to continue the hacking but, you also have to consider the lives of the people that see you fall through. I'm sure there isn't a person on here or fishing that wouldn't try to help someone that has fallen through. Therefore you also endanger the lives of these people. Accidents happen enough without help. I think we all just want to have a safe and enjoyable ice season.

jigginjerk-

Except the post above from BobT -

"In a nutshell, if you are ever out on dangerously thin ice like 2" and fall through, I pray that it is not me that happens to be there to witness it because I'm not likely to help someone that is being irresponsible simply to flex his chest."

I don't mean to continue the hacking but, you also have to consider the lives of the people that see you fall through. I'm sure there isn't a person on here or fishing that wouldn't try to help someone that has fallen through. Therefore you also endanger the lives of these people. Accidents happen enough without help. I think we all just want to have a safe and enjoyable ice season.

Honestly, they can stay on shore and not help if that's their prerogative. I'll try to save the guy in the thin ice. Sounds like a good challenge. What fun is it if its easy?

Everyone should keep in mind that there are a million ways to die. Each and every one of you is probably partaking in some of those activities. Should we start beating up on late ice people? River ice? early open water? flooded water? night fishing? They are all dangerous. We just do what we can to mitigate those risks.

That high school teacher I had was right. Common sense is not so common.

I know what you mean... Have you seen some of the crazy things those rock climbers do? Jeez. The mountain climbers are even worse! And if they took a spill they are selfishly risking the lives of others to come save them.

Acrobatic, aerial skiiers! Wow, one wrong move and they have a broken neck. I wonder if they thought about their families. They would be so much safer if they just decided to not leave the ground.

How about acrobatic flying? Those guys are begging for death.

I can't believe anybody in life would ever take a calculated risk. Oh the nerve!

About the only winter sport safe now days is curling and I bet they risk slipping on the ice and smashing their heads too.

People do riskier things when they are passionate about something and it goes way beyond the guys who venture out on 2 to 3 inches of ice...it's just a facet of life. The sooner we can let it go and focus more on our own lives the better off we are. 2c

Sooo....... lets get back on topic.

I would have brought some tip ups and some bait and fished the 4" of ice. grin

Thanks - I think we needed a laugh. grin

I would have brought a bag of sunflower seeds and peanuts. Maybe even have a bonfire out on the lake. Warm my hands with a heater that scorches through 1 lb propane tanks and how could I forget my home made real weeds that may or may not leech contaminants into the lake.

This is on topic as the question was whether the original poster was forgetting something and I gave my reply. I also notice that as this thread continues the ice thickness you have been referencing has been getting thicker. We're talking about less than 2" of ice and not 3 or 4.

To me the idea that someone is willing to walk out on 2” of ice or less to go fishing is real fool-hardy. I own a .44 magnum revolver with a six round cylinder. Walking out on thin ice for a fish is about the same risk as loading 1 round and playing Russian roulette with my .44mag.

Claiming to be prepared for the risk by wearing a life jacket, dragging a rope, and/or carrying ice picks makes about as much sense as preparing for Russian roulette by having a box of band-aids and some sterile gauze handy. In either case the chances of not surviving if the inevitable happens are pretty much nil. Just as the ice walker may get lucky and fall through close to shore, the Roulette player might get lucky and not blow his head off. I suppose there is a slightly better chance of surviving the ice issue because you have about 3 minutes to get out of the water whereas blowing one’s head off would be a bit quicker death.

I haven’t been posting because I’m trying to engage in name-calling or ridicule. I don’t think there is anything funny about this at all. My hope is that maybe someone will think twice about it the next time and just maybe not pull that trigger on a live round.

Go ahead and be stupid if that’s what trips your trigger. I won’t stop you. To coin a phrase from Reinhard1, “Good luck!”

I don't think falling through the ice is the end of the world. It happens all the time, not that it's a desirable experience. I've fallen through myself in mid-January (when I was about 15). Hopped off the snowmobile and walked about 40 ft, splash. Must have been a spring nearby. I was able to crawl up on the ice and crawl back to the sled. No picks, no rope. There were 3 other people with me at the time (2 being my younger siblings and 1 neighbor) and I told them to get away, I'd take care of it myself. Then I beat feet back to the cabin. If it was all that rare why are there so many people with floating ice suits? It isn't for 24 inch ice.

Just prepare as much as you can and have a good time.

Now we're comparing Russian roulette to walking out on thin ice with a life jacket or inner-tube? Now I've heard it all.

My bro in law fell through last year on late ice, by himself, on the way to his fishing spot. He simply pulled himself up and went out and fished for another couple of hours.. Said he wasn't going to let some wet clothes ruin his day of fishing. Now to me that's crazy, but I'd be a fool to ridicule him for his choices simply because they differ from mine.

A family friend fell through on Mille Lacs several years ago in full snowmobile suit with helmet. He went all the way under and had to find the light to get out. Again, he pulled himself up, got back on the sled and raced back to a shelter to warm up and get dry clothes on.

Not sure why people think that if you fall through you are going to die. Fact is your probably NOT going to die, just be VERY uncomfortable.

I want at least 3 inches (and that is me being risky and adventurous). If my spud goes through on one swing I'm not going fishing, simple as that but I can tell you right now that I have been ridiculed by people for going out to check the ice simply because it is early in the year and nothing to do with ice thickness because THEY DON"T KNOW HOW THICK THE ICE IS! and it's complete B.S. Mind your own business and we'll all be happier people. Don't assume that somebody is "stupid" because they are comfortable out on the ice earlier than you are or that the ice must be too thin because they have PFD with them.

This thread is not about 3" thick ice. This thread is not about mid-January ice that is typically 2-3 feet thick. This thread is about 1-3/4" ice! You don't crawl back up on 1-3/4" thick ice BECAUSE it will crumble when you try. Basically what you will need to do is swim back to shore not only against the resistance from your wet clothing and the 30 degree water but also breaking ice as you go. Good luck with that!

You compared this to rock climbing and mountain climbing. Okay. First, you don't do these things alone and having a partner along is not adding to the risk it is adding a level of safety. Adding more people on an already thin layer of ice is not adding safety it is adding risk. Second, when rock climbing you are adding safety catches as you go and you have a safety harness in the event that you should fall. To take similar risk with these activities use ropes that are rated for your weight and nothing more. Now, if you fall the question will be whether the gear will save you or not. Probably not. Same is true if you fall through 1-3/4" of ice.

You brought up acrobatic flying. Maybe I'll give you that one but then again, they don't do it without safety nets until they've practiced their craft until they can do it blindfolded.

What about sky diving? To take the same risk one would have to use a chute that was barely rated to support them and then hope like heck that it doesn't fail.

Quote:
Don't assume that somebody is "stupid" because they are comfortable out on the ice earlier than you are or that the ice must be too thin because they have PFD with them.

I never said anybody was stupid. I said it was a stupid thing to do. There's a difference.

I have not ridiculed anyone. Quite the contrary.

Here is a neat thing to try. Fill a 5 gal. bucket with water add ice and about 1 dollar of pennies. Wait about 15min. and try and see how many pennies you can pick up with your bare hands. It is really amazing how quick your body start to shut down muscle control. It sounds like this fellow made the right call by not continuing out on the ice. I'm new to this forum and realy enjoying all the ideas good and bad.

BobT

Quote….." I also notice that as this thread continues the ice thickness you have been referencing has been getting thicker. We're talking about less than 2" of ice and not 3 or 4."

I think you may to read the first post again, but i will quote it for you …Quote

" I was getting consistent 4" of ice for a while but then it started thinning out. That's when I retreated.

Again, time to get back on topic.