• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

first ice lake winnipeg

LeeMB

Just got back from walking out on Lake Winnipeg at the south end. There was a solid 6"of ice out for 500yds. There will be some driving issues with broken ice in some spots. Only a few inches of snow on the lake so no slush yet.

The walleyes can keep you really busy all day.

There could be a chance for a few large northern pike during March. There are a few openings to some large swamps along the south shore that may be worth dangling a dead bait but nobody is really doing it.

Also during March the tulibees and white bass start showing up in places just under the ice. Last March some decent size perch were also being caught, but not enough to make a trip specifically for perch.

I've seen several ice fishing shows on winnipeg for trophy walleyes. What else (if anything) is targeted regularly in the winter up there? If I was ever going to ice fish in canada, that might be a place to consider.

Is the mighty greenback not enough!?! grin

Its hard to fish something else when your rippin out 4-6lb walleyes all day! Manitobwalleye2 is correct though, there are some areas to fish for Large Pike in March. It can be an adventure to get to some of them though. We don't have a lot of roads and infastructure along the lake so it makes things more challenging.

You might wonder farther up the road a bit and do pike, near the Viking River. Plenty of big pike in the Netley Marsh too, inner lakes area.

Netley Marsh Map

Perch out on the lake a bit farther North near Gimli too, if the ice is good.

lake-winnipeg.gif

I would have a real tough time tearing myself off the Greenbacks personally. Big pike are a Hoot too, and they are some pig there too.

I've heard sucess stories from a buddy who went to UND that fished the greenies and it sounds like a blast. I didn't get much of the details though. Something I should try with its proximity from Fargo.

Any information on where to start? A couple generic locations or landmarks would be helpful.

vman, it's north of Winnepeg.

Round about 3 hrs or so N from GFKS give er take depending on border crossing.

Saw some pics on a Mb forum of some nice fish caught on the river today.

What about lake landmarks? Consistent points? flats? humps that produce? Where the river dumps in might be a place to start?

Quote:
Saw some pics on a Mb forum of some nice fish caught on the river today.

Yep, 2"-4" of slushy ice where they fished, according to the heros shocked!!!

Did he mention it's almost all frazzle & the current is still pretty nasty, too??? Some guys just won't get it until someone else has to go risk THEIR life to save them mad.

I might walk out on the lake right now... not a chance on the river, yet eek !!!

Ya man Terry that finger picture was something. Go thru all the way on there and your not swimmin upstream back to that hole.

Lot's of winter to come. I'm waiting a few before I do any walking on this pond yet.

Looking foreward to hearing your stories from Greenville this winter, Enjoy.

I'm rooting for you in January's big event!

I almost barfed when I saw that pic sick!!! Yep... no PFD's or flotation, picks, ropes, or anything other than rods, bait, flashers, etc. Perfect recipe for disaster, anyone shocked???

17' of water on the Red, nasty current, 2" of sketchy ice... eek. I PM'd the older one to ask him [PoorWordUsage] (if anything confused) he was thinking, risking himself and that kid out there for a few fish. I hear they're getting seriously blasted on those sites, too whistle.