• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

electric start in winter

Powder

I recently purchased a 2002 Polaris Sportsman 400. When I bought it the battery wasn't the greatest so I had the dealer test it (very low voltage) and replace it with a new one.

When it's warm out the electric start works just fine, but since it's dropped below freezing it won't start it. The pull start works just fine. Should I be expecting the electric start to work even when it's cold? It is parked outside.

What do you have for engine oil, gear lube?
I think pinus, may have a good question here. What is the motor oil you are using? My Polaris called for 0-40 synthetic. If you have something thicker in there it may just not let it turn over fast enough. If you just bought it you may want to change the oil to a thinner brand from a dealer.

But does it turn over when it is cold with the electric start or is there nothing there??

I'm wondering why this question has not been answered. There's no reason the electric starter shouldn't be able to turn it over if you can with the hand starter. Even my 300 is too hard to pull over at 10 degrees but my electric can pretty well.

But does it turn over when it is cold with the electric start or is there nothing there??

The starter does make some noises sometimes when it's cold. Otherwise it doesn't turn it at all.

When we bought it we brought it in to a mechanic and had the oil changed. I'm not sure what weight.

Thanks for all the help. Please keep the tips coming.

1st make sure your new battery is fully charged by a charger, assuming it is, sounds like your starter may have been used with a weak battery too long. Your starter may be weak/ going bad. Often a bad starter will make a good battery seem bad, unless the engine is hot. You could amp your starter and compare that to what it should be.

Could also have moisture/gunk in the starter from summer riding through mud.

We did have water in the starter. The pull cord was not seated properly when we when through some water. I took it in to the dealer and they took it apart and re-greased it. But since then the electric start doesn't work properly.

Do you think that when it warms up and dries on it's own that the starter will work again?

I keep a battery tender on mine and that works like a charm. I may not start mine for a few weeks at a time and with the tender it starts right up. I only keep it plugged in with the tender in the winter months.

My Bombardier Traxter won't start all the time with the electric start when in is cold. I just have to use the pull start to break the compression and then the electric will work. Don't know why but that's what works for mine.

My Bombardier Traxter won't start all the time with the electric start when in is cold. I just have to use the pull start to break the compression and then the electric will work. Don't know why but that's what works for mine.

You want it just over the compression stroke and then it will then have enough momentum to roll over and start