• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Traveling with a bulk propane tank

bigdog2755

I have 2 door sedan that i put all my ice fishing gear in, i'm just wondering if it is a bad idea to travel with a bulk tank in a enclosed vehicle. Should i just stick to the 1 lb green cylinders so this is not a issue. Just to point out i do not smoke and do not allow other people to either. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Part of my concern is that to get my clam 5600 in my vehicle i have to put my back seat down, and when i get all my other gear (power auger,vex,rods,bait bucket etc.) the only place i forsee being able to put the tank is on top of the shelter in the back of the vehicle, not the trunk.

I have one of those hitch carriers and that would be a good place to carry one along with auger gas, the auger and all the bad stuff. When I bought my hitch carry I was worried I would never use it but it appears I use it all the time.

I know they make a smaller version for cars.

Secure the tank properly is the key.

Water check valves from time to time to be sure they are not leaking. Can't hurt to vent the enclosed area a bit too. If you smell gas, vent a while before entering.

Lots of common scenes stuff. Securing tanks properly is a big deal and most do not take the time to do it.

1 lb tanks tend to leak more in my experience. Refiled 1 lb tanks especially as they often get the valved damaged in the process, be very cautious about them. They should be well nested and secured too a they have even less protection from being damaged in transit.

I've used the milk crate for years. The tank sits inside very nice. I also put a heavy piece of wire across the tank through the handles and attached it to two sides of the crate, easy pick up, just grab the tank handle and everything is in one pice no slipping of the tank, its a one handed operation. Works great in the sled too as it sits flat on the floor and in the porty very stable. eliminates the chance of knocking just the tank over and find you just burned a hole through your $500 dollar fish house canvas. Crates are easy to find at any office supply store....I have two crates attached to the back rack of my ATV as well great spot for the flasher and minnow bucket. I also have the drop down Cabellas rack which will hold three 5 gallon buckets behind the rack. It can carry a lot of equipment. Just my nickels worth...good luck

My 20lb tank road in the back seat of my civic the last 3 seasons. Never a problem, always standing upright and secure. Never once smelled gas. If I put it in my trunk it would never be as secure and had to be on its side with the possiblitly of rolling around.... I think it was safer in my back seat sitting upright and secure 2c

dont worry about it with the relive valve you will never have issues. I have had mine slaming around the back of my truck and now issues. I have freon tanks and torch tanks that at one time or another have fallen out of the truck and now issues yet smile. However if you get in a major accident or starts on fire you might have issues. run like hell

Sounds like part of the issue is the hassle of the little 1#'ers and a 2o# bulk tank...If you can afford it, buy one of the smaller 5# tanks...they fit in the smaller nooks and crannies of your trunk, and they last 2-3 long days out running a buddy heater...They cost about $30, but they more than make their money back by buying in bulk, saving room in the ice shack when you have to have it inside, etc. I bought mine 15 years ago at Gander and have never gone back to using a 20#'er...the only downfall is when you go to get it refilled, most people don't have a clue as to how much to charge you! I had a guy at Holiday last year fill it for free, he was so perplexed!