• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Contour Maps for Smartphones

THavas

i'm guessing the 9.99 is the European price -- the us$ conversion is a bit more

How does the Iphone work up on Lake of the Woods as far as signal? - a friend is thinking about going that route because he loves his Ipod

I paid 9.99 too.

I get decent signal on rocky point, but not much once I get too far (past 12 mile) out.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, I tried the overlay maps option (which was part of the newest update). The app freezes at .08mi level every time. I had to turn the overlay off and it works fine.

Also I was told by Navionics a while ago that pinch zoom could be coming with an update in the future.

Dtro you talked me into it..thanks love it so far. I can't wait to try it next to my H2OC. One thing I did notice that you mentioned was the lock up with map overlay turned on. No problems anymore...thx

One way to find out how long the battery lasts is leave the phone on w/ the app running and GPS on. Of course it is the display that consumes the juice. On you Droid, go in to Settings > Battery Manager > Touch for Statisitcs and you can see the consumption. You can also make changes to the Battery Savings.

Right now mine says:

26% - Display

18% - Android System

18% - com.motorola.home

14% - com.motorola.providers.contacts

6% - Android OS

... few other small 2%

I will charge my phone to 100% tonight, turn on GPS, Open up Navioncs and make sure GSP is tracking. Then come morning, I'll check the batter life and let you know. Someone w/ iPhone and HTC phone want to try as well?

Hey Guys,

My droid x just tried to update my navionics app and it errored out. The program works fine still, but I think it needed to be connected wirelessly. I connected it wirelessly but the update is not coming back up? Is there a way to manually force the navionics app to update? Thanks.

As I said earlier I just got a smartphone and am getting used to all the "apps"...I just went to download this and have a question...is it safe to enter CC info on these wireless networks? Is there another way to pay or is it safe? Thx.

Yes, do it all the time. You have greater chances of getting your CC info stolen from your mailbox or over your cordless phone then on the internet, and especially the WiFi (as long as your using common sense anyways - trused sources. Your Cell Phone Market Place will be just fine)

i was on wifi and it said 3 hours remaining at like 24% but it only ended up taking about another 10 minutes. at the time the download speed may have just slowed so it thought it would take longer. plug it in and let it work.

Hey Guys,

My droid x just tried to update my navionics app and it errored out. The program works fine still, but I think it needed to be connected wirelessly. I connected it wirelessly but the update is not coming back up? Is there a way to manually force the navionics app to update? Thanks.

Go into the market and hit the options softkey, select downloads, and it will bring up a list of all your downloaded apps. It will also show the apps that have updates available. If the Navionics app has an "update" along side of it click on it and select update.

I got it installed last night....after about the 3rd try it took about 20 minutes. Wow, can't believe all of that for $13. Bye bye H20C.

Question - the only thing I couldn't figure out was how to take a screen shot like some of you have posted. How do you do that?

I got it installed last night....after about the 3rd try it took about 20 minutes. Wow, can't believe all of that for $13. Bye bye H20C.

Question - the only thing I couldn't figure out was how to take a screen shot like some of you have posted. How do you do that?

There are Apps you can download to taking screen captures, however, your phone must be Rooted. Rooting your phone can cause issues, and for sure it voids the warranty. Many people seem to be doing it and some said don't.

Navionics tracking GPS ran last night for 9 hours and consumed 70% of the battery on my Motorola Droid2.

I would think once I found my spot, I would kill the GPS to save battery. I will run that test tonight.

(It's 7 degrees out!)

9hrs??

Impressive. I've heard others say more like 2-3hrs running constantly. Did you have your screen on the whole time too? I'm guessing not.

I did receive a reply back from Navionics about the freeze up on the new update. Here is what they said:

This is a known issue with the update to version 4.3 of the Navionics Mobile app for Android. We are currently working on a solution for this issue. Please provide some additional information to assist us in developing a solution to this issue. Please provide the following:

App title (ex. Marine: US East)

Android Operating System

Model of Android phone you are using

Please provide this information, and we will contact you back when we have a solution to this issue.

Best regards,

Navionics Mobile Team

Some phones don't require root (My HTC EVO 4G for instance). You can go to the Market and download "ShootMe" and give it a try. But the other poster is correct, it usually requires root. You can also try the HSOforum www.phandroid.com and click on "Forum". Scroll to the bottom of that page and find you make/model of phone and search threads about screenshot apps for your phone.

Here are a few screens for those who are still on the fence about buying this. Let me know if you want to see menu or options screens and I can post up a screenshot.

snap20101128_092230.png

snap20101128_092240.png

snap20101128_092245.png

snap20101128_092252.png

snap20101128_092310.png

DONT SELL YOUR GPS!

I love the app for one reason. no way could I justify to the boss buying a $150 gps + card and etc. I could however sneak the $9.99 by her for a app for my phone (granted the phone was not cheap but in her eyes the phone is not a toy I am buying for myself).

Navonics works awsome but if you are used to a nice gps you may be less then happy about the preformance of this app. So please dont sell your GPS until you have played with this app a few times.

one big thing I have noticed is that in the summer time in the boat this app does not work as well as a GPS due to the fact that it does not zoom in far enough and updates slower then say a H20. Winter time = awsome for this beacuse you find a spot and sit, but drifting or trolling is not a strong point of this app.

I am glad all of you guys are finding this and seeing how cost efective it is to get these programs on to our phones now please join me in convicing the guy on these forums that makes the hunting maps to get with the program and make a I phone version of his maps.

I bought a H2OC because at the time I couldn't swing a unit an actual for the boat and wanted some form of map chip to get me through the season knowing that I would eventually be able to make the boat unit happen. I mostly muskie fish and being constantly on the move holding the hand held, casting, running the trolling motor was a pain....BUT...it was better than nothing so we made it work. I'd much rather have a boat unit...which I will have prior to the next opener and selling the H2O will make it hurt less. grin

Good to know about taking screen shots...I'll work on that tonight.