• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Contour Maps for Smartphones

THavas

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what r the downfalls? Why isnt everyone doing this?

They are afraid they will drop their phone down the hole with the hotspots marked!

I have a Palm Pre and cannot get the app...I'll have to keep using my "old" H2O technology for now until I can upgrade to the Droid, LOL!

Really the only 2 negative I can think of is that it eats your phone battery (will probably drain it in 2 hours if run constantly) and also the fact that you are using a phone that is not nearly as bulletproof as something like an H20. You can however buy an otterbox for it which would help a lot.

Like mentioned above though, you can literally go from not having the GPS function on, and open the APP and have a lock-on within 5 seconds. Try that with your H20.

I have an HTC Incredible with 4.3 version and so far it works flawlessly . The GPS is accurate to a couple of feet sometimes up to 14 feet depending on satelittes. I have a 16 GIG memory card so plenty of memory. You need a large card as you will be saving tracks and routes and points. It will also let you save photos as points, you can take a photo and it geo tags it so you have a visual to look at. This is a must have app if you have a smartphone.

Is there any difference between those maps and the maps you buy for $100 for your handheld GPS?

It's kind of annoying that you can buy them for a smart phone for 1/8th the cost...especially if you don't want to have a smart phone.

Considering that everything is done "over the air", (no memory cards, no shipping cost, no handling costs) it has to cut the overhead for Navionics ten fold.

Thus the reduction in price.

Plus having access to all our phones will probably be a good marketing tool in the future. wink

In that case why don't they offer to let people download it to their own card. I can't imagine that they are paying $86 per card (shipping included).

I suppose they have more control how the program is used i.e. can't copy it to other phones. It would be nice if one could connect a handheld to their computer and download maps for the lower price directly to their handheld.

Holy smokes, this is insane. I just got a smart phone about 2 weeks ago and am getting used to the whole "app" deal. grin I'd heard this was out there but just thought of checking it out this morning on my way to work and then I log in here and bammo 9 pages of exactly what I wanted to see! ha!

I also bought a H20C late last summer....well, guess I don't need that! smile Another one for sale. grin

When you guys say use a wifi connection for the download does your phone need to be plugged into your computer that is on Wifi? Sorry, technical retard here.

Considering that everything is done "over the air", (no memory cards, no shipping cost, no handling costs) it has to cut the overhead for Navionics ten fold.

Thus the reduction in price.

Plus having access to all our phones will probably be a good marketing tool in the future. wink

That's why albums on iTunes are so cheap then... I personally think it is the economics of the smart phone market--people wont pay as much. You see it with games too. How much is a video game for a Nintendo DS, or Wii? 35-50 bucks.

Nobody would ever spend that on a iphone download, and the companies know this. So you see tons of great iphone games that are $1.99. It is the price that the market is willing to pay.

Plus, theyre making tons of money on the carts, this $13 is all profit. Navionics also has a DVD of their charts for $20 too. Theyre doing a great job of finding alternative markets for their charts.

When you guys say use a wifi connection for the download does your phone need to be plugged into your computer that is on Wifi? Sorry, technical retard here.

You will need to have access to a wireless high speed connection. Do you have a wireless router at home or work? That is the easiest, otherwise you can get Wi-Fi service at a lot of public places. You just need to enable the wi-fi on your phone (there is a setting) no cords needed. Instead of using the 3G or wireless phone connection it uses the wi-fi.

You don't need to be plugged into your computer, you just need to be getting your internet via the Wifi instead of your phones data plan. (In other words you should be connected to your homes wireless internet or to a public wireless internet like Starbucks, McDonalds, etc.) Wifi is much faster and efficient than 3G (3G is your phones data plan).

How dare they charge less. smile

BTW, another fun fishing APP is Jimmy Houston's Fishnotes. It logs all your fish and other pertinent data such as location, weather, time etc all in one touch of a button.

You will need to have access to a wireless high speed connection. Do you have a wireless router at home or work? That is the easiest, otherwise you can get Wi-Fi service at a lot of public places. You just need to enable the wi-fi on your phone (there is a setting) no cords needed. Instead of using the 3G or wireless phone connection it uses the wi-fi.

Got it! We have a wireless router at home....just needed to know to enable the wi fi on the phone. Thx!