• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Contour Maps for Smartphones

THavas

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iPhone > droid

Get off your apple hating soap box like I did! You can thank me latter.

Anyway I phone pictures.... Both buttons at the same time to take a screen shot. Then head over to the photobucket app and upload the pic. Last post the pic back here in the quick reply with the IMg code supplied by photo bucket

Simple...

8cec7b2e.jpg

I have been playing with this on my iPhone. So far, from the boat, it seems really accurate. The GPS updates frequently enough and I'm sure when on ice it will really help those of us that like to get on "out of the way" water. A ton of maps (US North) with lots of lakes that I can only find on the MN DNR site (contours match exactly. Here is a comparison of contours on iPhone (right image) and Lowrance 522i. Color shading helps to quickly find holes, points, etc.

full-31027-3802-iphonenavionics.jpg

FYI, I tried the overlay maps option (which was part of the newest update). The app freezes at .08mi level every time. I had to turn the overlay off and it works fine.

Also I was told by Navionics a while ago that pinch zoom could be coming with an update in the future.

This was the feature that when I enabled, caused the app to no longer work. Maybe because i was zoomed in to 0.04 when I enabled???

Just wanted to see what everyone else is downloading.

I purchased the Lakes: US NORTH version which includes the 5 state area plus michigan.

When i tried to down load it, it said it was 1028MB and I only have 980 available MG on my SD card. It is a 2Gig card. What size do you all have in your phones?

I have a Hero that I just updated the software in to the latest version this morning.

Do I need to get a bigger SD card or did I try to purchase the wrong app?

I uninstalled and got a refund until I get this figured out.

Thanks

I also sent an email to Nav

I’m using a DroidX with version 4.3 maps.

The US Lakes North is what you want for the Android Platform. Yes it’s a big file to download. My phone came with a 16gb card so I won’t have to worry about filling it for a while.

This is from the Nav site:

Q. I don't have micro SD, but have a lot of memory in phone. Why doesn't the app download?

A. The Navionics apps are made of two parts: apps and charts. The app downloads from the Android market to your phone's memory. The charts download from the Navionics server to your micro SD at the first access to the app. You can not download the charts to your phone's memory. A micro SD card is mandatory.

Q. How much storage space will Navionics Mobile consume on my Android phone?

A. The app is 4 MB. As to the maps, it varies depending on the one download, but is typically 100-200MBs, and can be as much as 525MBs. We recommend checking to see if you have enough memory space on your Android phones before proceeding with the download.

Q. What should I do if I realize that my Android phones does not have enough memory to host the map that I have just purchased?

A. If you don't have enough space in your phone to download the Navionics Mobile apps, the phone will notify you of this. You will need to free space in your phone and on your micro-SD to proceed with the download.

I bought this app last week for my iPhone. It worked great the first two days I had it, butnow when I press the icon on my home screen it doesn't open the app. Any one else having this problem with the iPhone?

Try either rebooting your phone or double-clicking your main button, find & hold down the Navionics icon on the bottom, and hit the X to kill it.

Wow, reading this makes me thankful that i have the iphone. Just one click from the app store and it works great.

You don't need to have a phone plan to use the GPS. It is built right into the phone's hardware, you wont be able to use google maps or whatever because that app downloads the map data as you need it. I have used my navionics app in lots of places where I dont get any reception.

The GPS does kill the battery, the good news is that it aquires the satellite so fast you dont need to leave it on and running all the time (I have a lowrance 334 that takes forever to aquire). So I put my phone in my pocket on standby and then pull it out when I get close. I have never run out of battery out on the lake, and I use my phone to play some music/stream radio when I am out there too.

These smartphones are awesome.