• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Out ice fishing today w/ new Vex and Strike Master

blackleech

The local lake here has 4" of ice so I thought instead of pheasant hunting Id try out my new Vexilar Fl-22 and StrikeMaster Laser Mag and hopefully land some fish.

After doing lots of reading here on the forum I bought the StrikeMaster Laser Mag 8" What a difference from my old Jiffy. First thing the unit must weigh at least 10 lbs lighter then my Jiffy, it starts so easy and cuts like something unreal. Anyone looking for a new auger, I highly reccomend the Strikemasters w/ Solo's

The Vexilar Fl-22 is awesome, worlds above my old Fl-18 and Marcum LX-3tc. I was fishing in 7 feet of water and could not believe how sharp the display was once I dialed it in. No clutter on the screen and where it showed bottom...it was bottom. My Fl-18 and Marcum usually had about an inch on the bottom which I could not find my lure. If I had the unit on full power it was full of clutter even with the gain turned down but the low power mode fixed that. I think you're going to hear alot of postive reports on this new unit.

Here are some pics of my outing. I caught 5 pike in the few hours I was out. I was hoping for some walleye but maybe next trip.

IMG00064-20101126-1243.jpg

IMG00065-20101126-1302.jpg

IMG00062-20101126-1139.jpg

Nice...on Hard Water, and on Fish. Can't beat that with a stick, now can ya. smile

Also thanks for the valuable feedback on the StrikeMaster and the Vexilar FL-22HD. I greatly appreciate the input on the new units in the field.

If I understand you correctly, the LP Mode proved very important to you in that shallow water as well?

Do you now better understand, and feel, the improved balance and tune-ability of the FL-22HD?

I was really amazed how well these units tune in shallow water, I was fishing in seven feet of water and the dial was clear of clutter, all I saw was the bottom, my lure and fish when they came in. I couldnt do that with my other units I always had some clutter in the screen when I went real shallow.

Im not big on this target ID vs target seperation but when the the fish I caught came to bite the hook the instant the mark went red, fish was on. It was really tight. Ive tried almost all the Flashers out, owned both Vex FL-18 and Marcum LX 3 TC, and this unit is the best Ive used IMHO.

Cheers!!

Play with the beam width, and the gain, that will improve with practice.

Run in 20 Deg that shallow, unless your in weds, then you may need to tinker with the other two beams.

Tinker with the gain a bit more next trip.

Keep your drop length on the ducer cord a short as you can in the hole.

Be sure to wipe the tiny bubbles and bugs off the ducer from time to time too, they can effect sensitivity and clarity, because it's that sensitive.