• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hyfax ?

KC612

I've seen the video on installing hyfax from shack bash, but still have this question as when looking at some of the runner kits on some big box store websites it looks as if the runners are placed down in the grooves on the bottom of the sled, but shack bash's video looks like they may the opposite. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Stupid question?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the otter sleds have the hifax installed in the grooves. Been awhile since I installed them on my Lodge but the grooves may be incorporated into the ribs on the otter sled. Does that make sense? Fishtrap/Clam are on top of the ribs.

When I drilled the holes in the sled for the bolts I used a drill bit 1/32 smaller than the bolt diameter. This way you can thread the bolt thru the sled and this will hold the Hyfax in place while you put the washer and nut on. Makes installation much easier if you are doing it alone.

When I drilled the holes in the sled for the bolts I used a drill bit 1/32 smaller than the bolt diameter. This way you can thread the bolt thru the sled and this will hold the Hyfax in place while you put the washer and nut on. Makes installation much easier if you are doing it alone.

Exactly! This is the 1st thing I tel people new to Hyfax installs. It make life a whole bunch easier. Oh and put the hyfax on before you put the house together if you dont already have the house on. This also makes it a lot easier.

This does work great and one man can do it by themselves with no problems.

Thanks for the help. I knew I could count on you all. One more question. Would I be able to flip the sled over with the poles and tent attatched or would it bend or mess up the poles? I really don't want to disassemble if I don't have to.

The first house I had I installed the hyfax with the poles and tent on. It's more difficult and I had a friend to help. The one I got last year I put it on before assembling the house. Much easier.

Another tip for the bolts that use a hex head - get a drill bit that fits that hex, or you can just take a hex wrench and a bolt cutter and cut a section off and use it in your drill. The "smaller" hex will still work and it makes things go MUCH quicker, especially if you use the the smaller hole size mentioned above. I did my Otter Lodge in like about 30 minutes, by myself... maybe a bit longer, as I think I counted two beers wink

Also, I did my old Clam Voyager with the canvas and poles on, and it was really easy. I just used a ratchet strap lengthwise down the middle to hold the poles in place, but I also only installed two strips of hyfax on that one (some home made ones).

Good luck!

-edit - oh yeah, how I did my last one was set the sled on my tailgate, and the other end of sled on my work bench. So it was up in the air and a decent amount of room to get underneath it. Put some carpet/blanket/etc. under there and was more comfy on knees smile