• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heaters in wheelhouses

Ol' Lund

Hey guys-

Just in the planning stage of building a wheelhouse, and I think it is going to be about 7'x16' plus the V. I was wondering howe many btu's to look at for a house this size? What type of heaters do you reccomend? It will be insulated very well, so that part wont be a problem.

thanks guys!

I have a 15,000 BTU direct vent in my 6 1/2'x12' wheel house and I can sit there in a T shirt and sweat if I turn it up a ways. Mine is insulated well enough that I can keep it nice and cozy with my buddy heater on the low setting once I get it warmed up with the direct vent heater. The reason I went with a direct vent is that I don't have to worry about it not working because of a low battery. Lots of guys seem to like the forced air RV heaters though.

20K btu forced air in my 8x20 ice castle. spray foam insulated walls, floor and ceiling. I have two deep cycle batteries and external battery posts to charge the batteries off the truck if they start to run low. If you have smaller kids in the ice house, there is nothing for them to burn themselves of with a force air.

I like my forced-air atwood alot, I need to charge the battery if out for more than one night, but the even heating of the house is worth it to me. If I sit in a house with one of the ceramic non-vented ones my eyes start to burn after a while. I can tell you this for sure, getting a heater that is too big for the area you are heating is a huge mistake, be sure to match the furnace to the space.

Ol' Lund,

I have a Empire (HearthRite) Ventless 20,000 BTU Blue Flame Wall Heater out of my old wheel house. I am looking to get rid of it for around a 100 bucks with the $40 regulator. If you are looking for one. It heated my 8x12 really nice when it was on low. Send me a message if you are interested.

Tap

I have an 8*20 that I spray-foamed the walls, floor, and ceiling. I can run 24 hours on about 10lbs of propane in below zero temps. I have a 20,000 BTU suburban forced air furnace. I have it rigged to two batteries. When they get low I just plug the generator into the house and charge them up. The floor gets really dry in a hurry, especially if you arent going in and out. It is pretty cool to sit and fish in your socks and underwear.

SPRAY FOAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cant say it enough!!

Are you a light sleeper? IF so you will here the forced air furnace. I put both in mine. (Forced air and direct vent empire) 15000 BTU is more than enough if you spray foam. The forced air is awesome for keeping the floor dry and moving the heat around. Make sure you use thermo payne window as well. Good Luck

We Run 25,000-35,000 BTU direct vent Empires in all of our rentals. 25,0000's in the 8'x16' two man houses and 35,000 in the big 12'x24' shacks. Non vents never dry out the shack, always damp inside or foggy windows even with gas filled double panes and I just don't trust em. We have tried the forced air ones and the batteries and fans where a nightmare. The Empire direct vents are simple, easy to fix and solid as a brick ....house when it comes to the vibration from moving.