• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to take Honda in southern Minnesota

coonchaser

Hey guys, i'm in Mankato Minnesota and have to get the valves adjusted on an 05 rubicon, i have a couple questions, if i were to take it in wheres a good reliable place to take it, i'm more worried about quality than i am about the cost, also how hard is it to do on your own...thanks

Depending on your mechanical ability, its not that hard and requires very little other than standard hand tools and a feeler gauge. They need to be adjusted when cold, to .006 (six Thousandths) You'll have to remove some plastic, the fuel tank and shield. Take off the valve cover (4) bolts and you are there. Unscrew the timing hole cap ( just forward of the recoil starter rope). Look into the timing hole, you need to line up the mark on the rotor with the notch in the crankcase. You have to pull real easy to do this as the marks need to line up EXACTLY. There is more than one mark on the flywheel. The mark you want should look like a T. When you are at TDC on the compression stroke, both valves are closed, and the timing mark and notch are precisely aligned. Take your .006 feeler gauge and insert it between the top of the valve stem, and the rocker arm. Slowly pull the gauge out, you should feel a slight drag, if there is no drag the clearance is too loose, if there is a heavy drag the clearance is too tight. If the clearance is incorrect, loosen the adjuster locknut with a box end wrench. Turn the adjusting screw until proper clearance is achieved, then tighten the locknut, double check the clearance to make sure it hasn't changed while tightening the locknut. Then do the same for the other valve. install the valve cover. Then install the timing hole plug, tighten to 84 in-lbs. Reassemble and test run.

Don't you have any faith in Mankato Honda? I don't really blame you there. It's very hard to find anywhere to service the toys in this area. If petterson's Ski Doo in Madelia is still open I would go there but I believe he is or will be shutting down. A shame since he is a really good guy.