• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Calling in Late Season bucks

This is my first year with a Muzzy and I found a nice bedding area and food source and the camera shows A LOT of activity in the last 4 days but all during dark hours- AM and PM, only 1 of 235 photos during daylight. What can I do to bring the deer out during the light? Thanks

After being shot at for 2-3 weeks, deer dont like to move unless they have to like in this cold, I myself am gonna sit over a bean feild saturday moutning that tuck away in a far corner of a feild where theres cover, seclusion an feed. I am also gonna wait till sunrise to move to my mourning stand. ML can be tough unless you have a party to push woods with. Tey are really skittish. Hit the food. I wait till sunrise to go to my mourning stand, just feel that at that time they havent been pushed outa feilds or bummeped going to stand cause they like to move alot earliwer to their beds after being shot at for so long. early to mid mourning with this cold they get up an mill around to get warm an brouse. My 2 cents anyway. Boar

Bucks are at the tail end of the rut now - no pun intended! laugh There may be a few hangers-on, but not many.

Depending on where you are, deer should be getting back to a fairly normal pattern again, although post rifle season evening movement is primarily in the last 15 minutes of shooting time. Mid-morning, to early afternoon can be a good time to catch some movement - back in the woods. Early morning will typically find em' bedded in deep grasses, cattails, or lowland areas way back in the woods.

This time of year I hunt back in the trees, no longer on edges. The bucks rarely stick their noses outta the woods until well after dark, but they will move around a little, way back in there, during the day.

Rattling isn't likely to work now that the confrontational period is over. You might try some fresh doe-in-estrus scent placed upwind of a bedding area, along with some soft grunting.

If your trail cams aren't showing any daylight movement yet, I'd expect to see more in another week, and as the temps get markedly colder. Up here in NW MN we've got a couple weekends off from rifle season before our muzzy season opens, so we've got a little jump start on the rest of the state. The deer are usually more predictable two weeks after rifle season closes.

I've seen three nice bucks and passed on numerous does in two nights of hunting, but I hunt areas no one else will go into. Tonight, with the on-coming storm, they should move early.

It's just a guess, but maybe your trail cams are set up too far from heavy cover. If they're set up on field edges, in clearings, or in areas where deer can be spooked by nearby human activity you won't likely see anything happen until well after dark.

If you want mature animals, now is the time to get back into the deep stuff. Don't try to "bring em' out", they're pretty wise to that now. Go to them!

This is my first year with a Muzzy and I found a nice bedding area and food source and the camera shows A LOT of activity in the last 4 days but all during dark hours- AM and PM, only 1 of 235 photos during daylight. What can I do to bring the deer out during the light? Thanks

wait intill the wind is perfect(in your favor) and stalk the bedding area take a day to move 100 yrds or in other words take it slow. This storm coming up may be just what you need to get that monster figure out the ecape routes they have and plan somthing