• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Venison snack stick ?.

i dont know of anyone unless you make it in your own house that uses just venison. beef or pork is used, that is not only good for the flavor it is also why it is why they make good money at it. straight venison in my opinion is not a good idea at all. you need beef fat or pork not only for moisture but for flavor. my preference is pork. good luck.

Gonefishing follow the advice of the experienced folks give you. It will save alot of frustration. See me pepperoni thread, I didnt add any pork and wished I had.

I'm a little bull headed and cheap on somethings. And doing my own sticks is a way to save me money from buying them over the counter. I hated having to buy the pork to mix with the deer (ah It shouldnt need it). Spend the money and buy it, its way to dry without it, but I had to try it for myself and now I know.

mabr, google witts seasonings. click deer sausage seasoning and deer stick seasoning and watch the videos. they have step by step vidios that are pretty good. even have some old timer making pepperoni. just dont buy the seasonings, not because they are not good [because they are the best ] but because they are way too expensive on line. call me and i'll tell you were to buy them. i bought mild italian, enough to make 50 pounds for 3.99 and on line they were over 15 bucks. but check out the vidios i think you might like them. good luck.

You'll need the fat.

For sticks use the smaller grinding plate.

A stuffer works best for stuffing because of the smaller casing and stuffing tube. If you have to use your grinder to stuff use the large plate, keep the meat cold and clean the knife and plate at the first signs of getting clodded. What you want to avoid is making a paste.

what surface tension said is correct by using the fine plate for sticks. however your first grind [when you just grind the meat] should be with the course plate. then add your seasonings, mix, and run them through the fine plate and then stuff. let your meat and seasoning mixture sit in a cool place for a couple of hours before stuffing. i usualy cover it up and put it in the garage this time of year before i stuff. good luck.

i dont know of anyone unless you make it in your own house that uses just venison. beef or pork is used, that is not only good for the flavor it is also why it is why they make good money at it. straight venison in my opinion is not a good idea at all. you need beef fat or pork not only for moisture but for flavor. my preference is pork. good luck.

So if venison doesn't have good flavor why do we spend so much effort obtaining it every year?

I disagree. I use nothing but venison in my sausages and ground meat because I want to taste the venison and not the pork or beef. If I want something other than venison, I cook something other than venison.

gotta remember bob that there are many different tastebuds out there. :>) for instance I like straight deer burger patties but it's pretty dry so I mix beef with it. My wife won't eat it dry but likes it just fine mixed so that's a win,win. For burger going into chilie or hotdish either way is fine with most folks. I also like it mixed with Italian sausage or bacon but too smokey for the Mrs if I use bacon. My favotite venny treat is a steak quickfried in butter to mediumrare and then on toast with a little spice of my choosing. Some hate it that way. When I make jerky I use straight venny of course, ground and sliced with different Hi Mountain cure and spice mixtures. Some guys like jerky smoked in a smoker, I prefer it cured and then a dehydrator. venny is good so many ways. :>) Only problem I have is that some years I run out before I can hunt again! :>)

Venison is lean with little to no fat marbled in the meat and on top of that you don't want any tallow so it is trimmed off. A Venison steak cooked to med, med rare will be moist and tender. We're not talking about steak though.

Is adding spices to meat "covering up" the flavor?

Fat is an important ingredient in sausage and burger. I could go on further and say different cuts of meat are used for different types sausage. This isn't something we're dreaming up. Making sausage is an art that goes way way back in history. The % of fat in sausage recipes is very specific.

Why do you think hamburger made from beef is not 100% lean. Its not because there trying to stiff you by replacing meat with fat, its because fat is essential part for flavor, moisture, and texture.

What would beacon be without fat? Have you heard of 100% lean pork roast?

What would Prime Rib be without the fat?

If you like burger and sausage without any fat added good for you.

Those are Polish. I have done summer sausage the last three years I did polish last year for the first time now this year i am trying the sticks. I know the summer sausage looks funny. I do not use the caseings i make loaf's I like a lot of smoke. This way the smoke gets in alot deeper.

let us know how you do fishing and how your sticks turned out. i'm making an experimental 2 pound batch of garlic summer sausage tommorow. i have it curing now. if it turnes out the way i hope i will make a larger batch. i will keep in touch mabr. haven't made any big batches of sausage yet. good luck.

let us know how you do fishing and how your sticks turned out. i'm making an experimental 2 pound batch of garlic summer sausage tommorow. i have it curing now. if it turnes out the way i hope i will make a larger batch. i will keep in touch mabr. haven't made any big batches of sausage yet. good luck.

reinhard, lol, I don't think mabr was going fishing. I think he was replying to gonefishing! smile