• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Self Defense Compact Question

Hello and happy holiday to everyone. I am considering a new purchase of a compact self defense weapon. I have a Beretta FS9mm now but is too big and am looking at the Ruger LCR, SW Bodyguard 380, and also the SW MP compact 40cal. Does anyone have thoughts on performance, weight, problems, etc? Thanks for the help.

Jeff

Do you mean the Ruger LCP .380? I think so.

A friend has it and loves it. The conceal of it is so nice.

I have a SW MP 9mm compact, and its a little bulkier than I like actually. Not terribly bad.

I also have a Keltec PM9(I think thats it) 9mm. Nice small gun. Carrys nice. Reasonbly priced. Not a gem of a gun for fit and finish. But a solid little gun.

The LCP (lightweight compact pistol) is great. I carry one EVERY single day. I run starfire and powerball ammo. Alternating rounds grin That stuff will get the job done. I am also quite impressed with the accuracy. It is a great choice.

The LCR (lightweight compact revolver) is Rugers new toy. For those who prefer a revolver over a semi-automatic, I am going to guess this would be great also. I can only guess because I have not had the opportunity to shoot one yet.

When I am working I carry the LCP in my weak hand cargo pocket. When I am not working I carry my LCP in my strong hand front pocket. Nobody can see it. Nobody knows it theres. I brought it to a WILD game once. The gentlemen doing the pat down search put his hand right on it but never thought to question what it was. Afterwards I identified myself and brought it to his attention. Nice learning experience for him.

The LCP is lightyears above the Kel-tec. Those who have mentioned the Kahr 9mm are on the right track. But that gun comes with a very heavy price tag in comparison and is actually quite larger than the LCP. If your looking to carry in your waist band or shoulder holster then overall it doesnt matter too much. If your looking for a pocket concealable weapon, then your on the right track with models like the LCP and LCR.

Thanks for the input, the reason i am thinking about this is that my drive in the future will be about 100 miles rt each day. while i wont be in town i will be traveling down the freeway. i want something that i can keep in my auto or on person that is easy enough to conceal but can be quickly put in service if needed. the new az law says anyone can carry a weapon legally if they are not felons etc and can put it in an auto only having to identify it to leo if you are stopped. does anyone run reddot laser sight like the SW bodyguard380?

Yes. I have the Crimson Trace Laser sight on my LCP. I absolutely love it. Works very well for me and can be adjusted to line up with the front sight very easily.

It is a bit expensive. But worth it in my opinion. The LCP type guns are not really the type of guns a guy will be aiming too closely with anyways. So the red dot is perfect to know your on target.

I went and looked at them today. While they are all similar in size, I also looked at a diamondback 380. When i came home, i did some research seems they have some big issues. It is a shame as it looked like a baby glock. same squared off body but a dream to handle. I am tossed between ruger and the sw bodyguard. both are nice handling but both do come with their own issues. I am leaning a bit toward the sw, but not totally sold yet. Does anyone use a +P ammo in the 380? I know it is made and is useable in most weapons but is an 85 grain load vs a regular JHP 95 load.

You should really get to a range and try as many guns as you can, this will make it much easier to find "the one". With that being said I have Glock 19, Springfield XDSC9 and a Taurus TCP .380 which is almost identical to the LCP. I prefer carrying the Glock because of how much easier it is to shoot and the fire power it provides. I am not as confident in the .380 and not yet convinced that it is enough. The glock 19 seems like the perfect size pistol, I highly recommend it. Many people think it is hard to conceal the Glock size pistol but a good holster and gun belt can make it easy. If you are looking for something a little smaller take a look at the Kahr CW Series. They are very thin like the more expensive PM series but have a slightly longer grip and barrel and the best part is they can be found new for around $400. Don't overlook a good .38 snub like the LCR or the S&W 642/442, they are very reliable and easy to conceal, this will be my next purchase.

I either carry my spingfield xd40 a sigpro custom 9mm or the ruger security six .357

"Fear the man who has but one gun and knows how to use it" applies to selecting your carry gun.

IMO stick with one carry gun and carry it the same way every time.

Muscle Memory and Training are the only things that will help you survive if you need to use deadly force to protect yourself.

Quote:

"Fear the man who has but one gun and knows how to use it" applies to selecting your carry gun.

IMO stick with one carry gun and carry it the same way every time.

Muscle Memory and Training are the only things that will help you survive if you need to use deadly force to protect yourself.

I couldn't agree more! I used to think I needed multiple guns for different occasions but I changed my mind when I started carrying the G19. It is my do anything and everything gun.

I completely agree! I al

I just went with the M&P 40 fullsize - a little larger than but have been shooting my inlaws and love the way it handles - Off to class next to get my permit. Good luck deciding which route to go - Griz29

I couldn't agree more RumRiverRat!!!

In the heat of battle, it's Muscle Memory and Training that will help you survive.

I've experienced this a few times while on duty. After the dust settled and the bad guy(s) were in custody, I thought to myself "Man, I got that ASP baton, Taser, Handgun in my hand quickly."

As far as the Laser Sights, there are plus and minuses to them IMHO. I've read some articles where some SWAT teams are getting away from using Laser Sights, because instead of pointing and shooting, they're wasting valuable time trying to get the red dot on the target. Just some food for thought if you're ever in a deadly force situation, where every second counts.

Brian

I agree with BMC on the laser. If you plan at all to take your

conceal firearm to the range for anything other that training situations, then there is no use to have the laser along. People tend too often to get all caught up in it by using the laser way too often. A laser is meant for point and shoot, not aim and watch for the laser to get on target in a precise area. Keep in mind that most of the small guns mentioned (other than the glock) will not be pleasant to shoot more than 5-10 times. This is because of the ergonomics and the size & weight of them. I have owned, or shot all of them that were mentioned, and I lean towards the Glock 27, but even it has quite a recoil, nothing substancial or uncontroling, but you know you shot it! I had one and traded it for the G26 9mm which is the same size except narrower, and put A&G spacers on so I could use a G17 (17 round) magazine.

I have a glock 27, compact 40 cal. Great gun to carry and easy to conceal

My father has a glock 27 .40 which is the smallest model of the glock .40. it has a clip with an extended grip on it. so small you can put it in your pocket if you want. I love the thing! If i were to get a CC i would get a .40. Yes a 9mm would work, let alone any gun, but if you get a crazy person on drugs your going to want something that packs more punch.