• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NIls hand auger

hamms-scooter

By the time you buy a Solo and a hand auger you have paid the same as a Nils...

I have owned and used both and you will only see me on the ice with the Solo. Both are great augers but the Solo cleans the hole so much cleaner and easier.

The Nil cannot hold a candle to the Solo for cleaning out the ice chips. Other than that, there are much alike.

If the hand auger is more important than nils all the way. A six inch is effortless the eight is not bad. I have an eight and my friends have sixes. Typically we go with the six and a chisel. For me if its hand auger only I'd get the six. It allows us to locate the spot a lot easier. As far as the gas auger its a horse a piece. But for me the selling point is the one with the metal handles. Good luck

The 8" cuts nice as a hand auger. I would start with 8" if you plan to add the powerhead. I started with the 6" and when I had money to add powerhead I was disappointed that I had to then buy the 8" and the powerhead to drill size holes I wanted. The 8" hand auger is still better than any other hand auger I have used. Plus in 20" of ice I beat some dull bladed power augers in drilling...

Well my Nils 8" that I got late last year cuts easier than my lazer 6" did. The thing is that I was never once disappointed with the lazer, and I cut thousands of holes with it. So that tells you how much I like the nils. Its a true win-win, a 8" hole thats easier to cut than a 6" hole. cool

I did just pick up a 6" nils from the bargain cave for a steal and I cant wait to see how that works out. Its gonna be almost like cheating cutting holes with that one. grin Almost... Oh yeah and I am getting the ice gator adapter at the ice show to hook it up to my SM powerhead so it should be fun to see how fast that will be.

I was wondering about that adapter.... I already have a 6" lazer for my power auger just wanted to get a hand auger this year to lighten up my travels on the ice as I had to sell the wheeler. I am thinking a 8" nils.Then if I want the adapter and I will have a great set up. My total drilling options would be nils 8" by hand or attach to powerhead, 6" lazer for powerhead and 8.25" original chipper blade for powerhead. I like the 6" for pannies and have caught 25" plus walleyes with no issues But if I buy a hand auger it would be cool to just use that and have a blade that can be sharpened instead of just replaced. Nils 8" hand auger 139 bucks at big c store.Someone have one cheaper I'll take it! smile

I started this off just wondering about hand augers... Only one I have ever used was a dull mora....anything will be better then that experience... I just like that the nils can be resharpened and can go onto my power head with adapter from ice gator. Even if I couldn't put on my strikemaster head I would have a good auger. I will see what I can get for adapter then buy auger...but if it's still worth 139 bucks vs 89 for lazer hand aug. I will do it. What you guys think?

Deadeye question for you. I also got a 6" auger from Cabelas and also a extra blade. Last night went to use it and could'nt even get the blades to bite. Gonna put on the other blade and see what happens but that sucked. Picked mine up at the Owatonna branch. Wondering if yours is better than that?

Deadeye question for you. I also got a 6" auger from Cabelas and also a extra blade. Last night went to use it and could'nt even get the blades to bite. Gonna put on the other blade and see what happens but that sucked. Picked mine up at the Owatonna branch. Wondering if yours is better than that?

Pitch is off, someone abused it then returned it when they realised what they did. Many people go to Cabelas and get outfitted for a trip then return everything after the trip.