• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ICE MAP 2010/2011 (Done for the Year)

Jeremy airjer W

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12/19/2010 (Sunday) - South Lindstrom Lake - Lindstrom, MN:

About 30 yards off shore, 8 inches of ice (maybe 5 solid, 3 white). A good 3 inches of standing water/slush on the bottom layer of 5-7 inches of snow. Punch any holes, and the slush water fills up the whole area. Can't be great for floorless shelters. Sure wish we'd get a big freeze to help lock in that slush.

Was on a couple of lakes on the Sauk Chain on Sat. One lake had about 6-7" and moderate slush. The other lake had 9-10" and minimal slush.

Tonight I was on a small lake south of New Prague and it had about 6" of ice and heavy slush. A big mess is what it was.

4" to 8" or ice on the Red River in the Fargo area. Current is fast and the Red is high, and the ice is very unpredictable in it's depth and consistency.

Snow has slop under it on many spots, then ice of varying thickness, this combo further produces very spooky ice conditions.

I would not be running snowmobiles on the river at this time. Too unpredictable, too dangerous for sleds.

Caution is well advised.

Be safe!

Out for the first time this winter as I just got back from WI for winter break. I was on three different lakes just north of brainerd and found very consistant ice depths of 12-13 inches. All of these lakes had 1 inch of white (refreeze) ice and the rest was good solid ice. A fair amount of cars and trucks out in the brainerd lakes including North Long, Gull, Round. Winter is here and the fishing is good!

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I'd like to thank everyone that helped Airjer with this.

Everyone should know that Airjer volunteered to do this for all of us on own time. It took a lot of effort on his part to get all the data together from many sources and then put it into a map that is easy fora ll of us to use. Very nice!

Thank you for a job well done Jeremy smile

I just checked South Lindstrom again last night.

It's got a good solid 7-8 inches of black ice, then about 1-2 inches of slushy water, then about 1-2 inches of white ice, then another 3-5 inches of standing water/slush and snow. It's really weird - like a layered hamburger. There's 1 inch of watery slush between two layers of ice.

I want all to know that many lakes in "north of Nashwauk", Grand Rapids area, etc. have too thin of ice to drive on. This really surprises me but I have found 9" on some of the little lakes I've been fishing (2 days ago), using a snowmobile. The large lakes have set up pretty good but many of the small lakes are dangerous for truck travel. Please be careful, especially when breaking a trail.

I'm guessing the big snowfall we received early in the season insulated the little lakes and kept them from freezing like normal while the large lakes were open and the snow fell right into the lake.

These conditions are just the opposite of what normally takes place up here.