• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ICE MAP 2010/2011 (Done for the Year)

Jeremy airjer W

Northeast South Dakota: Most small lakes are locked up; larger lakes still have some open water. Richmond Lake near Aberdeen is completely iced over. Snow cover varies greatly; some lakes have significant snow cover, some lakes (like Richmond) have none.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was fishing Artichoke, a shallow lake wc MN, 12 feet or less had 5 to 6 inch's every where i checked and very little to no snow cover. The fish did not cooperate though but was still fun to get out. Checked OLiver on the way home and dang near lost my ice chisel right out from the landing less than 2" there (west side of road) east side still had some open water.

3 to four inches seems to be the norm so far. I was out on Demontraville, Jane, White Bear, and Silver lakes this morning checking the ice. 3 to 4 inches on all of them. Some spots looked open way out in the middle of Jane, but could have been black ice. Saw a couple of guys about to walk out o Silver with tip-ups. I think I could have fished but I am gonna wait for a few more inches first. The ice is here and getting stronger!!!

Just got back from one of my "go to" first ice lakes, north of Nashwauk on hwy 65 (between Hibbing and Grand Rapids). After falling in over my knee boot near shore and getting wet (cattail area), I ventured out a little further and found 3-4" of ice but being alone, didn't want to chance it so I went home. Besides, I was a little wet. Then I get a message from one of the young guys up there that they are tip-upping where I was! So I guess it's just starting to get safe. Here's a pic of where I went through. It might just be a muskrat run?? full-130-3726-dscf3451.jpg

I don't know about those cattail areas. The only times I have fallen through the ice was when I used to trap and it was always the cattail areas. Too much underwater animal traffic I think.

I think cattails (the roots) give off some sort of a gas or something.... Thats a complete guess but I thought I remember reading that somewhere.

Ok...well I got up to Duluth yesterday just before sunset. Grabbed the spud bar, ice picks,life jacket, and headed for the abbot rd launch on island. About five feet off shore there is around four inches of good ice, with two inches of slush, topped off with anywhere from 4-6 in of snow. Took about five steps further out (10 ft from shore), and found 3in. of good ice (along with the slush and snow). I didn't dare go any further and it was getting dark so I headed back home.

Today, I checked the channel in front of my dad's house (in S bay) and found four inches of good ice (+ slush and snow). Headed out to south bay where the channel opens up into S. bay and found 3.5 in of good ice (slush-snow). Went out a little further and found 2.5 in of good ice, but since I was out in the basin more, there was not much for snow or slush (thanks wind).

This is what I found on Island, I will post what I found at boulder and fish tomorrow. The slush is locking up and some spots are totally solid, but the ice IS NOT safe right now. The only places that had 4 in. of good ice were in less than 4 FOW. I still managed to put a couple tip ups in the channel, but no action. Jigged for a bit and marked some fish but no takers. BTW, I was extremely safe and careful while going about checking the ice. I didn't check any spots that were deeper than 5-6 FOW.