• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ICE MAP 2010/2011 (Done for the Year)

Jeremy airjer W

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can someone tell me what there is for ice on the smaller lakes in chisago or washington county area?? good 4 inches?? good +4 inches?

I was out in the oakdale/maplewood area saturday. I found a solid 4 inches at the four lakes i looked at about a 100 ft. out from the landings. I did not see any open water. i am guessing that it has only got better since. the warm day did not last long and I am sure more ice has been made since. I am going out saturday after the ice fishing show. I think I may try Jane out. It is small enough lake to drag my stuff out to a decent fishing spot. I hope the ice is good, I think it is worth a try. good luck and be careful.

Tanner was froze over prior to the rain/warm weather and opened back up after. Last night it was still open. The ice that may have been there Saturday may not be there this weekend, just so you know.

Thanks for the tip. I think I may take the long way home from work tonight and double check Jane out. Could be a similar situation there too.

Le Sueur area and some of Scott county: Clear Lake (Le Sueur) 4-5" on shore, and 3" about 30' out and 2" about 50. Not safe really even that far out. Quality is poor and has refroze in many area. No black ice, all cloudy and not very good ice. No one fishing yet. Prior lake (Scott) Closed one day open the next. Shores are hit n miss with anything from open water to 3". Cedar (Scott) south-south east have the most with 3-4" and the north-north east with 1-3" Have heard that Fish (scott) is locked but not with minimal ice. Same for Carls (scott) with a little more possibly.

From this morning's Duluth Paper:

KASOTA, Minn. — A fisherman has been flown to a hospital after falling through the ice of a south-central Minnesota lake.

The Free Press of Mankato reported that the man fell through the ice on Lake Washington on Thursday. A neighbor heard a call for help and called 911.

Emergency crews arrived to find an all-terrain vehicle parked near a hole in the ice several dozen yards from shore, but they couldn't see the man.

A member of the Madison Lake Dive Team jumped in the water and pulled the man to safety. His condition had not been released as of Thursday evening.

Le Sueur County Sheriff Tom Doherty estimated the ice was about 4 inches thick where the man fell through into about 12 feet of water.

But didn't it say the atv was next to the hole in the ice that he fell through? Sounds like he just found a bad spot while he was off the atv walking around.

To think a fishing outing could be your last day on earth. Now I understand why I wait until there are 6-8" of ice I just value my life more than others do. You can't be safe on less than 4" of ice because there is no standard for ice. 4" here 1.5" there a school of carp were under the ice over there you don't know what could be going on under the ice. Get a wilcraft if you must go out on early ice it is cheaper than a funeral. My sympathies go out to the family.

checked the same small lake iv been checking for the past two weeks today. was planning on fishing but i did not find the ice i was hoping for. there was around 2in of black ice with 6in of wet slush ice on top. the slush ice was not completely frozen. im waiting for that slush ice to firm up. a few pike just arent worth it.

checked out burntside as well. it was all open water off the van vac landing. i didnt see any ice.

Yesterday (Thursday, 12/2) I rechecked the same small, south metro area lake that had 2-4" last week. This time, I found 4" in almost all spots I tried with a couple 5" spots, but the top inch or two was very white and didn't seem real solid.

Looks like you were doing quite a bit of hole hopping. Catch anything else other than whats floating and laying on the ice? Thanks for the ice report, I really want to head north and fish but I'm not driving up there till it's good n safe.

Looks like you were doing quite a bit of hole hopping. Catch anything else other than whats floating and laying on the ice? Thanks for the ice report, I really want to head north and fish but I'm not driving up there till it's good n safe.

The crappies were biting pretty much non-stop (the floating one did swim back down). Had my line broke off twice (assuming northern). Today I may throw a tipup out to see if I can snag one of them.