• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ICE MAP 2010/2011 (Done for the Year)

Jeremy airjer W

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Northern Minnesota

12/20

Wheelers Point Resort, Lake of the Woods - Adrians Road - Wheelers Point access - excellent travel conditions for all size vehicles on 18+ inches

Steve Foss Guide Service - In my part of the country right now, no lake has less than 3 inches, and many lakes have 12 or more. The lakes with the least ice are those that are very deep (Canadian Shield lake trout lakes), so they cool down last. There are only two or three of those. The rest have ice that is deep and strong. Great ice up here, with only a few inches of snow cover!

12/14

The Drake Motel - Blackduck, MN - This past weekend we had a full house of anglers to kick off our ice fishing season. Several lakes in the Blackduck area were hit, some fishing and some spearing, and reports were pretty consistent with a measurement of 10 to 12" of ice. The weather has been good for making new ice, no snow in over a week and temperatures with highs in the single digits and nights going below zero.

Falls Motel - Well the ice season is underway on Rainy Lake.The first reports that I got say there are around 9 inches of ice.THAT DOES NOT MEAN EVERYWHERE ON THE LAKE!Wheeler's and snow machines are being used. They are getting some Eye"s off Birch point in sand bay. The targeted depth 25-32fow.Some of the biggest walleye of the year come off Birch point this time of year.

Wheelers Point Resort, Lake of the Woods - 16 inches of ice. Most roads open to full size vehicles by Thursday.

Greg Clusiau - I was surprised at the lack of ice on a small lake yesterday in Itasca County. We did well on the fish but take a look at the ice in this pic, which was around 4". I drove my snowmobile out there.

Mike Stark - 6.5in of good ice on shagawa where i was fishing tonight. around 5in of snow on top of the ice.

12/10

Melgeorges Elephant Lake Lodge and Resort - Elephant Lake, Orr MN has 5 inches of uniform ice. about3 inches of fluffly snow on top. Crappies caught on Dec 7.

12/08

Walleye Retreat, Lake of the Woods - December 4, 2010: Ice report: Pete, Tony and Grant checked the ice today. From our cabins up the bay to the hump we now have 6 to 10 inches of ice. After crossing over the hump onto the lake there is 7-8 inches. They checked the ice for a third of a mile out on the lake. ATV's with portables are fishing the lake today. Also some spearing in the bay. We will be taking fish houses onto the lake tomorrow and Monday.

Jessie View Resort - Ice fishing began on Jessie Lake last weekend. There is 6-8” of ice on the south end and 4-6” on the north end where we checked. Last week’s snowstorm missed us, so there’s only a thin layer of snow on the lake. Temps were -10+ this morning.

Northlander - Some Duluth area lakes are reporting 6" of ice now but its not consistant everywhere. 4-6" to be safe.

12/5

Wheelers Point Resort, Lake of the Woods -

Lake of the Woods - South shore - 6 - 8 inches - snowmobiles & atvs - stay out of the gaps

- Four Mile Bay - 4 - 7 inches - snowmobiles & atv's - stay on marked trail

Rainy River - ? - 5 inches - not considered safe for atv travel yet

Steve Foss Guide Service - Six inches of solid ice on Birch near Babbitt everywhere I drilled today.

jwhjr - 5-6" on a small lake in the Emily/Outing area.

12/02

Mike Stark - Ely area, checked the same small lake I've been checking for the past two weeks today. was planning on fishing but i did not find the ice I was hoping for. there was around 2in of black ice with 6in of wet slush ice on top. the slush ice was not completely frozen. I'm waiting for that slush ice to firm up. a few pike just aren't worth it. Checked out burntside as well. It was all open water off the van vac landing. I didn't see any ice.

mn_bowhunter - Park Rapids Area, 5-6" on a couple smaller area lakes. Larger lakes should be fishable, but I'm not brave enough.

Steve Foss Guide Service - Ely Area - Got out to check ice this afternoon on two area lakes.

I checked one small lake that got pretty much the whole dump of 18 inches or so of snow we've had in the last couple of weeks, and one large flowage/lake that only received the last couple of snows.

One Pine (small lake) had a minimum of 3 inches of solid ice everywhere I went. Two guys were fishing it. There were some areas with an 1.5 inches of frozen slush on top, then an inch or so of water, and then the 3 inches of ice. Other areas were solid all the way through and 3-5 inches.

I went to two commonly fished areas on Birch (large flowage/lake) and found generally the same conditions as on One Pine. There are more areas on Birch that were simply slushy snow on top of 3 inches of solid ice, and when my spud bar went through, water did not well up very long or very hard, so the ice doesn't seem to be getting weighed down too hard. Other areas were solid 5 inches, and others just like the crust/water/ice of One Pine. There was one guy fishing on Birch.

In no case was snow or snow/slush deeper than 3-4 inches. This will all be tightening up even further with the temps we're getting starting tonight.

So for my money, when you figure that and the guys fishing Shag the last couple of days, it's game on for the weekend. But as always, use care and all available precautions. We know that even thick ice can have open spots and unexpected pockets of thin ice, and when the whole ice sheet is in this condition, it can be even more uncertain.

Falls Motel - Right now some ice forming in the Rainey Lake bays,we do have a lot of snow. The snow is suppose to stop and the weather call for colder temps.

Central Minnesota

12/20

shizzy - yesterday (12/19) on Twin lakes in Crystal. 6" of good black ice, 12" of white frozen stuff and only a few inches of snow.

Appledoorn's Sunset Bay Resort, Mille Lacs - Most areas are now showing 15 -16 inches

Betsy Ross Resort, Lake Ida - we have 12 inches of ice on Ida out in front of the resort. They are driving out with cars now.

dtro - Was on a couple of lakes on the Sauk Chain on Sat. One lake had about 6-7" and moderate slush. The other lake had 9-10" and minimal slush.

ben karas - was on west rush and their were pickups on the ice? 8"

Zoob - 12/19/2010 (Sunday) - South Lindstrom Lake - Lindstrom, MN: About 30 yards off shore, 8 inches of ice (maybe 5 solid, 3 white). A good 3 inches of standing water/slush on the bottom layer of 5-7 inches of snow. Punch any holes, and the slush water fills up the whole area. Can't be great for floorless shelters. Sure wish we'd get a big freeze to help lock in that slush.

ttttedttt - 12 in of ice on Ottertail in Ottertail county. Trucks are even driving on the ice.

Freedom81 - Small(200-acre) lake north of Cambridge had 6.5" good ice

icekid10 - Was out on Bald Eagle in the NE metro tonight from about 230 to 7. 8 inches of good black ice then 3inches of slush on top of the ice then about 8 inches of snow on top of the slush. Man was that a fun walk...

Zoob - South Lindstrom Lake - Lindstrom, MN: I checked the same location that I reported a couple weeks back - now it's 7-8 inches in spots, but white ice with a good 6-9 inches of snow on top (and only very thin layer of slush). I still don't trust it. Nobody's out on the lake yet, except for some folks still in the channel between Lindstrom and Chisago lakes.

Freedom81 - Eagle Lake, Maple Grove SE corner: walked a LONG way out through deep snow and slush; very tiring!!! First hole 12 FOW found 5.5" ice with water, 5" slush, and snowpack on top. Went another 50 yards and drilled holes and set-up house, almost set-up when heard a HUGE crack underfoot. Checked the ice, turned out to be 4" with same 5" water, slush, and snow on top. The water came almost up to the top of the snowpack, with a definitive layer of water between good ice and snow. I felt uneasy the entire time. Sitting warm and comfy at home, I think the crack might have been in the top layer of slush freeze... at least that's what i'm telling myself to feel better about the whole situation smile

12/14

vexi - I was on Big Stone, Oliver, and Minnewaska since thursday with ice in the 9 to 11 inch range, no slush and minimal snow cover.

baitshopboy - ice on rush in ottertail count was from 8-10 with a couple spots that tipped 13

"A bad day of fishin is better than a good day at home!!"

12/09

Appledoorn's Sunset Bay Resort, Mille Lacs - We now have 10 inches and it's growing smile

12/08

speedbump - I went out on Whaletail yesterday and found 7" everyplace I drilled. I then went to Minnetonka and drilled the South Upper Lake. Only found 3" and some very loud cracking so I left. Keep in mind that the area I checked on Tonka was one of the last that I saw freeze. There has only been ice there for about a week.

IceCrappie - Out on few lakes just outside Stillwater this afternoon, had a solid 6" of black ice with hardly any slush. Demontreville had a bad spot 50' out of the landing to the left a bit (right on the half plowed path), I suggest sticking to the path on the right. I'm bout 140lbs and got the ice to crack real good to the left.

Gissert - 9 inches on the west end of Ottertail tonight

FLAG!! - SUN 12/5- Upper Prior 4"-5" consistently south of Twin Island until we got out to 35-40 FOW where it was only 3" and a little spooky. The crappies were finicky as heck, marked a million and threw the box at em but could only entice 2 to bite. Maybe they pigged out last week?

fishwacker1 - Hydes Lake - West of Waconia, 6.125 - 7.5 inches from bottom of ice to waterline. Every 30 yards to center of lake. Ice was actually thinner near shore.

icekid10 - 4-6 inches on a northeast metro lake with about 5 inches of fluffy snow on top of that

12/5

- We currently have 5 inches in our bay and 7-8 inches in the southern bay. Main lake 2-3

silverbulletguy - 6 up to 8 on Avon area lake. Couple inches of snow and a little slush after drilling holes. Couple of average sunnies and lots of little perch. Good to be on the ice again.

frazwood - I fished a small lake in the northern metro this morning. There was about 5 inches of black ice, with about another ice of white ice/slush on top of that. When I shoveled off the snow to fish, water pooled on the surface.

Zoob - South Lindstrom Lake (Sat Dec 04):

* North end of the lake, I walked out about 20 yards and drilled a hole, it was only 4.5 inches - and it was all white ice.

* The channel between Lindstrom and Chisago must be doing better - I counted around 12 ice houses on it already.

After last week's warm rain, we got this nice blanket of snow. I'd wait another week before even thinking about venturing onto the main body of the lake. I just don't trust that 4 inches of white ice near shore.

Dhow - Fished a couple hundred yards out on centerville last night, measured 7.5"... Caught some small crappies and sunfish

LPCrowRiverFisherman - 6-8" of ice on a couple smaller hutchinson and buffalo area lakes

Panfish - 3 to 4 inches on big carnelian just out from the access

blackdog1101 - I was out on the western end of Lake Minnetonka today and had 5+ inches of good clear ice. Of course there was about 6" of fluffy snow on top, but the ice seemed good. It was so great to be out on the ice again!

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larso

12/02

Betsy Ross Resort, Lake Ida - We have 7 inches of good ice out in Little Ida right in front of Betsy Ross Resort. Ive got my house out and we are catching walleye! - Paul

dmichaelm - Talked to some guys at the landing on Medicine today that had just walked out to look. I was there a week ago and it was wide open. They reported 2" about 75yds from shore.

scottie56005 - Le Sueur area and some of Scott county: Clear Lake (Le Sueur) 4-5" on shore, and 3" about 30' out and 2" about 50. Not safe really even that far out. Quality is poor and has refroze in many area. No black ice, all cloudy and not very good ice. No one fishing yet. Prior lake (Scott) Closed one day open the next. Shores are hit n miss with anything from open water to 3". Cedar (Scott) south-south east have the most with 3-4" and the north-north east with 1-3" Have heard that Fish (scott) is locked but not with minimal ice. Same for Carls (scott) with a little more possibly.

Southern Minnesota

12/20

TyGuy02 - spent today and wed on spring lake in Polk co and only 5 inches of good ice and 3-4 of white ice.

Zelmsdawg - Ice on hunt lake in rice co was almost 6" but with 2" of slush on top and 8" of snow on top of that.

12/14

bowhunt - There was 2 inches of slush and white ice on top of around 6 inches of good ice on Zumbra today. I stayed pretty close to the launch though, not sure on the rest of the lake.

12/08

SKEETER-B - Was on Round Lake today we had 8 inches where we were. Lots of shacks on the ice, its so good to be back on the hardwater.

12/05

tjbassmaster - Just got back from eagle lake west of Mountain Lake had 9" every where I tried.

dtro - Horseshoe lake on the Sauk River Chain had 6" of good looking ice with an inch of the white stuff on top. Had some moderate slush from the weight of recent snow, where we drilled holes.

tjbassmaster - 7" on kansas and st.james here in southern mn.

12/02

SKEETER-B - We have 5 1/2 inches on the creamery pond in Luverne Mn.

Out-State

12/08

Gatorbait - Icereport for Central Wisconsin. A majority of shallow millponds (Harrisville, Auraville, Wautoma upper and lower), sloughs and boat inlets on Big Green Lake are covered with 3-6’ of ice. Most main body lakes in Waushara county and surrounding counties are just now capping over with 1-2’ 100yds out. Lake Poygan has very sketchy ice right now with 2-4’ 500yds from shore. Ice on this lake as usual, varies in location and is spotty at best. I would give this lake a minimum of one more week with the cold weather coming in. Lake Winnebago – Asylum Bay and Millers Bay is averaging about 3-6’ right now. Bought as good as it gets on the big girl. Stay close and stay shallow is the only opportunity here right now. All I have for now, will report again on Monday.

bgreen82 - had 5-6" just across the border in sconni about 50 yards out from shore over 15 feet of water.

11/28

LeeMB - south end of Lake Winnipeg in manitoba has a 6"of ice on it

Jarrod32 - Northeast South Dakota: Most small lakes are locked up; larger lakes still have some open water. Richmond Lake near Aberdeen is completely iced over. Snow cover varies greatly; some lakes have significant snow cover, some lakes (like Richmond) have none.

11/25

Agronomist_at_IA - Getting some skim ice in NW Iowa. Some of the shallow ponds, slews, and pit are fully skimmed over. Larger and deeper bodies of water just have skim ice around the edges.

Little Stanchfield, N of Cambridge is covered with ice and now snow. Walked on the lake near the shore line earlier today. Heard severe cracking as I got about 5 ft out. I would say 1-2 inches on the lake now. River fed lake so probably will be awhile.

Was in the lake country east of Fergus Falls last weekend, small ponds without current were iced over, small lakes were forming ice around edges. Will be headed to Ottertail County tomorrow to do some more checking. Stay tuned.

Brainerd area:

371 Bay on North Long is froze, but still not safe for walking. Lots of smaller lakes froze with 1-2 inches of ice.

Larger lakes are still wide open.

We have about 4 inches of snow on the ground an on lakes frozen earlier in the week.

West central Mn.

Oliver- West side of road locked up as far as I could see. East side 80% iced up with around 1000 or more geese keeping the rest open, not just in one spot but holes all over the ice sheet.

Lac Qui Parle- form twin bridges ice as far as I could see except right under the bridges of course.

Did not stop to check thickness as I was on my way to the inlaws for turkey day.