• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Now what do you think of the zone 3 antler restrictions

John478

When I first heard that they where implementing the 4 point antler restriction this year I was kind of on the neutral side of it. Thought well it I start seeing more bigger bucks in the next couple of years it won’t be so bad. What I didn’t realize was how hard it is count points in a hunting situation.

I hunt the 338A season this year it was a lottery area and I did not get a doe permit. On Sunday night of the first weekend I left my stand about 45 minutes early (hadn’t see a deer yet) I’m walking a field road back to my truck I walked past a heavily wooded fence and when I got to the other side here stood a doe about 20 yards away. I put my gun up just for grins when all of a sudden a buck jumps out of the fence line and stands there broad side looking at me. Well you know what you can’t count points when there looking straight at they all line up. The rack looked big enough he should have be an 8 pointer but I couldn’t say for sure. So needless to say in the amount of time I hesitated he ran off

A coworker of mine had a buck at about 40 yards and even with binoculars he couldn’t say for sure it had 4 points on one antler.

So I have to say I’m not a big fan of the 4 point restriction and hope we don’t see it again next year

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know one thing, you will get almost all bow hunters saying that it is great, but I hear you that it is not every situation where you will get a chance to see a deer both broadside and looking straight on. Luckly, the buck I shot had forked G2S cause I only saw him broadside.

A long time ago I was for APR's.

Recently I have been opposed to them, and still am.

Hopefully in two years enough zone 3 hunters haven't given up hunting zone 3 that we can get a clear picture of any changed opinions. Or I guess it could be said hopefully the area doesn't get flooded with trophy hunters so that we can get a clear picture of any changed opinions.

Lots of upset hunters would result but way more nice bucks would be the result. Pretty tough for a guy looking for venison though if he doesnt get a doe tag.

I guess I don't get it. It'd be okay to upset a lot of hunters and keep people from getting the venison they really want as long as the trade off is a few people getting their trophy's on the wall??

For those that don't want to count points maybe we could arrange a trade of hunting areas with those of that want bigger bucks on the properties we hunt. Even without antler point restrictions I know how big the buck is before I shoot it, otherwise I wouldn't pull the trigger.

For those that don't want to count points maybe we could arrange a trade of hunting areas with those of that want bigger bucks on the properties we hunt. Even without antler point restrictions I know how big the buck is before I shoot it, otherwise I wouldn't pull the trigger.

+1

I hated it yesterday, I stalked what I thought was a good sized doe. I started at 200 yards and got to about 65 yards and it popped its head up as I had my gun drawn. I then noticed that she was actually a he and had some head gear. I didn't have binoculars and at that distance I couldn't tell points. Well he figured out he was in danger and bolted after about a 10 sec stair down. I couldn't count the points so I couldn't shoot. Ohh well that makes 2 slot bucks for the year and I still haven't got my deer.

As I don't kill small bucks, I would love to see antler size restrictions set state-wide. Although some folks would bellyache for the first couple of years, by years three and four, the number of older bucks would increase enough so that hunters in areas where big bucks are currently uncommon would be seeing more and more quality deer.

I've never understood how any experienced hunter could be satisfied with shooting small deer year after year.

+2

I am all for it! Hopefully around the whole state or atleast the whole shotgun area i would love to see it. If a deer is moving too fast or too far for you to count antlers most likely its not a good shot anyways.

Right on DHost.

I posted that exact thought the other day. APR is an idea that is great to stop the idiots from shooting at anything with brown fur and 4 legs; no matter the quality of the shot.

This will dang near put a stop to that [PoorWordUsage].

...APR is an idea that is great to stop the idiots from shooting at anything with brown fur and 4 legs; no matter the quality of the shot.

This will dang near put a stop to that [PoorWordUsage].

bull...t

You have no a guarantee of that. It is wishful thinking. Are you sure they won't shoot first and id later?

The ones I have read complaining (<--might be the wrong wording) the most about zone 3's APR's are the guys that care about their shot.

I like it alot, great idea even though I could easily think I got screwed by the new regs since I shot a nice 8 on halloween, then opening day of shotgun had a 150" 10 at about 20 yards.... i was kinda bummed for about 2 seconds then I thought it was just cool to watch a buck like that up close.

And to those who don't shoot because you are not sure if has 4 on one side. FIrst I commend you for showing restraint and second what you described is what is going to ensure more mature deer roam the land in the very near future, we will see results in about 2 years.

You say [PoorWordUsage] Jameson??

Its illegal in zone 3. APR is in effect and its the law.

Most hunters are honorable people. So it will cull out a lot of people that shoot at anything because they can. Just because people are hack hunters, doesnt mean they arent honorable people and follow laws. yes, some will just be jerk-baits and do whatever. We see it every week in Cuffs and Collars in ODN.

So you really think APR will be ignored on a grand scale by most and just shoot to let deer potentially lay? Now thats silly thinking.