• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need advice on getting out stuck boat seat pedestals?

mr_jman

Are the taper lock type? About 2 1/2" diameter with a tab to press for unlocking? If so, have one person press the tab and pull up while a second person rocks the post side to side. These are a PITA to get out once they stick.

I had a taper lock pedestal I always had trouble with. Last resort is to unscrew the base from the boat deck, put it on the workbench, cinch down the locking tab with a tie wrap and beat the pedestal off the base, or the base off the pedestal, with a rubber hammer. I don't have a permanent solution to keep it from sticking again though. I tried cleaning up the socket and the taper lock insert, but a few weeks later it was stuck again. Don't use any kind of lubricant, that's not safe.

Ron.

If the style lets you twist the pedestal in the base, try to twist it by hand. Might take 2 guys working together to twist it.

If you can't twist it, raise the pedestal all the way and try rocking the pedestal back and forth, and work all the way around a circle to rock it in all directions.

If that doesn't work, try pounding on the pedestal near the base with a rubber mallet, or even try thumping it with a rubber-coated anchor.

While you're doing this, make sure you're not flexing the floor or ripping the base loose from the floor.

I don't like the idea of spraying lube in there (it's already too tight and stuck) and I don't like the idea of trying to hammer a screwdriver in there (you're trying to get it out, not damage it).

As a last resort I'd remove the base from the boat and then try to pound the base off the pedestal.

Good luck, it can be a real pain in the a$$ when they're stuck.

We tried everything on a resort boat a couple years ago, we were trying to remove the seats and posts to make room for our muskie gear, we tried for 2 hours and never got either to budge. Boat was only a couple years old to, tried everything from our hands to a 48" pipe wrench and a BFH. I have the 3/4 posts in my new rig first things I removed when I got the boat were all but the drivers seat.

As mentioned above spray with WD-40. Let sit.

Then if you can (depending on how long the pedastal is..) bend over and lay down with your stomach on top of the seat and your hands down around the base where the post goes in. Put your hand around the base while laying with your stomach on the seat and then gently rock back and forth and a little side to side. At the same time kind of pull to each side with your hands as your rocking back and forth. I know this sounds counter-intuitive to put more weight on the seat/pedastal...but if you do it right and gently rock side to side and back and forth - your weight will help to unlock where it is sticking. I have tried this numerous times on my old Lund when nothing else would work - and it has worked every time.

Good luck!

i used to have that problem, but once you get the seat out put a big washer in the base and you wont have to worry about it sticking again.

the washer keeps the wedge from seating so tight. just be a little careful until you get used to it cause the seat will rock a little.

My seats can be removed from the pedestals. If you can do that too, I'd take off the seats and put a big pipe wrench on the top. It would be best if you had too big pipe wrenches on opposite sides, using too people to put equal pressure on that pedestal.

I've got one semi-difficult pedestal on my 2009 boat. I'm going to try the washer idea. That's a great solution.

After I got my Ranger,I had a **ll of a time moving my seats around.

I found using my bike chain lube "White Lightning" on the seat post worked great.The post came out so much easier without me getting on my knees-wedging myself under the seat pushing....It's a wax product-one treatment worked all summer long-I'll do an application this spring.

Hi Everyone, new to this forum and thanks for the advice on removing a stuck seat pedestal but the above didnt work and I almost had a heart attack smile. Actually ended up using two jacks (Borrowed one from my father) and placed one on either side of the (Underside) of the stuck chairs and used a zip tie to make sure the pin was pressed in. I slowly added pressure evenly on the two jacks until the seat post popped out of the base...no lubricant. Came out in one piece with no damage...with a loud POP. Just thought I'd share. Just make sure your seat is cranked onto the post prior to raising the jacks. Good luck. I also added a video on youtube of the process: