• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Permanent stand ideas-pics please

I tried doing a search for the topic but came up empty. I am thinking about purchasing land for deer hunting for next season and it got me asking my friends questions about what they most like about their permanent stands. Thought I'd open up the forum to some ideas about construction ideas to incorporate in a stand and some "don'ts". So if you have some pictures and ideas to share please feel free. I am looking at building stands that are probably 4x6 or 6x6 or similar in size as of right now. Not interested in campers in the sky. shocked

I switched over from permanent stands to ladder stands on my land. You can't beat the comfort of a permanent, but I like the mobility of the ladder stands as I find that the woods change over time, as do the deer patterns. The ladder stands are more mobile and still pretty comfortable. I have a couple 2-man stands and then some singles. I lock them to the tree and leave them out all year as if they are permenant, then as I scuot in the early fall I may move them some depending on what I find. Some have not been moved in years, others move anually. Just a thought as a lot depends on the type of land you have as well.

Personally, I would never use trees for a stand. The movement of the trees can loosen the nails/screws.

Sure there are some stands that have been up for eons, but still has its risks.

The stilt stands are the best idea in my opinion. It also gives you the flexibility to move it to a better vantage point if needed.

I built this stand 4 years ago. This year there were 4 deer taken out of it. I think it cost me about $350 in materials. I built and painted it in my driveway. Then disassembled it and hauled it to the location on a small snowmobile trailer. Then we reassembled it at the spot you see. The legs and floor I left assembled. I just tipped it upright off the trailer and screwed the walls, roof, and ladder on next. It took less than 2 hours.

full-1027-3689-deerstanda.jpg

This is my son with his doe. You can see the stand in the background.

full-1027-3690-hunting2010020.jpg

Nels Bells,

VERY NICE...I like that stand a lot, but I have a couple of quick questions for you. Your stand has alot of windows in it, aren't you a little afraid that the deer might see you in there with some movement????? Can you tell me a little more about the wall, window, and roof construction?

Here are a couple we made this fall.

Built the roofed one up 90% and hauled it out like that. Just put the tin on the roof and the plywood on the walls on site.

3 more like the roofed one next year.

Total cost.... No where close to $50. All cull lumber, free tin, and the cost of nails/scres.

Newdeerstands1.jpg

Newdeerstands2.jpg

Newdeerstands3.jpg

Newdeerstands4.jpg

Newdeerstands5.jpg

Newdeerstands6.jpg

Newdeerstands7.jpg

Newdeerstands8.jpg

Newdeerstands10-1.jpg

I built this stand 4 years ago. This year there were 4 deer taken out of it. I think it cost me about $350 in materials. I built and painted it in my driveway. Then disassembled it and hauled it to the location on a small snowmobile trailer. Then we reassembled it at the spot you see. The legs and floor I left assembled. I just tipped it upright off the trailer and screwed the walls, roof, and ladder on next. It took less than 2 hours.

full-1027-3689-deerstanda.jpg

This is my son with his doe. You can see the stand in the background.

full-1027-3690-hunting2010020.jpg

That is AWESOME!

Nels Bells,

VERY NICE...I like that stand a lot, but I have a couple of quick questions for you. Your stand has alot of windows in it, aren't you a little afraid that the deer might see you in there with some movement????? Can you tell me a little more about the wall, window, and roof construction?

I made the windows large so that I could bow hunt out of it. I was a little concerned about the number and size of the windows at first, but we have never had a deer spook because they saw us...that we know of and my kids are always moving around. Two of the deer that were shot this year, walked within 15 yards of the stand. I think the deer are just so used to the stand that they don't pay much attention to it. We have 2 swivel office chairs and a piece of removable carpet inside.

The walls and roof are 1/2" plywood and the floor is 3/4". The roof and floor are treated plywood. The walls and roof are framed in a way that you can take it apart easily. The windows are just plexiglass and they slide. They do fog up if you turn the heat up to much. Also, there is an adjustable cable that is attached to the bottom center of the floor and then to an earth anchor, so that it doesn't blow over. The legs are also buried about 6" in the ground.

I wish I had drawn up some plans when I made it because I need to make another one for my daughter.

Nels

Nels-Bells,

Great looking stand. It looks like its 4x8? Would you build the next one any bigger? How did you make the windows so they slide?

It is just under 4 X 8'. The roof is a 4 X 8 sheet and I wanted it to slope to one side with about a 1" overhang around it. It is a little bit too narrow to draw my bow back without hitting the other wall if I'm shooting straight out the big windows. 6'x 8' would be better but obviously cost more.

The windows are pretty simple. I can lift them up and pull the bottom of the glass out to remove them for bow hunting and for cleaning.

Nels

We did a new one this year that is 5ft by 4ft 6inches....7 ft high on the high side with a 2/12 pitch on the roof. 2x2 framing and tin on the roof and 3 walls. Plywood exterior on the 4th wall to accomodate the door etc. We fashioned a sliding/ removeable window on all 4 sides out of old vinyl combination storm windows. The 5x5ft size seems to be about perfect size....the old 4x4ft ones on site are too cramped....and you can still see out all 4 ways easily. The windows you can come up with will determine a lot of the construction details. We need to replace both old 4x4fters for safety and 5x5s are what they will be. Good luck with your project. Old carpet on the floor quiets it down well.

Nels,

How tall is the actual box of the blind?

Did you use a 4 x 8 panel and cut is down the sides for the slope?

I can't remember if it is 8' at its tallest side. I'm 6' tall and the roof is taller than me on the short side. It might be more like 7'6" on the tall side and 6'6" on the short. It is nice to have the room above the windows for shelves and hooks.

Nels

Thx,

I showed the wife a picture of yours and I added that we could use it for overflow sleeping at the cabin. She said I should make it 8' x 8' then.

Be careful about going too big. If you sit in the middle, you wont be able to rest your arms/barrel on the sides. If you sit on one side, you wont be able to shoot 360 degrees.