• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

in need of new flasher

FearNoFish

For what its worth I have been running a Vexilar fl8 since 97/98 and I have never had a problem with it. It has helped me tremendously and it has been durable beyond anything I could have asked for or expected. You can't go wrong with them at all. I do think they are now asking a lot for what they are offering now BUT you can not go wrong with them.

With that being said if I were getting a new sonar NOW I would either get a showdown sonar(if my budget was tight) or a humminbird ICE-xx series flasher.

The showdown is very easy to use and you get a lot of features for the money. PLUS its update-able with new software. So each year as they fine tune the software it gets better and better. That is simply something that isn't even available with a flasher. So every year you have it, (if you update it) the sonar is better.

I am personally getting a Humminbird 45 this year because its the nicest fit for my kind of fishing and I like the features the best. With the 45 and 55 you get automatic depth control, a lcd display with depth and zoom readout, dual beam transducer and with the 55 you get a target line and changeable colors. Personally, the way the zoom works, the auto depth control and the lcd display have me sold on it.

While I have no problems with the marcums I just don't care for them myself. I know they do work great and have target separation that is really good. They have proven themselves to be a wonderful product and I'm sure any of their flashers would work great. They have quite a following and have proven themselves in the field.

Any way you do it you are gonna get a good product. The best way to see whats best is to get out and see for your self whats best. I myself was gonna get a new vexilar until I saw the humminbird in person and figured it out. So there ya go, Get out there and get your hands on each of them.

Deadeye you will like the bird,my buddy has the 55 and other then sending it in for a new head unit he likes it. His first one the bottom kept jumping on him.They sent him a new head and he got to keep his old one with no issues at all! I like the large display vs my vex but I can't see spending that money until my fl-8se is dead. wink that said guess i will be buying a new flasher in 20 yrs grin

The showdown is very easy to use and you get a lot of features for the money. PLUS its update-able with new software. So each year as they fine tune the software it gets better and better. That is simply something that isn't even available with a flasher. So every year you have it, (if you update it) the sonar is better.

Don't you have to pay like $50 each time to do the updates?

Don't you have to pay like $50 each time to do the updates?

Maybe they changed it but I have sent my Dad's in for updates twice and it was free short of return shipping. Either way its still a bargain if you look at how many comparable features you get for the dough. While I am still stuck on a flasher cause thats what I like best I got to admit if I was just getting into the game it would be hard to pass up on the Showdown.

I bought a showdown last yr and sold it a month later. Even though it has an "ice mode" for colder days, the lcd screen was slow and didnt pick up my jigging very well. Might not be an issue if you fish in a fishhouse but if its chilly and your out in the open you will definitely notice the delay imo..

I hate to disagree with you dead eye but i thought the user menu on the showdown was a bit of a hassle. And we had some issues with it finding bottom when i would 1st turn it on. All I can say is i was a very happy man the day it sold and i got all my $$$ back..

I also waited many years for my FL-8 to die, before getting a newer technology unit. I finally gave up ,as it is never gonna quit. I bought a Humminbird Ice-55. The Humminbird is great in the shack as it does not get interference from the Vexs., my buddies use. Hard to go wrong with a Vexilar.

I ended up finally getting a new ICE-45 today and I got to say it works pretty nice. After putzing around with the ones in the stores I pretty much knew what to expect with it and getting it out on the ice for a little bit today confirmed how much I like it.

The lcd and zoom really are nice. Its nice to see in plain numbers how deep I am fishing in. The zoom also works very well. The display is so much more crisp and clear than my vexilar is too.

I can't say that its going to make me a better fisherman than my vex but the extra features are really nice. It seems like a lot of bang for the buck.