• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

in need of new flasher

FearNoFish

Hello to all,

I know this has been talked about but I could not find any threads about this if any one can point me in the right direction, Thank You.

I am in search of a new flasher this ice fishing season, currently I have a lowrance x67 ice machine not a bad unit but it is affected by other peoples flasher units.

So who has pro's and con's of hummingbird, vexilar, showdown, or any other fishing aid.

I understand that folks will have personal opions on which units are better then others, please only the facts, run time, ease of use.

Also I fish central Minnesota lakes mostly for panfish but a trip or two to the big pond (millacs) happens over the winter.

any help or coments are appreated.

Im a shallow water fisherman for the most part so I opted for the new Vexilar Fl-22 which is supposedly perfect for the shallows. If I was to always fish 20 ft. and beyond Id go for a Marcum Lx-5. With the rebates the LX-5 would be a good deal.

I really dont think you'll catch any more fish with a Vex, Marcum or HB vs your x67 but the interference problem will certainly decrease.

I fish here in Sask, Canada and I'm usually the only one with a flasher so I've never had to deal with interference.

Cheers!!

Do you have a budget?

No kidding either... these things are not for those with thin wallets. I was looking at upgrading the FL-8 that I have had for like 9 years. Looks like I will be using it another 9 years.

What I am looking at is the FL-20 or 22 HD.. I really like the tribeam and low power options.

Enjoy your search!

I'd get a vex because their IR is what I would say the best on the market

Vexs are good flashrs but I wouldn't say their IR is the best ---- actually I'd say it's the worst if you're around other flashrs. It's just one thing to consider as you look at all the options and make your decision. Good luck and have fun shopping!

If you only want facts, create your own speadsheet with a list of features on it. Go to all the different websites and find out what each flasher has. Mark it on the spreadsheet and compare the different brands and models. I did that when I was looking for a $300 flasher a couple years ago. I found out the Humminbird ICE-35 was the best choice for me. Just spend a little time and you will find what you are looking for.

I ran an fl-18 for a few years before I upgraded to a fl-20 and loved it. Very easy to use, and the bottom zoom is a great feature. I have used an fl-8 and fl-12 before and they are both super easy to use, and don't make as big of a dent in the pocketbook.

The bottom line is you will catch more fish no matter what brand or model of flasher you choose!

I was a happy Vex owner for many years UNTIL I tried out a Marcum, I now own 2 LX-5's and have yet to find a situation where the Vex out preforms my LX. I fish with Vex's next to my LX alot and we don't have interference issues. Both will help you catch fish but for the money Marcum offers you the most bang for your buck. If your fishing your Vex 1 on 1 with a Marcum 95% of the time there wont be a problem, add 2-3 Marcums you may not be able to use the Vex.

I own a Showdown, bought it 2 yrs ago. Like Bran32 I didn't have a handful of $$$ to throw down and looked @ it as a stepping stone. BUT like I said that was 2 years ago. My fishing partners have Vex, Marcums and humminbirds and I'd take mine hands down.

It's nice and quiet. Interference isn't an issue from ANY other unit (adjustable filtering). I can fish harder between charges than any of my buddies units. Cheaper out of pocket (although the cost has gone up....hummm). Easy to learn and use.Easy to read (vertical). And fishes just as well shallow as deeper.

Now w/ the good comes the bad....my screen fogs up in spring showers ( an issue they have corrected in newer units). It does run on a digital processor and I have been told that they don't like bumpy rides ( fast rough rides in on 4 wheelers or snowmachines.). On those really cold days you have to use the heater function for the LCD screen or it's tremendously slow. And it would be nice if it was more than a grey scale screen.

But I LOVE my showdown and if I was to buy another flasher type unit, I'd go with another Showdown.

It looks like all three major units are all well represented. I have a marcum vx-1 and it's just fine, so I bought my kid one for x-mas from FF because he was always using mine. Most guys whatever they have are going to say there's is the best and that's what's great about competition. Ford/Chevy, Polaris/Arctic Cat. etc. etc.

i believe vexilar is so popular because of the marketing, they are decent units, but as far as target seperation and IR goes, not the best. i used a marcum lx3tc for my 1st flasher and it worked great, never had any real gripes about it, until last year i bought a hummingbird ice 45, and now wont look back! the IR is awesome! i had another guy fish right next to me with his ice 35 and you could not tell we were even there. target seperation is decent, not as good as the marcum however, but the large easy to read screen offsets that. plus the ice 45 has a digital readout and auto mode for the newbie flasher user. have not had the chance to try out a showdown yet, but they dont seem to be too bad of units either. of course going with any flasher or some sort of electronics is a real plus, rather than having nothing at all. i should mention also, that hummingbird uses a different frequency than the other flashers on the market, thats why the IR is so good. plus i really see no need for a tri beam setup when a dual beam is just fine.

The Vex's are nice because they have so many options. There are several cases to chose from all with custom bags/covers as well. They also offer rod holders, lights, and even cup holders.

Got an Fl8, two FL8SLT's, FL18, and FL20, three of which are in ultra packs with covers, pretty nice set ups. My wife and I even have matching Vex jackets. Not the ice suits but regular jackets.

Used to own a Zercom color point, never tried a Marcum but would consider one no problem.

I feel all flashers do about the same thing and all will get the job done, that is IF the fish are willing to bite!!!

not to try and derail, but if one is looking to purchase a flasher for this season, when would be the best time to get a good price?

I was thinking of going to the ice show, but wasn't sure of the discounts.

Plan to pay full retail until at least half way through the season. I think most retail stores will sell out of flashers before they discount them. The end of the season may be the only time to get one "on sale".

The ice show would be a good starting point to wheel and deal. Other than that your next best bet would be a used one. Plenty of used ones out there.

I know vex's are very specific on there prices and i am sure the others are as well. I have been told that Vexilar sets the price not the stores that sell them. The stores only make approximately $50 per unit and are not allowed to sell them for any higher than Vexilars price point. If a company is caught selling them for higher than suggested Vexilar will not sell to that particular store any more. They are VERY strict on the pricing. Stores can sell for lower than the price point but with only a $50 difference you won't see them on sale very often anywhere. This is why you see these things for the same price at all stores that carry them. Check it out sometime. Go to different stores and see what the price is at each one and i bet they will all be the same price. Atleast that is what i have found. Doesn't matter where you go Cabelas, gander, scheels, bait stores, etc. Every place in Mankato has the exact same price no matter which store. The ice show may be your best bet at a deal. but i could be wrong. Good luck and if you do find a good deal let us know.

i own an fl-8se and a marcum lx-5. I've always had IR problems with it when fishing around other sonars. Especially when fishing with both my units. Just seemed like i could not get rid of all the interference unless i sit and try multiple combinations(pushing the IR button)to clear it up. My Lx-5 ROCKS! I push the IR once or twice and its clear everytime no matter on how many people i'm fishing by.

I've never fished with a humminbird but i heard they operate on completely different frequencies so you'll never get interference from a vex or marcum just other birds. just my 2 cents