• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lesson learned for pepperoi

mabr

Ok I did 4 lbs of pepporoni tonight and to say the least I wasnt impressed. No pork fat added (should have). It was so dry I coulndt eat it. Oh well lessons learned. going to have at least 40% fat from now on maybe more.

One good note though, got to try out the stuffer (it works good). Going to need to get a smaller stuffer tube for the small collogen casings.

Your recipe may not be that far off. When ever I buy it at the Italian Village (little store in west Duluth) it is very hard but that also makes it easy to slice thin for putting on top of pizza. If the flavor is good, slice it thin and see what it is like when it is heated up.

sorry the pepporoni didn't turn out for you. there are two reasons why pork trim is put into sausage [same can be said for those who use beef]. one is flavor and the other is moisture. i have never made pepperoni but i would say a 30 to 40 percent should be good in the trim dept. good luck.

Ok I did 4 lbs of pepporoni tonight and to say the least I wasnt impressed. No pork fat added (should have). It was so dry I coulndt eat it. Oh well lessons learned. going to have at least 40% fat from now on maybe more.

One good note though, got to try out the stuffer (it works good). Going to need to get a smaller stuffer tube for the small collogen casings.

Sounds like you had it at to high of a temp.At what temp did you cook it?Did you do it in your oven?

When making any sausage,including pepperoni,never have it in at more than 175 degrees.If you do.....all the fat will render out and it will be dry and crumbly.

I always make mine with 80-20 pork or beef with no fat venison.If you like it harder/firmer....use beef.If softer....use pork.

Yeah Ken I did it in the oven. Started at lowest setting 175 for an hour then bumped up to 250. Took forever to get internal temp to 160. I only used venison trimmed real well.

Im not giving up for sure. May have to get smoker for next batch.

Mabr.....you made your mistake when you raised the temp to 250.All the fat rendered out and the meat dried out.175 maximum.

You must let it stay at 175 until an internal temp of 150 is reached.It takes a few hours.As soon as it reaches 150....put it in the sink of cold water.Keep the water running until it feels cool to the touch.I then put it in the fridge until the next day before trying it.

You don't need more than 20% fat in the pork or beef.

I just finished making 8 sticks of Salami.Turned out great.

Yeah Ken I think the temp had alot to do with it. The recipe I followed called for it to go in at 200 for an hour and it would be done. I think not having any fat added was a huge factor as well. May try another batch this weekend and see .

When smoking pepperoni, sausage, salami you don't want the fat to melt and drip. Fat is an important ingrediant in all of the above and it needs to stay there. As said keep the smoker temp 170 tops and when internal temps of the product reaches 150 its done and time to shower the meat till internal temp is 120.

oven-gaked spicy venison pepperoni.3/4 lb. venison cubed- 1/4 lb. pork butt cubed. -1 1/2 level tsp. morton tender quik.- 3/4 tsp. black pepper.-1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes.- 1/2 tsp. whole mustard seeds.- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder.- 1/2 tsp. rolled and crushed fennel seeds.- 1/4 tsp. rolled and crushed whole anise seeds.- 1 tsp. liquid smoke or to taste./ grind venison and pork course. mix all the ingredients together with meat. grind through fine plate. divide in two equal portions into 1 1/2 in. rolls. wrap in foil and put into refrigerator overnight. unwrap sausage and put in a baking pan in oven at 325 f until internal temp reaches 160. refrigerate for three days or freeze. multiply all ingrediants for larger portions. i like to do smaller portions first to see how i like it, and then can add or subtract if needed. good luck.