• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pork or Beef in Venison Sausage?

I see most fresh and smoked sausage recipes call for port added at the rate 30 or 40% of the venison. I was told by a local butcher that he uses all beef in his sausages because they will keep longer in the freezer. I'm new to sausage making and am wondering if I use beef instead of pork will that make a huge difference?

again i say it's personal preferance. i use pork and have been for over 30 years. wrapped properly there is no differance with the freezing time between pork and beef. beef fat is cheaper, and that may be the reason some use beef more than pork. if your final product is any good it would be a surprise to last long in your freezer. beef is used more in smoked sausage than fresh and there is nothing wrong with using it. make two seperate batches and see which one you like better and go from there. make sure you use a cure if you smoke sausage. good luck.

Some traditional sausage recipes call for straight pork. Altering those by adding venison is OK but it is not going to be the same as straight pork.

Some recipes call for beef and pork. Replacing the beef with venison is meant to be.

I don't know of any sausage recipes that call for all beef so I wouldn't use beef and venison.

What type of sausage makes a difference as to what cut of pork you use as well.

Pork Butt is the most common and there isn't any type sausage I make that uses any pork cut other then that.

It is said that pork fat will go rancid in the freezer. That might be true but it has never happened to me.

Wrapping, freezer temps, and time probably make a difference there.

I used to use pork with my venison to make sausage but for the past couple years I have discontinued the practice. I simply add more water to the mix and it comes out plenty moist and I can enjoy venison sausage that actaully tastes like venison rather than pork or beef.

Good point of adding water Bob.

When stuffing its important that the meat stay cold so it doesn't smear.

Use ice chips, they add that moister and keep the meat cold.

Unfortunately venison is lean and what fat is there is undesirable.

Fat is an important ingredient in sausage and why its added to venison..

ask your local butcher if they can get you what is called picnic trim. it usualy comes in a 60 lb. box. [this is if you make a amount of venison sausage] it is usualy a 50/50 fat meat mix, and is a less expensive way to go than pork butt. adjust the pork trim to the type of sausage you are makeing. for example a 50 venison and 50 pork trim is good for breakfast and brats, however for italian you may want to go 70/30. good luck.