• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Remington 700 Lawsuits and such.

FYI - The CNBC special is on tomorrow at 9am in case anyone is interested, bad journalism and all. wink

If I were to purchase a rifle the 700 is most likely the model I would choose. In the end it's up to the consumer to handle the firearm responsibly and control the muzzle direction but that doesn't excuse Remington or any other company from shoddy craftsmanship. Controlling the muzzle was one of the first rules of handling firearms I recall learning, and don't depend on the safety was another which was derived from the first.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess non of us know all or maybe any of the true facts for that matter. We have to listen to Remington or the press and we know how they can twist things about.

IT's just Dan Steve. He is always slamming some company about something. I am glad I am not always that negative about everything.

It's simply what Dan does.

Where was I slamming Remington, Harvey? Did you bother to read where I said that if I purchase a rifle it would probably be the 700?

I am glad I am not always that negative about everything.

That's funny right there.

It's funny how the most popular hunting rifle (more than 5,000,000 sold!) in North America is such a dangerous and defective rifle...I have never heard of the trigger issue until the cnbc show and I own several 700's currently.

Over almost 60 years wouldn't us shooters and hunters have known about a "problem" with our 700's if it existed?

Jack Belk “Plaintiff Expert” on the show testified under oath that he has never been able to duplicate an accidental discharge of a Model 700 without a trigger pull in any of the accident guns he has examined.

If they are so dangerous then why did the US military just renew the Remington M24 rifle contract with over 15,000 rifles already in service???

Doesn't add up...

If anyone want's to get rid of their "big, dangerous, faulty" Remington 700 rifles I'LL TAKE THEM ALL!!!!

Isnt CNBC a knockoff of NBC ?I dont know if ya all remember way back in the late 70s when NBC had tried a simalar hatchet job to another american company called general motors they had an issue with chevy and gmc pickups they said being the gas tanks were placed outside the frame rails that they would explode on impact, some did from a just right shot ,but they tried about a dozen trucks smashing em and they wouldnt blow up,so to save face they filled the headlights up with gas and then filmed that,it worked, kaboom! but some gm techs took the film and ran it slow motion and they could see the spray out of the lights and then the ignition, our wonderful news organization got caught with their fingers in the cookie jar, they publicly apologized though so everthing was ok,from then on and to this day they have no respect in this household!and if want real proof on how wack they are just watch the haters they premier on MSNBC !!!

I suppose you got a point in the news cooking this story. If the news media doesn't have any credibility what good are they? I just assume a journalist wouldn't risk there career just for one story but its happen before. I Hope your right Harvey.

Well fellas, it may be that somebody "cooked" the story a bit but trust me,the news people don't wake up in the morning and say "Hey, I got an idea. Lets go paste together something sensational and have some fun." Doesn't work that way. The FACT is some of these rifles-note I said SOME- have fired when they are not supposed to. I know there are millions of them out there being used every day. But again, SOME of them have malfunctioned in a manner which COULD have killed somebody. We are left to speculate whether it is (a) a basic flaw in the design or (B) a combination of maintenance and design weakness. I suspect even Remington might not know.

BUT...the upside of this is that a few million people may have now checked their favorite rifle over more closely and a few million people may now be paying more attention to how and when they clean their rifle. And maybe some accidents that MIGHT have happened won't take place.

So maybe everybody, including people in these Forums learned something.

And THAT is what the communications business is all about. Right?

I suppose you got a point in the news cooking this story. If the news media doesn't have any credibility what good are they? I just assume a journalist wouldn't risk there career just for one story but its happen before. I Hope your right Harvey.

I hope so also. Everything I have found does not prove anything bad towards Remington. There is alot of hearsay and the people that said there was an issue, testified in court for Remington that the gun was ok.

With that being said, could there be an issue with not cleaning it correctly or thouroughly or could you have an issue if you play with the trigger pull, yes. But Remington says not top play with the trigger and to clean the gun well.

I am not saying Remington is 100% correct but it all leads to that conclusion.

Uftaz , for the sake of conversation, i will say that the media does have meetings on subjects that they want to promote weather its a product or politics or an agenda that they want everyone to see things there way!! just read stories in 2 or 3 papers and youll get 3 differant versions its that way with print news and on tv,i mean cmon man look how wonderful life was going to be for all being there boy became the president!!

So those that are saying remington is telling the truth...is the original poster lying? Is he working for NBC? Why would the man himself who design the triggers say what he did?

I don't trust the news that often as well or take it with a grain of salt but when the man who made it himself says something is wrong...well I may have to believe him (unless he has something to gain from this??)!

It appears from my understanding that there is a problem with these guns but are primarily affected by dirty or tampered triggers...but its still a problem dirty or not, they should not be firing without a trigger pull!

Here's my take. I don't know who is lying or spinning this. I will never buy a model 700 Remington. I'm not chancing it ,noway. Remington needs to do more to clear there name from this. They haven't done enough. Not for me to trust that gun manufacturer.

Who is twisting the truth is hard to say. Could there be an issue, yes.

I own many 700 rifles and have never had an issue but I can say this, I will for sure be a bit more careful with the 700's now that I see that there could be some type of problem. I always watch which way my muzzle is pointed and now I will have to make sure I am even more careful just to be as safe as possible.

I did take 5 of them to the range a week ago and tried like heck to get one to misfire but I could not.

Who knows but one does know that we all need to be mindful of what could happen.

The Remington 700 "Walker" trigger is flawed. Between the trigger and the sear, there is a separate piece, called the trigger connector. It essentially "floats" in contact with the trigger, and is held in place by the spring on the pull-weight adjusting screw. The engagement between the trigger connector and the sear is just 25-50 thousandths of an inch, and any play in the trigger-connector can result in this malfunction. Only a tiny fraction of a percent exhibit the malfunction. Remington's "fix" to this is to disable the bolt-lock so that you can unload the rifle with the safety on. That's only bypassing the problem, and not fully. If this malfunction occurs when the safety is on, the gun will not fire. Then, when you take the safety off, the gun fires without you pulling the trigger. That is not good! If you're concerned about the safety of your 700, have a gunsmith install an after-market trigger for it that blocks the trigger (the Walker trigger that comes with the gun has a safety that blocks the sear) and your problems are over.

For all those who believe that Remington has a flaw in the trigger, take at look at the article Field & Stream did on this 700 rifle.

Should lay all the bad trigger complaints to rest.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/hunt...del-700-trigger

They allow them on gun ranges, the militery has been using them for close to 40 years as a sniper rifle and approx 5 million have been sold.

If they were so bad, why does the militery still use them and why are they allowed on rifle ranges.

Seems that CNBC wants to make a big deal out of nothing.

dang! so manny arguments.... if you own a 700 put a snap cap in and keep openning and closing the bolt til it unexspectingly fires... there that solves the problem for you all keep doing it til it fires and if it never does discharge on you quit complaining about this topic... the 700 is a good gun, i believe that trigger jobs and unclean trigger areas can be a problem to the gun... if you never change the oil in a car will it still run? same thing for all firearms if you never clean it is it bound to have problems?

go to gander/cabelas ask them for a trigger job, they will say no why? because of things like this, get a trigger job from them and your gun goes off unexpectingly you can sue.... theres a reason for everything

First, I own a 700 CDL 25-06. Love the gun!

I've watched the CNBC special as well as Remington's response on their HSOforum. My opinion is that both Remington and CNBC may be correct to some degree. Anytime you build 5 million guns, you are going to have a handfull of them that malfunction. Is the Remington trigger truely faulty? I don't think we'll ever get the complete truth- just opinions.

I've read about this topic on various forums for 3 months now and can't stand some of the points people try to make (for or against Remington).

Here's my top 3:

1. From a Remington Defender- "None of the accidental deaths would ever have happened if they would have obeyed the Remington Commandment of keeping your muzzle pointed in a safe direction". To this comment, I say, regardless of who you are, how much experience you have in the field, and how safe of a hunter you are, you will at some point during the season, point your gun accidently in an unsafe direction.

2. "The army just ordered 2 million of them!" - You are not talking apples to apples here. An Army sniper is not shooting the same 700 BDL we buy at Gander Mtn. I'd assume the action will be bedded, and the 9 lb trigger will be worked.

3. "I own twelve 700 bdl's and I have never had an issue, therefore it's a great gun!" - well, good for you! From the reports, this is obviously an isolated issue. It sounds like 1 out of every 3000 guns has an issue to me. Not 1 out of 12.

Isnt CNBC a knockoff of NBC ?I dont know if ya all remember way back in the late 70s when NBC had tried a simalar hatchet job to another american company called general motors they had an issue with chevy and gmc pickups they said being the gas tanks were placed outside the frame rails that they would explode on impact,...

I am not old enough to remember the deal in the 70's but I know in the early '90's NBC was sued by GM over the same issue that they rigged the gas tank with an explosove device. GM's lawyer showed smoke coming from the gas tank six frames before the collision. One of the NBC reporters had to read a 3-minute on-air apology as a condition of the settlement.

So it definitely isn't inconceivable that they would doctor something up to sell a story. crazy