• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

South Dakota Pheasant Hunting

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

The 2010 South Dakota Pheasant Season will open at noon on Saturday, October 16.

Our annual brood route survey has revealed our bird numbers are holding strong, and with over 1.28 million acres of public access walk-in areas, over 300,000 acres of Game Production areas, and a new program called CREP (Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program) in the eastern part of the state that is continually adding acres of public access, South Dakota hunters should have a good year. To view maps of these areas, visit: http://arcgis.sd.gov/Wilma/mapping/mapping_public.aspx

More information on the season, visit: http://gfp.sd.gov/hunting/small-game/pheasants.aspx

To purchase a license to hunt pheasants in South Dakota, visit an authorized license dealer, or visit: https://apps.sd.gov/applications/gf82/login.asp

Who's going?

What do you have to say about South Dakota Pheasant Hunting??

And the opener on Saturday is looking like a beautiful day. And if you prefer fishing, you won't have much of a crowd on the lakes this weekend.

We got out last weekend for resident-only pheasant (which is limited to select public land)...took a long walk, about a half mile in to a walk-in area, and had a short shoot...got our limit in about 15 minutes. Picked up a few ducks along the way, too:

mixed%20bag2.jpg

I work this weekend, but should be able to be back out again the following weekend.

8 of us hunted opener. The most we hunted was 2 hours and that was the fourth and fith day. First day 24 in one tree line about 25-30 min. Did not see any other hunters. Had time to shoot yotes and P-dogs with the 7MM and .270 wsm. Really should have brought the fishing stuff! Be back in a few weeks!!

USDA crop reports show that 64% of the corn statewide had been harvested through Sunday the 24th (we were only at 9% this time last year!!)

Specifically for the central part of the state - would you say more or less than this figure has been picked? Just curious where and how this latest precipitation is having an affect...

I would say closer to 80% was picked as of yesterday, but they have not been picking anything since Saturday, and won't be for the next week or so.

We had a limit in under an hour the first day of our hunt, but after we pushed the birds out of the usual spots and into the few remaining stands of Sunflowers we had to work for them. For 4 hunters we took home 30 birds in 3 days so overall it was a good trip. If we could shoot just a little better there would have been no problem filling out. It was just fun to get my young lab out to SD for the first time.

I was in Kennebec last weekend and it was good. 90 birds, 10 guys, 3 days. They were heavy in the still standing corn. (took 3 hours each day approx, private land)

We're heading back out this weekend.

I'm not sure if Kimball will be the same though being on the other side of the river.

Best of luck.

I hunted around Huron this weekend on Saturday (all public land) and had the worst day of hunting I have ever had out there. I hunted by myself and my 2 shorthairs and there has never been a day ever regardless of the weather and conditions that I have not had an opportunity to shoot my limit of birds in a day.

I hunted from 1pm until dark and only saw 3 hens all day! We walked all kinds of areas, some with crops around, others that had crops harvested and it was the same result everywhere. I didnt even see many birds along the roads or even many other hunters. I was dumbfounded. Lots and lots of water, and alot of land is under water, not a good sign for that area.

The the last couple days hunted on private land around gettysburg with limits daily and lots of birds everywhere.

I wonder when guys talk about hunting private land, how many are referring to Hunting Lodges / Preserves?

When I mention private land, its basically friends or relatives land. You will never ever catch me paying any money what so ever to hunt pheasants at some of those lodges or preserves. I just dont see the need to pay when there are more than plenty of places to shoot "WILD" birds in this state and not pay money to do it.

Also a good resource for all the public walk in areas etc... can be found here:

http://gfp.sd.gov/hunting/areas/

some have all wild birds some are pen raised birds planted just before the field is walked.

I am sure some of them would be a blast to get wined and dined at, and if it didnt cost me anything to go to them I may. But its just isnt my thing, like I said you can shoot plenty of "WILD" birds for free in this state. Plus I just enjoy the challenge, there plenty of places where you can shoot your limit in a matter of minutes or walking one field. I prefer a long day out with lots of walking and getting some miles on my dogs.

I honestly think some people truly think thats what pheasant hunting is with the pen raised birds etc, but to each their own lol.

Man now I wish I wasnt stuck here and work and out working the dogs on the some birds.

No lodges, preserves or game farms for us. There are a bunch of them around though. See the trucks / buses every once in a while. We got into a couple farm birds this past weekend that had moved fields. We moved right away. Those birds are dumb and slow. Not much fun IMO. I heard some guys in the hotel saying they were paying $50/bird plus a per gun fee. Some other places charge $500 a day. Crazy.

We hunt about 11K-20K acres (depending on the year) of private land with all wild birds. Lots of fun. Just ask my rookie buddy I brought out last weekend. He's got a bruise the size of a cantaloupe on his arm/shoulder.

Well, just returned from the Great state of S.Dakota yesterday. We hunted the Kimball area for 5 days. Between 3 of us we brought home 35 out of a possible 45 birds. The limit was more than possible as the birds were plentiful, thus the aiming skills just weren't on track some days. Irregardless, coming home with a limit isn't the point for us. Took a 1st timer out this year, seeing a 60-80 bird flush was a rush enough to end the trip. Talked with a few ranchers who said it's prolly the best number wise in that area the past 20yrs. Personally my 1st time in that area so I wouldn't know if their right or not. All I know is I seen more birds than I've ever seen out there, ducks included. It was a blast. Most of the crops that were left up were being taken down on Wednesday/Thursday, in case anyone wanted to know. Good times had by all, by far my best trip out there yet. Thank You!