• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garlic

Big-Al

Anyone out there grow garlic? What variety? I grew german red. I had a banner year and am hoping to get next year's crop planted this week. I'm kind of glad it wasn't in the ground already since it may have started growing too much with the warm weather.

german red is a consistent grower in minnesota, you can also try music, armenian, polish white, merrifield rocambole, the list does on.....i am fortunate to have quite a few growers within an hour or so of where i live. once you eat fresh grown garlic, it is hard to go back to store bought!

We love garlic, but I've never had the garden space to grow it until now. I'll have to look up how long a growing season is required to see if it'll do well up here. Then I'll plant a couple rows in secret and when my wife sees it start coming up next spring it'll be a big and pleasant surprise. smile

Brownie points with the wife are ALWAYS a good idea smile

Cannot beat home grown grill roasted garlic on crackers...just be sure to cut the tips before grilling or they blow up in your grill, and believe me you DO NOT want to clean up THAT mess.

Good luck with your garlic.

Steve-

You will have no problem in Ely with the garlic. We planted in October and harvested about July 20 and had a bumper crop. And like everyone said, it is way better than what you buy in the store. We were eating the previous year's harvest right up until we harvested this year's so it kept great for us. I would hate to think what we would have spent on all the garlic we go through.

Thanks, guys. We've gotten fresh garden garlic from other folks before. All the more reason I might need scientific notation to tally the brownie points with the wife next summer! I'll git er done! Gotta see which of the two local greenhouses/nurseries has garlic starts for sale. gringrin

My wife planted the garlic yesterday. She put in 330 cloves of German Red. Spaced 6" x 6" x 6" deep. Mulched 6" deep. The soil moisture finally got to where it was real nice to work. Sure love that stuff.

If you read higher in the thread, I was advised to get some from a farmer's market which is what I did. I know that you can go online to buy.

It's pretty iffy to plant right now but I did it and we'll see what happens. I'm only out a few bucks in garlic if it fails! Give it a try.

Ideally you plant it so it's got a few weeks before last freeze-up to develop a bit of root structure, and even a few leaf shoots might come up. That way it's got a nice head start come spring. But you can plant garlic as long as the ground isn't too frozen to dig. It just doesn't get as much of a head start. It does better when it winters over than when planted in spring. Just be sure to mulch it heavily with straw or leaves to protect it.

Mine hasn't gone in yet. I'm planting it this morning. We're looking at several days of sun, highs of about 50 and lows at or just below freezing.

Because I've waited a bit too long, I'll put in a coldframe with heavy clear plastic for the next couple weeks to help them along before I mulch them in for winter.

SkunkedAgain-

I would love to meet up and trade some garlic. Especially if it would also involve some walleyes.

After worrying about my crop early in the spring because of the wet conditions it seems to be coming along OK. I should have some trading material.

full-1015-9316-garlic.jpg